Photo

Websites for Candidates

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#41 mat

mat
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 08:14 PM

Not if it's a blog. They are indexed almost instantly.

True - to an extent, especially if it is a blogspot.com, or other affiliated service, which Google either owns, or has advertising agreements.

Have a look at Google vs Yahoo on SE call {victoria "Municipal Elections"}

As election news is so predominant (US not local, but the search algorithms apply) - any keywords associated with election news, and any software, or Bboard, that has active discussions on the topic (with appropriate keywords), will play higher - hence VV doing better than most on those search terms.

#42 mat

mat
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 08:19 PM

I was trying to find websites for some candidates, inlcuding Jane Lunt but no dice. I saw one of Jane's pamphlets and I was amused to see it was a reprint of one from 20 years ago. I mean, how hard is it to get your nephew to whip together a free blogspot page? Three minutes? Jane's in for a surprise when she wakes up November 16 to find she came in seventeenth place.

Off topic but it's urgent because this site comes down tomorrow. It's Google's official tenth anniversary site with a 2001 search engine. It's weird to enter World Trade Center, for example, and see nothing about 9/11. And only a few references to some guy named Barack Obama.

http://www.google.com/search2001.html

Holden West - you can always use The Wayback Machine: I cringe at the designs we did back in 1998 - but it is a neat tool.

#43 Riser

Riser
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 09:22 PM

i've been snooping around, looking for local candidates' websites and came across this one... http://cairinegreen.blogspot.com/

The candidate is running in North Saanich.

#44 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 01:08 AM

You don't need to submit anything to Google. Page Rank is partly determined by linking to pages, hence why my website doesn't like to any other candidates. Being an unknown but having a fairly large web presence is fairly helpful, I suspect. Except of course, I am running OB, where the average age is "older than computers". Sigh...

#45 Sue Woods

Sue Woods
  • 621 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 01:16 AM

Except of course, I am running OB, where the average age is "older than computers". Sigh...

Actually I've heard that the fastest growing group of computer uses are seniors 70+.
My father in law is 86 and uses email and the net every day.
So you may be surprised.

Good luck, Sue

#46 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 12:44 AM

True, true. My grandmother has been very much into computers since my grandfather died and most of her friends are on it.

#47 Chris J

Chris J
  • 215 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 08:20 PM

Please take a look at what Rose's involvement is civic issues has meant to so many people in this town.
Here is here websites:
http://www.homelessn...g/en/node/13590
http://voterose.ca/
http://www.facebook....53426924&ref=mf

#48 mat

mat
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 08:51 PM

Chris J - thanks for posting the links. Rose is a very involved person, and not just single issue over homelessness - my feeling is she would make an excellent member of council with her ability to listen, engage and mediate, and determine a path to a consensus on all kinds of issues.

Your post highlights points expressed on other threads regarding web utility in the 2008 municipal elections. Homeless Nation is an excellent website - well designed and very well marketed, certainly Rose knows the power of citizen media (she had her video camera always at hand at the Beacon Hill homeless camp). Her own website (voterose.ca) has something I have advocated to other candidates - simple google maps to all candidates meetings - so major kudos to her.

While I do agree that seniors have the largest rise in internet usage - it is still a relatively small percentage of the total age group, there is allot of catch up to meet the 18-29 yr demographic. The CRD is not the 'Obama Nation' unfortunately - the Dem. campaign will be written into history books on using the internet to not only get out the vote, but raise money.

Still, any serious candidate who does not have a decent website needs his/her head examining - the argument that no one will find me or use it to any purpose is so stupid it defies reality. Simply put - if a newspaper, well say the TC, has one reporter (like right now) compiling a municipal election profile from their office what is the 1st tool used?

So to the candidates like Chris Zegger-Murphy for Esquimalt Council (and he would be a very reasonable candidate), who has no website, and his facebook has no mention of the campaign - sorry to say, you missed out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users