Photo

[Fairfield] Essencia Verde condo (formerly Castana) | 4- & 3-storeys | Built - completed in 2010

• Please log in to reply
727 replies to this topic

#61 Number Six

Number Six
  • 261 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 05:01 PM

I'd be pretty surprised if the Food Country remains around much longer but I'd be perfectly happy to see it stay as it's where I shop... I just don't think it will. That said Mañana is all about waiting to see what surprises tomorrow has on offer.

I just they'd get on with it ... I told Max I'd dig the friggin' hole myself ... I have a shovel and I am MOTIVATED! I'm also seriously considering setting up a tent in my 500 sq. ft. patch of the Cook St. Bog ... I figure I gave Amadon 10% 21 months ago ... at least I'm owed a camping space. :-)

#62 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 05:07 PM

As I mentioned earlier in this thread FC is under the impression they're staying.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#63 silentmajority

silentmajority
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 05:17 PM

Don't get me started on the Fairfield Community Association! I still don't understand how they managed to have so much influence over this project and city council. They are such a negative group when it comes to progressive urban development.

Their Planning & Zoning Committee page on their web site is so out of date (last posting Nov/05) and they don't make it easy to become involved in the process. The site has no info on how to join their organization or get information on their activities and what their agenda is.

As a resident of Fairfield they do not speak for me and the majority of the residents in Fairfield that I have come in contact with when it comes to developement. Their approach and insistance on low density will only create more urban sprawl.

Lets hope in the future city council listens to all the residents of Faifield when it comes to development.

#64 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 05:27 PM

An important aspect to that is participation in the process. If as a resident you feel strongly for or against a particular project it is important to go to the public hearings and let council know what you think.

I try to put up notices of public hearings in the politics section from time to time but the City of Victoria website is far more accurate.

To be honest I don't know to much about the Fairfield Community Association but what you have said is quite interesting.

Anyways welcome to the forum! :-D I look forward to reading more of your posts.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#65 Scaper

Scaper
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 05:27 PM

Welcome to the Site. And thanks for the great info on this assoc. I too get extremely frustrated by this association. People on here also have had a hard time getting on the Vic West Association so I think other Associations are the same way.

As I see it, there are now three or four Fairfieldites on here now. :-D

again welcome to the site, and your informative post.

#66 Oxford Sutherland

Oxford Sutherland
  • 522 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 05:32 PM

One of my favourite things about Cook Street Village is that there is a floor of residential above many of the shops. That's good stuff! That's village style. There's no reason I can think of to be against having a floor or two of residential above the Food Country. Even Matticks Farm in Cordova Bay is 2 floors!

#67 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 05:35 PM

^ Here, here.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#68 Scaper

Scaper
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 05:36 PM

That should be mandatory. It's creates vibrancy for the area. That grocery store would even look better with three floors of retail above it. Hmmmm isn't this what the city did back in the late 1800's .....isn't this what these associations say we should replicate? unreal.

#69 Oxford Sutherland

Oxford Sutherland
  • 522 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 05:37 PM

Last time I checked, the average house in Fairfield is 2 floors, some are 3 floors. They wouldn't oppose someone if they wanted to build a 2 floor house would they? So why be against a floor above some shops?

#70 Scaper

Scaper
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 05:41 PM

^ good call on that one too. It's just assinine!!! <--- did I spell that right???

#71 Oxford Sutherland

Oxford Sutherland
  • 522 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 05:41 PM

This is village style! This is good stuff!

This is what makes a vibrant community!

#72 Oxford Sutherland

Oxford Sutherland
  • 522 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 05:47 PM

Uh oh....2 floors....the world might explode! :roll:

#73 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 05:51 PM

As Scaper mentioned, back in 04 I was quite eager to join the Vic West Community Association and even spoke with the chair (at the time) about a registration form. It never came. After coming in contact with the individual for a second time I asked about registration and, again, nothing. Since the website was out of tune with what was going on (as per your experience) I eventually gave up and decided to fend for myself.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#74 Oxford Sutherland

Oxford Sutherland
  • 522 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 06:02 PM

Retail below and residential above is a winning formula :tup:

#75 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 06:12 PM

^ Ho about ugly wood slats covering residential windows above Oxford Foods? Is that a winning formula?
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#76 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 06:14 PM

Yeah what is with that style? There is a place on Quadra that did that as well.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#77 Oxford Sutherland

Oxford Sutherland
  • 522 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 06:33 PM

^ Ho about ugly wood slats covering residential windows above Oxford Foods? Is that a winning formula?

Those are bad.

#78 Number Six

Number Six
  • 261 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 07:29 PM

The original Food Country proposal (referred to Castana Phase II this time last year) had, if I remember correctly, one floor of residences above the retail on Cook (to match Castana phase I) and a 2 or 3 story condo block behind it.

The style of the phase II buildings were complimentary but not identical to phase I. There was a small square envisioned on Cook Street, between the two buildings and centred around the large Chestnut tree. The pedistrian walkway between the buildings would have led to another square, essentially in the middle of the two phases.

I forgot to mention I was one of several community members asked to provide thier input over a series of meetings, which is why I know so much about it :-)

The community members were in strong agreement that the shops should be focused on serving the needs of the neighbourhood and that it was vital to provide a place for the community to hang out ... benches for seniors, bike racks, etc.. Go figure that this would be considered radical and a non-starter.

That said I think Amadon would have been in a better position to receive positive feedback if they had actually begun work on Phase I.

#79 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 07:41 PM

This is the final approved landscape plan that gives you an idea of what Number Six is talking about:
[url=http://imageshack.us:a8720][/url:a8720]

#80 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 07:56 PM

I talked to a couple of Food Country employees and they say the renovation is definitely NOT happening. This is good news--there is hope for second storey density some day in the future when cooler heads prevail.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users