Websites for Candidates

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#21 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 07:22 PM

Good Luck Lana!
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.
Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900), The Picture of Dorian Gray, 1891

#22 Joseph

Joseph
  • 80 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 01:27 PM

Just wanted to put my own website up here.

http://www.futureisnow.ca/

Hopefully will be on a proper server soon :(

#23 Barra

Barra
  • 592 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 08:38 PM

'Public money that is directed to political parties and candidates for election campaigning should be audited to ensure information is accessible to all.'

Sighh....if only it were true.
There is no public money available to candidates at the municipal level, nor (I don't think) at any level. Candidates either have to raise money or use their own.

As soon as I finalize my website I'll put the link up.
Pieta VanDyke

#24 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,507 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 12:50 PM

I've moved Ms. VanDyke's post into it's own thread here.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#25 nwoods

nwoods
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 02:57 PM

Susan Woods

Site is up and running. May need to delete your cookies or hit refresh if you have previously viewed it. :)

#26 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 05 October 2008 - 01:12 PM

I am running for Oak Bay council under the Green Party banner:
http://www.coreyburger.ca

#27 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 05 October 2008 - 02:42 PM

Right on - another VV'er joins the fray!
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.

#28 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 16 October 2008 - 07:10 AM

Here is the website link for the Greater Victoria Chamber of Commerce site about the local elections. They are offering space online for all the candidates.

#29 Sue Woods

Sue Woods
  • 621 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 10:21 PM

just passing on a few more web sites for candidates (that I got tonight at all candidates meeting)

Richard Park, UVIC student
www.richardpark.ca

Barry Hobbis, Former RCMP, Manager of the Harbour Ferries
www.electbarryhobbis.org

#30 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 10:59 PM

Thanks Susan, I will update the stickies!

#31 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 28 October 2008 - 11:23 AM

Hello there all

I think I now have links for all the candidates in the our core municipalities that have some sort of web based presence for the campaign.

Click on the link below to get my blog on this and scroll down the left had side.

In Saanich all the candidates have a website, in Victoria there are nine that I have not found anything for.

#32 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 03:16 PM

Bernard you are amazing.

We will get those links up. Thank you.

#33 terryforcouncil

terryforcouncil
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 08:07 PM

Hi everyone I'm Terry Siklenka and I''m running for Central Saanich Council
here is my web site address I hope you find it useful.

TerryForCouncil.ca

#34 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 30 October 2008 - 11:42 AM

Facebook is a tool that many of the younger candidates are using. Here is my attempt to find all of the facebook groups

#35 mat

mat
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 12:04 PM

Facebook is a tool that many of the younger candidates are using. Here is my attempt to find all of the facebook groups

Bernard - really interesting, well done.

#36 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 30 October 2008 - 12:10 PM

I am trying to find ways for the public to learn more about the local elections and be able to make an informed decision.

People can help my getting more people to see the work I have done, if people know more about the election, they will come out and vote.

Now, the school boards, there I even I have no real idea about anything.........

#37 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 05:45 PM

It is interesting that two of my opponents, Tara Ney and Chris Smith, both have websites but if you google either of their names you get OB news, my website and Michelle Kirby's. I suspect this is because both Michelle and I have run blogs/etc. prior tot he election and we are thus feeding off our own google juice.

#38 mat

mat
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 06:05 PM

It is interesting that two of my opponents, Tara Ney and Chris Smith, both have websites but if you google either of their names you get OB news, my website and Michelle Kirby's. I suspect this is because both Michelle and I have run blogs/etc. prior tot he election and we are thus feeding off our own google juice.

There are allot of reasons - how Google ranks, or even indexes a website at all, is the realm of SEO (search engine optimization) and, looking at most candidate websites, there are fundamental problems with all of them. To be expected as most are self-published, and good, basic, SEO often takes a professional designer, with years of experience.

Just a note - if a website has been submitted to Google, and meets their guidelines for high category indexing, it can still take a few weeks for it to appear under keyword searches.

#39 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 08:01 PM

Just a note - if a website has been submitted to Google, and meets their guidelines for high category indexing, it can still take a few weeks for it to appear under keyword searches.

Not if it's a blog. They are indexed almost instantly.
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#40 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 08:10 PM

I was trying to find websites for some candidates, inlcuding Jane Lunt but no dice. I saw one of Jane's pamphlets and I was amused to see it was a reprint of one from 20 years ago. I mean, how hard is it to get your nephew to whip together a free blogspot page? Three minutes? Jane's in for a surprise when she wakes up November 16 to find she came in seventeenth place.

Off topic but it's urgent because this site comes down tomorrow. It's Google's official tenth anniversary site with a 2001 search engine. It's weird to enter World Trade Center, for example, and see nothing about 9/11. And only a few references to some guy named Barack Obama.

http://www.google.com/search2001.html
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users