Photo

Victoria Construction Rumour Thread + Info on Projects With No Dedicated Thread

• Please log in to reply
3804 replies to this topic

#981 grantpalin

grantpalin
  • 804 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 10:11 PM

^- Ya, looking at it on Google Maps the building takes about 1/4 of the lot. If the rumor is true then there could be an opportunity to redevelop the whole eastern half of that block.

• Kapten Kapsell and Nparker like this

#982 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 07:42 AM

Didn't the restaurant recently undergo a renovation?  I thought I had read about it online. However, a spike in the land value would provide economic justification to redevelop the site anyway.

A free-standing McDonald's in Vancouver's Kitsilano area was redeveloped into a 5-storey condo development called The Mac in the mid-2000s.  McDonald's did move back into the development as a ground-floor tenant, though I have to wonder if the original marketing materials assigned names to the floor plans like:

• The "Big Mac" for the larger units
  • The "Grimace" for units with purple interior paint
  • The "McMuffin" for units with a breakfast nook

:banana:

Edited by Kapten Kapsell, 16 June 2017 - 07:43 AM.

• Mike K., zoomer and Nparker like this

#983 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,726 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 08:08 AM

Didn't the restaurant recently undergo a renovation?  I thought I had read about it online.

There was a proposal put forward to pretty much re-build the Pandora McDonald's but it was rejected by Council.

VicHockeyFan on 18 July 2016 - 08:00 AM 

The Pandora redesign was unanimously rejected by Victoria City council.

I imagine that it won't be going ahead now.

• Kapten Kapsell likes this

#984 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 08:12 AM

Thanks for clarifying that NParker. 

• Nparker likes this

#985 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 08:24 AM

A more urban format for the McDonald's would be great. Not that I care about McDonald's but they're active establishments and people come and go all day and night, which is good.

• Nparker likes this

#986 LJ

LJ
  • 12,736 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 07:54 PM

I noticed that the Econo Lodge at Craigflower/Tillicum is shut down and there are rezoning placards up. Do we know what is planned for there?

Pretty nice chunk of land that is.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#987 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 16 June 2017 - 08:44 PM

^ That would be View Royal, right? They don't seem to have an updated list of active applications.

#988 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 16 June 2017 - 08:44 PM

^ That would be View Royal, right? They don't seem to have an updated list of active applications.

#989 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 08:47 PM

I noticed that the Econo Lodge at Craigflower/Tillicum is shut down and there are rezoning placards up. Do we know what is planned for there?

Pretty nice chunk of land that is.

Conversion to rental suites.

HERE:  http://vibrantvictor...ntals-proposed/

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 16 June 2017 - 08:55 PM.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#990 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 08:59 AM

Fencing is up around the former Canadian Tire on Douglas; are there redevelopment plans for this site?

#991 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 09:04 AM

Fencing is up around the former Canadian Tire on Douglas; are there redevelopment plans for this site?

Oh man that's a dream redevelopment site to really kickstart the transformation of the Douglas / Blanshard corridor.

#992 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,726 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 09:24 AM

Perhaps we'll soon hear an announcement that the Province has bought the property to add it to the city's emerging "Fentanyl District North" -  or for the tourists, "FeDiNo"

fedino.JPG

(not to be confused with CeFeDi - the Central Fentanyl District - in the 800-900 blocks of Johnson-Pandora)

#993 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,726 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 09:32 AM

Perhaps we'll soon hear an announcement that the Province has bought the property to add it to the city's emerging "Fentanyl District North"...

Since it's been decided the best way to deal with the problem is by warehousing addicts and offering no treatment, what better place than an actual warehouse?

#994 johnk

johnk
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 11:38 AM

Didn't the restaurant recently undergo a renovation?  I thought I had read about it online. However, a spike in the land value would provide economic justification to redevelop the site anyway.

A free-standing McDonald's in Vancouver's Kitsilano area was redeveloped into a 5-storey condo development called The Mac in the mid-2000s.  McDonald's did move back into the development as a ground-floor tenant, though I have to wonder if the original
marketing materials assigned names to the floor plans like:

• The "Big Mac" for the larger units
  • The "Grimace" for units with purple interior paint
  • The "McMuffin" for units with a breakfast nook
:banana:

● The "Turnover" for Airbnb units?
  • Nparker likes this

#995 LJ

LJ
  • 12,736 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 06:52 PM

Conversion to rental suites.

HERE:  http://vibrantvictor...ntals-proposed/

Ah, OK. I would have expected a much larger project than just a re-purposing.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#996 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 20 June 2017 - 02:36 PM

Someone commenting on Facebook mentioned that First Met Church (Quadra and Balmoral) is looking to replace their fellowship hall with social housing. Anyone know more about this?

#997 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 20 June 2017 - 02:42 PM

Haven't they had a plan in the works for a long while? Am I thinking of something else?

This article from 2014:

http://www.timescolo...e-poor-1.846707

Edited by aastra, 20 June 2017 - 02:51 PM.

• Jackerbie likes this

#998 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 20 June 2017 - 02:45 PM

The Redevelopment Task Group (RTG) had reported that it expected to receive a formal pro-posal from the Intercultural Association (ICA) by the end of October for redevelopment of the Fellowship Hall. This proposal was to be based on a feasibility study conducted by ICA’s engi-neering and architectural consultants and shared with the RTG earlier this year. ICA informed the RTG in mid-November that on the advice of its space-planning consultants it would not pre-sent a proposal at this time. ICA reported that in the consultants’ opinion ICA’s costs in com-pleting renovations to the property would not be warranted in a leased space arrangement. ICA has indicated it may be interested in exploring other options for redevelopment of the Fellow-ship Hall.The RTG has decided that with no ICA proposal forthcoming it will consult the BC Conference Property Resource Team and begin preparations to issue a Request for Expressions of Interest (RFEOI) to organizations and developers in our community who might be interested in buying or developing the Fellowship Hall site. ICA has been informed it would be welcome to respond to this expression of interest once it is issued. Council and the congregation will be consulted during development of the RFEOI and before it is issued.Members of the RTG in 2016: Ross Breckon, Paul Jenkins, (Co-chairs) Linden Holmen, David Bray, Kathy Cook, Steve Gray, Larry McGill, Mike McCauley (Presbytery Representative). Interior Group: Larry McGill, Marion Denton, Hally Hofmeyr, Don Bourdon

http://firstmet.chur...b69dd373cf42cce

• Jackerbie likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#999 johnk

johnk
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 20 June 2017 - 02:51 PM

Victoria Hyundai may be eyeing that site.

#1000 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,726 posts

Posted 20 June 2017 - 02:51 PM

Someone commenting on Facebook mentioned that First Met Church (Quadra and Balmoral) is looking to replace their fellowship hall with social housing...

Capture.JPG

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users