vancouver island's tallest wood-frame building at 2840 peatt in langford

tall-wood-building-696x392.jpeg

tall-wood-building.png
https://www.victoria...oto-renderings/

#2142 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,653 posts

Posted 24 October 2019 - 12:55 PM

The shorter building is kind of cool looking; the taller building not so much.

#2143 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 28 October 2019 - 07:37 AM

Burnside Gorge has come out fully in support of the new plan to build 49 seniors' units and 9 family units of affordable family housing in a new 4-storey building at 11 Chown Place.  The proposal envisions this development on land owned by the Gorge View Society.

See:  http://www.burnsideg...l - 2019.10.pdf

Here are a few renderings:

chownplace.jpg

Edited by Kapten Kapsell, 28 October 2019 - 07:42 AM.

#2144 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,653 posts

Posted 28 October 2019 - 08:06 AM

It appears to have some lovely surface parking. Was this design found in a cabinet that was last opened in 1971?

#2145 IPH

IPH
  • 274 posts

Posted 28 October 2019 - 08:28 AM

It appears to have some lovely surface parking. Was this design found in a cabinet that was last opened in 1971?

to be fare, although at surface the parking is half under the building. This is the same concept that Aryze is proposing for their proposals on Haywood as well as McClure, and the developer at 1114 Rockland. underground parking is extremely expensive and unlike the above noted 3 projects, this one is designed to be an affordable housing project which means underground parking is not viable.
  • threePs likes this

#2146 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,653 posts

Posted 28 October 2019 - 09:15 AM

I guess I'd rather see no parking than surface parking. It just seems so backwards.

#2147 IPH

IPH
  • 274 posts

Posted 28 October 2019 - 01:28 PM

I'm all for encouraging alternatives to cars by providing public transit, bike storage etc. but we have not eliminated the car quite yet.  Backwards would be knowing that a building needs something but not allowing it because someone that doesn't live there doesn't like it.  I know the mayor has said we are building for the future when it comes to cars but the facts are that people will be living there in the current reality and that reality includes cars.  Until a viable alternative to cars is provided for "all" residents, eliminating parking would just increase the on street parking pressure for the rest of the neighbourhood, who are supportive of the development but may not be so accommodating if there is no parking.   The nice thing about surface parking is that it can be converted to green space or if large enough additional buildings with more housing if and when we actually eliminate the car.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#2148 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,653 posts

Posted 28 October 2019 - 02:06 PM

...The nice thing about surface parking is that it can be converted to green space or if large enough additional buildings with more housing...

Is there an instance where this has happened with the large surface parking lots surrounding apartments built in the 1960s?

#2149 IPH

IPH
  • 274 posts

Posted 28 October 2019 - 02:07 PM

not yet because they are still being used to park cars, but as soon as we find an alternative???

#2150 IPH

IPH
  • 274 posts

Posted 28 October 2019 - 02:10 PM

I know a few developers that have built rental buildings in the last few years and they are sweating bullets about what they are going to do with the underground parking once the Mayor's prediction comes true.  Don't think anyone will want to rent an underground apartment, but maybe they can grow mushrooms!

#2151 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 28 October 2019 - 02:39 PM

As average unit sizes continue to go down and the average storage locker unit shrinks from the size of a bathroom to the size of a refrigerator, the idea that a parking stall would be useless is laughable. Apartment and condo dwellers dream of a storage locker big enough for a couple of bikes along with their other storage items. 

Cars will still be around but they might not be permanently stored at your home. They may autonomously return to a central "hive" somewhere.

#2152 IPH

IPH
  • 274 posts

Posted 28 October 2019 - 03:37 PM

The minimum dimension for an underground parking stall is 2.6m x 5.1 M.  the most efficient design is to have a center driving isle with apposing parking stalls and the minimum driving isle width is 7 m.  As such each parking stall and half the driving isle behind it measures 2.6m X 8.6m or approx. 240 sqft.  That is approaching the size of many new apartment units so a bit of over kill for storage especially since most new purpose built apartment's have a storage locker even though they are small. 

#2153 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 28 October 2019 - 03:44 PM

You just repeated my post adding math. I guarantee you anyone with a 250 sq. ft. apartment would use every inch of a 240 sq. ft. storage locker.

#2154 LJ

LJ
  • 12,719 posts

Posted 28 October 2019 - 07:35 PM

^And if they don't they can rent them out as mini storage units.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#2155 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,794 posts

Posted 29 October 2019 - 04:44 AM

You just repeated my post adding math. I guarantee you anyone with a 250 sq. ft. apartment would use every inch of a 240 sq. ft. storage locker.

i believe this to be true.  they'd store useless stuff they never ever use but they'd use all the space.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 29 October 2019 - 04:45 AM.

#2156 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 29 October 2019 - 08:32 AM

No details are online yet, but a development permit application has been filed for the Pluto's site.

Recall that Sakura Developments owns this property and Pluto's will vacate the space in the spring...

• Nparker likes this

#2157 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 29 October 2019 - 08:47 AM

No details are online yet, but a development permit application has been filed for the Pluto's site.

Recall that Sakura Developments owns this property and Pluto's will vacate the space in the spring...

This has been updated to state that the proposal is going to be a 15-storey mixed-use residential building.   Still no rendering...

• Nparker likes this

#2158 IPH

IPH
  • 274 posts

Posted 29 October 2019 - 09:06 AM

I have not found this to be the case. All of my units have 35-50sqft storage lockers and less than 10% are well used. more than half are virtually empty. The lockers come with the unit and I don't charge extra for it as I want people to use them for bikes, skis etc rather than drag dirt into the units and damage walls.

underground parking can be rented for about $200/month which at least provides a return on the $40-50K it costs to provide it. but spending that money on an extra 240 sqft of living space that can be rented for about $3/sqft would be a far better investment than storage or parking.

Edited by IPH, 29 October 2019 - 09:07 AM.

#2159 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 29 October 2019 - 09:36 AM

This has been updated to state that the proposal is going to be a 15-storey mixed-use residential building.   Still no rendering...

OK.  More details are up:

15 storeys 

129 units (strata ownership)-  Primarily 1 and 2 bedroom units

41 parking stalls (none are required)

Architect is NSDA Architects

• Jackerbie likes this

#2160 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 29 October 2019 - 09:37 AM

NSDA Architects for 66 Developments Ltd.

45 m/15 storeys

129 strata units (4 studio, 99 1BR, 26 2BR)

41 vehicle parking spaces, 138 resident bike spaces, 13 visitor bike spaces

The developer is seeking a height variance (from 30 m/10 storeys to 45 m/15 storeys) which allows the building to have a slim tower form. There will also be a "community plaza" at Cook and View in response to comments from the DRA.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users