Websites for Candidates

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 18 June 2008 - 04:03 PM

I am trying to find the websites of anyone running for any office in the Greater Victoria area. All I know of at the moment is for Dean Fortin. What else is out there?

#2 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 20 June 2008 - 11:05 AM

Dean Fortin
Lana Popham
Saanich Civic League

#3 Joseph

Joseph
  • 80 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 07:16 PM

The other anticipated mayoral candidates in Vic:

Chris Coleman - http://www.chriscoleman.ca/
Simon Nattress - http://simonformayor.com/

#4 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 08:02 PM

Wait...! It doesn't say anything about running for mayor on Coleman's site. Do you know something everyone else doesn't?
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#5 Joseph

Joseph
  • 80 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 09:24 PM

Wait...! It doesn't say anything about running for mayor on Coleman's site. Do you know something everyone else doesn't?

My listing was based entirely on speculation, gossip and my own suspicions. However, Coleman has stated publicly that he will be running for public office of one type or another and he seems to be the only candidate with a site that's still live.

#6 mat

mat
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 07:53 PM

Great thread, and it raises a few questions. If we can agree that it is important for all citizens, residents and voters to participate in all our elections - Federal, Provincial, Municipal and referendums - and that it is incumbent on the Governments (same as above) to not only regulate election spending, but to determine how and where election campaigning can occur - should we not demand that each candidate, in all elections, HAVE A FRIGGING WEBSITE!

Public money that is directed to political parties and candidates for election campaigning should be audited to ensure information is accessible to all. Not all of us can attend meetings, or even have access to them (Candidate meetings at the Union Club?) It should be incumbent on all candidates for political office to have a well maintained website - audited by an independent authority.

Any one else with thoughts on this?

#7 Joseph

Joseph
  • 80 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 12:36 PM

I'm not sure about requiring audits but definitely websites are a largely-overlooked resource in municipal politics and elections. There's a lot more that could be done with them then offering digital versions of candidates' already-vague brochures.

I know that Sony Chandler tried to pass a motion for 2008 candidates to have their own, limited, blurbs on the city's site or a publicly-funded sub site. In the end, it wasn't supported at all, but I think the lack of political enthusiasm for this proposal just goes to show that many councilors don't recognize the level of transparency voters and candidates would both appreciate. And it does make me wonder, sometimes; all of the our current elected officials know they have an extremely good chance of being re-elected, so where is their motivation to create an even-playing field in the elections? It seems like an oft-ignored gross conflict of interest.

#8 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 09:58 PM

Sonya Chandler has ~3 Facebook pages -- a personal page, a Victoria City Councilor page, and what I guess you'd call a professional page. That's pretty good for a local politician, and it gives her plenty of opportunities to establish networks and connections, and for "ordinary" people to write on her wall, give their opinion, offer feedback.

Good for her! I'd like to see more of our municipal leadership "display" themselves like this online. FWIW, I see that Lana Popham (Saanich) has a great FB presence, too.

But it's entirely possible to take one's online presence beyond the garden walls. Facebook is a walled garden, and it's important to get those rhizomes and tubers connecting in as many ways, below (and even above) the walls or barriers as possible...
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#9 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 11:14 PM

Sonya Chandler is a Green politician, which is a party that has shown a bit more savvy about the Interwebs than other parties.

#10 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 11:18 PM

Good for her! I'd like to see more of our municipal leadership "display" themselves like this online. FWIW, I see that Lana Popham (Saanich) has a great FB presence, too.

Lana Popham makes me ill.

EDIT: Let mke re-phrase that. I've met her twice, sold some home-improvement service and products to her. Her home and vineyard is pretty cool. She is a real nice person. It's her social-tinkering ideas that make me ill. Kind of like Jack Layton. I bet he'd make a awesome uncle but I'd hate to see him as PM.

#11 Lana Popham

Lana Popham
  • 15 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 05:43 AM

Social-tinkering? A healthy discussion is imperative to democracy. I am running for Saanich Council because I believe in positive change. Any of the ideas I bring forward are up for discussion and would always be happy to explain why I feel the way I do. An election is a time for change...unless everything is perfect. I don't think this is the case.

#12 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 08:10 AM

VicHockeyFan leans libertarian so I'm guessing Popham's advocation of a plastic bag ban fits his definition of social tinkering.

Myself, I'm balancing my God-given right to use a plastic bag in any way I choose with the knowledge these things cause irreversible environmental havoc.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#13 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 12:42 PM

Lana welcome to Vibrant Victoria! I am delighted to see a candidate posting here. Please feel free to expand on any of your ideas and positions over the coming months - and of course to clear up any misconceptions or misquotes in your own words.

#14 Lana Popham

Lana Popham
  • 15 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 03:31 PM

Thank-you Caramia!

#15 Lana Popham

Lana Popham
  • 15 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 07:21 AM

www.lanapopham.blogspot.com

www.lanapopham.ca

Just over 100 days until election day!

#16 Concerned Citizens

Concerned Citizens
  • 56 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 11:21 AM

CCC

Thanks for providing this service to citizen-voters in Victoria, Bernard! Congratulations to you and mother Sheila on the wonderful occasion of the birth of your son Max!

Here is a link to our new CCC BLOG, the weblog of the Concerned Citizens' Coalition:

http://gregoryhartnell.wordpress.com/

- Gregory Hartnell, President
Concerned Citizens' Coalition

CCC

#17 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 11:32 AM

Please don't post personal information about other people on the public forums. The decision as to what personal info to share is up to each poster. Not everyone on the internet is safe or trustworthy.

#18 Lana Popham

Lana Popham
  • 15 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 05:48 PM

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

September 8, 2009

LANA POPHAM TO SEEK SAANICH SOUTH

NEW DEMOCRAT NOMINATION

Saanich resident Lana Popham announced today that she is seeking the nomination for the BC New Democratic Party in Saanich South. David Cubberley, the current MLA, announced this summer that he will not seek re-election.

Popham is well known in the community as an organic vineyard owner, environmental activist and small business person. She serves on Saanich’s Planning, Transportation and Economic Development Committee, the Peninsula Agricultural Commission, the Investment Agriculture Foundation , and the Island Organic Producers Association.

Recently she successfully launched a campaign - Think Outside The Bag - to reduce the use of throwaway plastic grocery bags. This spring Popham received a CFAX Community leader award for her environmental advocacy.

Popham is involved in many other issues including protection of agricultural land, urban and rural food security, sustainable transportation and affordable housing.

“The Campbell government is out of touch with the needs of our communities. How can we arrive at sustainable solutions for our province if we have no say in the discussion?” said Popham. "Saanich has had an effective voice in the legislature since 2005. I think I have the knowledge and drive to build on that record in Spring 2009.”

Popham counts Cubberley as a mentor and supporter. “I'm excited someone of Lana's caliber wants to enter provincial politics and will work hard to get her elected,” said Cubberley. "Her activism shows how much she values the quality of life in Saanich and demonstrates how our region can grow more sustainability."

Lana, 39 years old, is married to Jon, an Oak Bay firefighter and they have a 10-year-old son, Kye. The provincial election is on May 12, 2009. No date has been set yet for the Saanich South nomination meeting.

For more info, please contact Lana at 250 507 4222.

#19 Lana Popham

Lana Popham
  • 15 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 05:52 PM

I announced today that I will not be running in the Fall 08 Saanich Municipal election. I am seeking the nomination for the BC NDP seat in Saanich South for the spring 09 election.
Lana

#20 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 07:19 PM

Too bad the most important level of government are the munis not the province or the feds.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users