Victoria Construction Rumour Thread + Info on Projects With No Dedicated Thread

• Please log in to reply
3804 replies to this topic

#2221 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 12 November 2019 - 11:09 AM

^ There's a difference between not installing a bike rack and not including a bike rack in the Development Permit plans. Village Walk has bike parking in the plans approved by the City and registered on Title.

#2222 Mixed365

Mixed365
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 12 November 2019 - 01:48 PM

Revised plans are up on dev tracker for the proposed condo development at 1114 Rockland.

Some pics:

1114 one.png

1114 two.png

This looks great. 

Anyone know who is behind this?

• Kapten Kapsell likes this

“To understand cities, we have to deal outright with combinations or mixtures of uses, not separate uses, as the essential phenomena.”
- Jane Jacobs 

#2223 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 12 November 2019 - 02:17 PM

^ Applicant is Praxis Architects on behalf of Conrad Nyren

• Mixed365 likes this

#2224 IPH

IPH
  • 278 posts

Posted 12 November 2019 - 02:21 PM

No, you simply don't install them in the first place. Look at Dominion Rocket or Village Walk. The City only noticed when they got bombarded by citizen complaints.

Village Walk on OB Avenue basically told the City to screw your variance. In fact, if someone could swing by there today and check if the rack is back at the entrance that would be great.

HI Rob,

I drove by this morning and there are no bike racks on Foul Bay or Oak Bay but there are 3 racks on Amphion street.  However, these racks are single pole with hoops designed to accommodate 2 bikes per rack but look pretty tight to the curb so you may only be able to get one bike on the sidewalk side and no bike on the road side.  That would not meet the City's current Schedule C bylaw that requires visitor bike parking for a minimum of 6 bikes at each building.  

• Rob Randall likes this

#2225 IPH

IPH
  • 278 posts

Posted 12 November 2019 - 02:25 PM

^ Applicant is Praxis Architects on behalf of Conrad Nyren

Gerald Hartwig is Conrad's partner on this project.

#2226 punk cannonballer

punk cannonballer
  • 239 posts

Posted 12 November 2019 - 02:58 PM

I did find it funny that bicycle parking is also included.

Why? You don't think this facility will have employees? Security and maintenance so forth?

#2227 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 12 November 2019 - 03:03 PM

Why? You don't think this facility will have employees? Security and maintenance so forth?

If you look at the drawings there isn't so much as a break room, washroom, etc. This building isn't going to have regular employees. It's a storage facility for their new cars, so likely only to be visited when dropping off or picking up. Maintenance will come and go when needed. You don't need much to operate a facility like this.

I would be shocked if they install any actual bike parking. If anything, they put a rack in one of the parking stalls if an inspector ever comes by.

#2228 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 12 November 2019 - 03:24 PM

HI Rob,

I drove by this morning and there are no bike racks on Foul Bay or Oak Bay but there are 3 racks on Amphion street.  However, these racks are single pole with hoops designed to accommodate 2 bikes per rack but look pretty tight to the curb so you may only be able to get one bike on the sidewalk side and no bike on the road side.  That would not meet the City's current Schedule C bylaw that requires visitor bike parking for a minimum of 6 bikes at each building.  

Ha, see I told you. Even in this case with a newspaper article and a tweet I wrote that Lisa Helps "liked" there is still no action there. 

#2229 Mixed365

Mixed365
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 13 November 2019 - 01:25 PM

Gerald Hartwig is Conrad's partner on this project.

Thanks for that IPH. Not very familiar with Conrad, but Gerald has a long history of building in Victoria that's for sure.

“To understand cities, we have to deal outright with combinations or mixtures of uses, not separate uses, as the essential phenomena.”
- Jane Jacobs 

#2230 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 18 November 2019 - 12:48 PM

There are no details yet, but a development proposal at 3120 Washington St will be discussed at the Burnside Gorge community meeting tonight at 6:30 PM  ...

• Mike K. likes this

#2231 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 19 November 2019 - 10:29 AM

Aryze has bought the lot at 902 Foul Bay formerly owned by Large and Co.  Recall that this lot was the site of a major fire and controversy whereby the principal of Large and Co was accused of arson in regards to the heritage structure fire. 

Their new proposal is going to CALUC in Fairfield this Thursday:

Aryze is proposing an 18 unit mix of 1bed, 2bed and 3bed compact affordable homeownership townhouses with BC Housing. The homes will be clustered into four blocks around pocket greenspaces while retaining as much existing vegetation as possible. A heritage restoration plan will be undertaken to restore the heritage rock wall and iron gate to complement the building architecture.

Perhaps PPPDev or another representative can post renderings ...?   :wave:

• Mike K. likes this

#2232 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 21 November 2019 - 10:16 AM

Alas, another Aryze proposal was at Fairfield CALUC recently and the community feedback wasn't positive.  This is the proposal previously shared in this thread for 931 McClure, a modern 5-storey development about a block south of the Chelsea condominium building. 

The CALUC report can be found here:  https://fairfieldcom...re_7Nov2019.pdf

I'm guessing that NParker *won't* be surprised by any of the feedback ...?   :banana:

• Mike K. likes this

#2233 threePs

threePs
  • 66 posts

Posted 21 November 2019 - 02:05 PM

ADP on Nov 27th will review the following projects:

1. 2558 Quadra - 5-storey 40-unit affordable rental building
  2. 1015 Cook - 5-storey 31-unit rental (beside wet cleaner)
  3. 1224 Richardson - 24 units over 3 buildings

• Mike K. and Kapten Kapsell like this

#2234 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 22 November 2019 - 06:47 AM

Alas, another Aryze proposal was at Fairfield CALUC recently and the community feedback wasn't positive. This is the proposal previously shared in this thread for 931 McClure, a modern 5-storey development about a block south of the Chelsea condominium building.

The CALUC report can be found here: https://fairfieldcom...re_7Nov2019.pdf

I'm guessing that NParker *won't* be surprised by any of the feedback ...? :banana:

Yeah I thought impact on the flourishing of the trees was good.

Also thought the image of new developments driving people out of the neighbourhood was quite funny too. They are really taking the market out of character homes. (Note to self: Must be some cheap character homes in Fairfield to scoop up)
  • Nparker likes this

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#2235 PPPdev

PPPdev
  • 394 posts

Posted 22 November 2019 - 10:42 AM

902 Foul Bay Road imagery  :)

Attached Images

• FB Plan.jpg
  • FB Street.jpg
  • FB elevation.jpg
  • Redfern Elev.jpg
  • Q view.jpg

• Mike K. and threePs like this

#2236 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 22 November 2019 - 01:54 PM

Thanks for responding to my post, PPPDev!  I like these renderings.  How did it go at the community meeting last night? 

#2237 PPPdev

PPPdev
  • 394 posts

Posted 22 November 2019 - 02:26 PM

For Gonzales, it went amazing haha!

Jokes aside, I would say a largely positive response with very real concerns over the condition and usage of Redfern as an informal pedestrian space that has parking challenges. The area as a whole is blessed with a ton of street parking so its a hard one to say, "you might have to park a little further away"... so we are gonna work with a traffic engineer on some solutions and see where we land.

The project details are:

- mix of 1bed, 2bed, and 3bed townhouses

- 18 homes in total

- height of 2.5 storeys

- retention of almost all of the heritage elements of the property

- parking for 16 cars

- 100% of the project is a BC Affordable Homeownership program

- Architect is D'Ambrosio Architecture 

- Developer/builder: us (Aryze)

and there you have it!

• Mike K., Kapten Kapsell, Nparker and 3 others like this

#2238 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 22 November 2019 - 04:25 PM

Two projects from this thread are going to public hearing on Nov 28: 1811 oak Bay Avenue and the townhouse proposal on Wilson Street in Vic West.
  • Mike K. likes this

#2239 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 23 November 2019 - 11:28 AM

There are no renderings yet, but a rezoning application has been filed for 2440 and 2448 Richmond Road just inside the city limits of Victoria near Royal Jubilee.  A developer is requesting a rezoning to build apartment buildings rental, I assume) on this site.

• Nparker likes this

#2240 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 23 November 2019 - 11:46 AM

... a rezoning application has been filed for 2440 and 2448 Richmond Road just inside the city limits of Victoria near Royal Jubilee...

Currently this.

2440-2448 Richmond.JPG

2440-2448 Richmond aerial.JPG

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users