Photo

Victoria Construction Rumour Thread + Info on Projects With No Dedicated Thread

• Please log in to reply
3804 replies to this topic

#2081 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,726 posts

Posted 30 July 2019 - 01:47 PM

What makes you think they like what is already there?

Even if the locals have never paid any attention to the existing building, its continued existence will become critical to the survival of the neighbourhood, if not the entire human species. Wait and see.

• DavidSchell likes this

#2082 DavidSchell

DavidSchell
  • 687 posts

Posted 30 July 2019 - 05:46 PM

Even if the locals have never paid any attention to the existing building, its continued existence will become critical to the survival of the neighbourhood, if not the entire human species. Wait and see.

lol, you called it!

#2083 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 01 August 2019 - 04:40 PM

From Burnside Gorge Community Association:

On the agenda:
PC Urban is proposing a 5 storey residential rental building at 43-55 Gorge Road East, consisting of 170 units. The building is made up of 9 studio, 102 one bedroom, 54 two bedroom, and 5 three bedroom rental units. There is a proposed retail space and plaza on the ground floor at the corner of Gorge Road and Irma Street possibly with a coffee shop. The project includes un- derground parking and bike storage and a proposed common area roof top deck space.

The community meeting is Monday August 12. I imagine this building will have a large footprint in order to get over 150 units into a 5 storey structure (with first floor retail).
  • Brantastic likes this

#2084 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 02 August 2019 - 09:01 AM

I’ve had technical trouble downloading the plans, butDev Tracker is showing a new rezoning application for 1114 Rockland. It’s planned as a new 5 storey rental building, and it would replace the burned-out heritage building currently on site (per the application letter).

Edited by Kapten Kapsell, 02 August 2019 - 09:15 AM.

#2085 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,726 posts

Posted 02 August 2019 - 09:12 AM

From Development Tracker

Rockland.PNG

Currently this

Rockland now.PNG

• Mike K. and newbie_01 like this

#2086 threePs

threePs
  • 66 posts

Posted 02 August 2019 - 09:42 AM

From Burnside Gorge Community Association:

On the agenda:
PC Urban is proposing a 5 storey residential rental building at 43-55 Gorge Road East, consisting of 170 units. The building is made up of 9 studio, 102 one bedroom, 54 two bedroom, and 5 three bedroom rental units. There is a proposed retail space and plaza on the ground floor at the corner of Gorge Road and Irma Street possibly with a coffee shop. The project includes un- derground parking and bike storage and a proposed common area roof top deck space.

The community meeting is Monday August 12. I imagine this building will have a large footprint in order to get over 150 units into a 5 storey structure (with first floor retail).

This seems like an almost impossible feat. The building on the next corner is 4-storeys with 68 units, how are they going to fit 170 units on 3 single family lot at only 5 storeys?

#2087 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 02:32 PM

This seems like an almost impossible feat. The building on the next corner is 4-storeys with 68 units, how are they going to fit 170 units on 3 single family lot at only 5 storeys?

I found the original sales brochure for the site: 

https://www.colliers...82098a2d259fdae

22,560 square ft with a 2:5:1 and 5 storeys of allowed height seems reasonable, though I am not expert.

PS:  were any VV'ers at the CALUC on Monday?

#2088 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 14 August 2019 - 02:47 PM

Almost certainly a typo. PC Urban's rental project in Kelowna is 210,000 SF and contains 158 units. There's a commercial component at grade, and the residential portion is 5 storeys. That particular project is a BC Housing partnership.

Edited by Jackerbie, 14 August 2019 - 02:51 PM.

#2089 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 14 August 2019 - 02:51 PM

I found the original sales brochure for the site: 

https://www.colliers...82098a2d259fdae

22,560 square ft with a 2:5:1 and 5 storeys of allowed height seems reasonable, though I am not expert.

PS:  were any VV'ers at the CALUC on Monday?

Assuming that they build a 5 storey box, each storey would be 0.5 FSR. Ground storey is "village commercial," so that leaves up to 2.0 FSR for residential uses, or 45,120 SF. There is no way they're building 170 units at an average size of 265 SF

#2090 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 16 August 2019 - 10:35 AM

Assuming that they build a 5 storey box, each storey would be 0.5 FSR. Ground storey is "village commercial," so that leaves up to 2.0 FSR for residential uses, or 45,120 SF. There is no way they're building 170 units at an average size of 265 SF

Well, it turns out that they are actually wanting to build 163 units here, of which 62 will have two bedrooms.  FSR is 2.39.  Apparently there was strong opposition from the neighbourhood due to massing, traffic concerns, etc.  Parking was also a concern as there are just 125 (rather than 159 required) parking stalls.  Someone attending the CALUC asked where there weren't more larger units, and the response was that this would impact affordability.  

I definitely recommend reading the CALUC meeting summary here:  http://www.burnsideg...l - 2019.08.pdf

#2091 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,527 posts

Posted 16 August 2019 - 10:48 AM

Do we have any visuals of this proposal, by chance?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2092 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 16 August 2019 - 12:23 PM

Do we have any visuals of this proposal, by chance?

I'd be curious to see renderings!

It looks like the architect is Wensley Architecture (per the link to the CALUC letter shared above).  It doesn't look like PC Urban (the developer) has shared renderings on their website yet...

I was surprised to see such staunch opposition as Burnside Gorge residents typically support various development proposals in their neighbourhood (with the exception of some social housing developments)...

Edited by Kapten Kapsell, 16 August 2019 - 12:26 PM.

• Mike K. likes this

#2093 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 16 August 2019 - 12:28 PM

Open the courtyard to the public...

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#2094 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,527 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 07:16 AM

The discussion on 780 Blanshard Street has been moved to: https://vibrantvicto...d-use-proposed/

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2095 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 19 August 2019 - 07:32 AM

I'd be curious to see renderings!

It looks like the architect is Wensley Architecture (per the link to the CALUC letter shared above).  It doesn't look like PC Urban (the developer) has shared renderings on their website yet...

I was surprised to see such staunch opposition as Burnside Gorge residents typically support various development proposals in their neighbourhood (with the exception of some social housing developments)...

It's over the OCP density and height, and doesn't fit with the "Village Commercial" land use designation. It'll be an uphill battle against the CALUC, staff, and Council for sure.

#2096 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 20 August 2019 - 11:37 AM

These four lots have been combined to a form a single development proposal at this week's Fairfield CALUC:

137/139 Robertson Street – 1848/1850 Hollywood Crescent

Does anyone know what's planned here (townhouses? condos/apartments)?  Is this an Aryze development?  It's certainly located at a beautiful corner near Gonzales Bay.

#2097 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,726 posts

Posted 20 August 2019 - 11:47 AM

...Does anyone know what's planned here...It's certainly located at a beautiful corner near Gonzales Bay.

I believe the plan is to demolish the existing structures and build a continuous, 20-meter-high sea wall along the waterfront.  ;)

#2098 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 20 August 2019 - 12:08 PM

These four lots have been combined to a form a single development proposal at this week's Fairfield CALUC:

137/139 Robertson Street – 1848/1850 Hollywood Crescent

Does anyone know what's planned here (townhouses? condos/apartments)?  Is this an Aryze development?  It's certainly located at a beautiful corner near Gonzales Bay.

No idea, but there was a proposal in 2017 it looks like, which is uploaded here: https://fairfieldcom...b2217-11x17.pdf

#2099 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 20 August 2019 - 05:01 PM

Here’s an article from Fernwood’s neighbourhood association re: the former co housing site at North Park and Chambers. A redesign was submitted in May : https://fernwoodnrg....hambers-street/
  • Mike K. likes this

#2100 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 20 August 2019 - 06:13 PM

Fernwood would be much better if it were full of standard-issue brown and grey modern box houses. Seriously, in 50 years is this going to end up being the dominant architectural style in Victoria's neighbourhoods?

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users