Victoria Construction Rumour Thread + Info on Projects With No Dedicated Thread

• Please log in to reply
3804 replies to this topic

#2001 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 02 July 2019 - 10:53 AM

Is that all contained within that single house-like building?

Edit: Ah, I see. It's three of those buildings one behind the other.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2002 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 02 July 2019 - 10:55 AM

Is that all contained within that single house-like building?

The 24 units are spread across 3 house-like buildings.  If you've been by the lot it really stands out for its depth; the existing structure has a massive setback from Richardson.  

More details are up on dev tracker now...  

#2003 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 02 July 2019 - 10:56 AM

...the 24 units would be in 3 low-rice buildings and some surface parking would be provided...

Has the CoV council dictated that 20% of new residences must be built from rice?

https://en.wikipedia...cky_rice_mortar

#2004 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 02 July 2019 - 11:08 AM

Has the CoV council dictated that 20% of new residences must be built from rice?

https://en.wikipedia...cky_rice_mortar

Yes- the city wants to go against the grain...

Edited by Kapten Kapsell, 02 July 2019 - 11:08 AM.

• Mike K. and Nparker like this

#2005 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 02 July 2019 - 03:33 PM

Also of note: the buyers are required to maintain ownership for a minimum of three years. Any sale prior to that will result in buyers being required to hand over 10% of the difference between the sales and purchase price to the City of Victoria’s affordable housing fund (I suppose the city would be a lien holder to enforce this?).

The unit mix will be 18 1-bedroom and 6 2-bedroom units. All will have outside front doors and there will be no interior hallways (somewhat like the Schaefer on Southgate development completed in 2018).

#2006 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 02 July 2019 - 07:19 PM

1224 Richardson. 

I walked by there last year and took a pic of that house and lot because I was astounded to see so much undeveloped space in that neighbourhood.

#2007 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 04 July 2019 - 08:14 AM

The Greater Victoria Housing Society has proposed its first development in the City of Victoria.  They have proposed a replacement of the existing apartment building at 2558 Quadra with a new 5-storey structure encompassing both affordable rental units and street-level retail  This would extend Quadra Village's retail district slightly south on the west of the street.

#2008 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 04 July 2019 - 08:16 AM

The Greater Victoria Housing Society has proposed its first development in the City of Victoria.  They have proposed a replacement of the existing apartment building at 2558 Quadra with a new 5-storey structure encompassing both affordable rental units and street-level retail ...

Didn't a rendering for this project appear on VV a while back?

#2009 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 04 July 2019 - 08:21 AM

post-96-0-42864100-1553279294.jpg

Above rendering was from preliminary work, they've got the application in with the City now. I haven't taken a look to see what (if anything) has changed.

#2010 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 04 July 2019 - 08:26 AM

I'm not seeing any updates on the CoV Development Tracker; https://tender.victo...Number=REZ00707

#2011 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 04 July 2019 - 09:04 AM

https://www.placespe...2558-quadra-st/

Forest Heights is a 3-storey 19-unit affordable rental building owned and operated by the Greater Victoria Housing Society (GVHS). The building has been in operation well past its effective life and is not barrier free and accessible. The site is under utilized and a recent feasibility study conducted by a local architect indicates that the property can support a 6 storey building more than twice its size. We have preliminary plans to construct a mixed-use 5-storey 40-unit affordable rental building in its place.

Unit mix will vary throughout the building and will include 20 studios, 16 - 1 bedroom and 4 - 2 bedroom units. A laundry room, as well as a common room with a small kitchen and bathroom will be located on the main floor for tenants’ use. An outdoor seating terrace and gardens will be provided for tenants. The building is planned so that 10% of the units will be built to be accessible to persons in a wheelchair. This will provide fully accessible units with roll-in showers and under-counter access for kitchen/bathroom cabinets. The entire building and all access routes will be designed using universal accessibility design standards.

GVHS will provide approximately 22 underground parking stalls along with 8 surface visitor stalls exceeding the municipal requirements. Secure underground and surface bicycle parking will also be made available. The property is located adjacent to a major traffic corridor with a bus stop just feet from the property. All tenants will have access to carshare memberships provided by the Society at no additional cost.

"In operation well past its effective life". So all buildings of this era need to be demolished immediately? I don't see the urgency here. Surely there are better lots to build on.

#2012 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 04 July 2019 - 09:15 AM

Are 30 parking spaces really necessary for housing of this type?

#2013 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 04 July 2019 - 02:42 PM

Secure underground and surface bicycle parking will also be made available.

Cue Mr. Montoya please.

#2014 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 04 July 2019 - 03:01 PM

https://www.placespe...2558-quadra-st/

"In operation well past its effective life". So all buildings of this era need to be demolished immediately? I don't see the urgency here. Surely there are better lots to build on.

I really don't get it either. My 1978 building (two separate buildings) have had their hallways updated, three elevators fully replaced, parking lot resealed (above the underground parkade area) one roof fully replaced and the second one in process. Next up is replacement of all the balconies. Not certain old means end of life.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#2015 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 04 July 2019 - 03:11 PM

I understand there are accessibility issues but there are plenty of able-bodied people needing cheap accommodation. If this were a vacant lot or a house like there was next door to this proposal I'd be fine with it. 

But the solution to the lack of affordable housing is not demolishing affordable housing.

#2016 Mattjvd

Mattjvd
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 04 July 2019 - 03:13 PM

What is 'effective life' for a residential building? (not a rhetorical question, asking our members with construction knowledge)

With decent maintenance 100 years for concrete, 60 for wood frame? (just my guess)

#2017 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 04 July 2019 - 03:18 PM

... 60 for wood frame? (just my guess)

There are certainly a great number of wood frame SFH's* more than 60 years old in the region. With proper maintenance they should be around a while longer I should think.

* built as single family homes; they might serve as multi-residential properties today

• Mattjvd likes this

#2018 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 04 July 2019 - 03:19 PM

My observation is that when a commercial building hits 50 years something major needs to be done. Wiring, plumbing, roof, bad energy usage etc.

Well-maintained buildings can last indefinitely but ones that were ridden hard and put away wet are ready for the wrecker after half a century.

• Mattjvd likes this

#2019 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 04 July 2019 - 03:22 PM

My observation is that when a commercial building hits 50 years something major needs to be done...

Funny, from personal experience the same can be said for many humans of similar vintage.  ;)

#2020 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 04 July 2019 - 03:23 PM

Some would argue that buildings without sprinkler systems are unsafe regardless of their age.

In two months we saw two deaths in two separate fires within buildings from the 60-70s era. Could those lives have been saved with modern fire safety systems? Probably. Is it feasible to run sprinklers throughout these buildings? Not always.

You can buff an 80s sedan to where it shines like a gold tooth and looks pretty darned good, but it’s still missing air bags, ABS, traction control, a backup camera, proximity sensors and collision avoidance. Nice car, though.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users