Photo

Victoria Construction Rumour Thread + Info on Projects With No Dedicated Thread

• Please log in to reply
3804 replies to this topic

#2241 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 26 November 2019 - 08:53 AM

There are no renderings yet, but a rezoning application has been filed for 2440 and 2448 Richmond Road just inside the city limits of Victoria near Royal Jubilee.  A developer is requesting a rezoning to build apartment buildings rental, I assume) on this site.

Plans are up on dev tracker now.  22 units of workforce housing are planned (2 buildings with 11 suites each); 9 parking stalls are required and 9 are provided.  The developer is Cadillac Developments.

A rendering:  

richmond road.png

• MarkoJ and newbie_01 like this

#2242 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 26 November 2019 - 12:56 PM

The application for this development notes that the buildings are copies of their newly-constructed 'workforce housing' building on Doncaster.  That building is also located across the street for an employment centre (Hillside Mall), and so in both cases they are providing small units for rent in location that would allow potential tenants to walk to work, assuming that the worked at these employment centres.  However, there's no 'requirement' in place to work at Hillside Mall or RFH, and presumably you don't even have to work at all, i.e. a retiree could theoretically be a tenant at these buildings. 

#2243 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 26 November 2019 - 01:06 PM

The application for this development notes that the buildings are copies of their newly-constructed 'workforce housing' building on Doncaster.  That building is also located across the street for an employment centre (Hillside Mall), and so in both cases they are providing small units for rent in location that would allow potential tenants to walk to work, assuming that the worked at these employment centres.  However, there's no 'requirement' in place to work at Hillside Mall or RFH, and presumably you don't even have to work at all, i.e. a retiree could theoretically be a tenant at these buildings. 

Also the same as the one proposed in Sidney, which is the same architect for a different client

#2244 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 26 November 2019 - 01:07 PM

Is that really a way to 'grow roots' though?  I presume the jobs this so-called 'workforce' is engaged in aren't temporary.  

I looked at the plans - these are basically bachelor suites.  I suppose they serve a purpose, but anyone living there will grow out of them in a hurry.  It's not solving the long-term housing problem.  

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#2245 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 26 November 2019 - 01:37 PM

The application for this development notes that the buildings are copies of their newly-constructed 'workforce housing' building on Doncaster...

Which is one of the fugliest structures to go up in the CoV in some time.

#2246 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 26 November 2019 - 01:45 PM

Is that really a way to 'grow roots' though?  I presume the jobs this so-called 'workforce' is engaged in aren't temporary.  

I looked at the plans - these are basically bachelor suites.  I suppose they serve a purpose, but anyone living there will grow out of them in a hurry.  It's not solving the long-term housing problem.  

Let's not make assumptions about outgrowing places; you're a polar bear and I'm a black bear, so skeptics could assume that we require larger 'dens'..

#2247 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 26 November 2019 - 02:30 PM

Lol...

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2248 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,868 posts

Posted 27 November 2019 - 05:49 AM

can't anyone actually finally confirm the walmart hillside thing?

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 27 November 2019 - 05:49 AM.

#2249 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 27 November 2019 - 08:20 AM

I've moved the discussion on the affordability aspect of 'workforce' housing to the Affordable Housing thread to try to keep things tidier.  We can discuss the construction of said workforce housing here :)

• Mike K. and Nparker like this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#2250 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,776 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 27 November 2019 - 09:24 AM

Plans are up on dev tracker now.  22 units of workforce housing are planned (2 buildings with 11 suites each); 9 parking stalls are required and 9 are provided.  The developer is Cadillac Developments.

A rendering:  

richmond road.png

You are going to see a lot of these applications going forward as it is one way to make the numbers work for the developer. The thing about building studios is you can rent them out at approx +/- $4,000/month per 1,000 sq/ft.

You would never achieve that number building two bedroom units per sq/ft.

When I started buying pre-sales units as an investment 10 years ago I quickly figured the smaller it is the higher the return. Even wrote an article on it for citified -> http://victoria.citi...do-in-victoria/

Same concept applies to rental buildings.

Marko Juras, REALTOR® & Associate Broker | Gold MLS® 2011-2023 | Fair Realty

www.MarkoJuras.com Looking at Condo Pre-Sales in Victoria? Save Thousands!

#2251 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 05 December 2019 - 02:32 PM

Does anyone know if the 5-storey condo proposed at 1811 Oak Bay Avenue passed council last week?

• newbie_01 likes this

#2252 IPH

IPH
  • 278 posts

Posted 05 December 2019 - 03:28 PM

Yes, 8 hands for, none apposed.

• newbie_01 likes this

#2253 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 05 December 2019 - 03:38 PM

...none apposed.

They were all sitting in different rooms when they voted?

• Nparker and Daveyboy like this

#2254 IPH

IPH
  • 278 posts

Posted 05 December 2019 - 05:50 PM

No but they were wearing their monkey see, monkey do outfits!

#2255 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 19 December 2019 - 07:49 AM

For Gonzales, it went amazing haha!

Jokes aside, I would say a largely positive response with very real concerns over the condition and usage of Redfern as an informal pedestrian space that has parking challenges. The area as a whole is blessed with a ton of street parking so its a hard one to say, "you might have to park a little further away"... so we are gonna work with a traffic engineer on some solutions and see where we land.

The project details are:

- mix of 1bed, 2bed, and 3bed townhouses

- 18 homes in total

- height of 2.5 storeys

- retention of almost all of the heritage elements of the property

- parking for 16 cars

- 100% of the project is a BC Affordable Homeownership program

- Architect is D'Ambrosio Architecture 

- Developer/builder: us (Aryze)

and there you have it!

The official CALUC report, including neighbor Q&A, can be found here: https://fairfieldcom...ting_Report.pdf

• Kungsberg likes this

#2256 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 03 January 2020 - 12:11 PM

An 11-unit strata townhouse project has been proposed for 557 Simcoe:

simcoe and south turner.png

• Kungsberg likes this

#2257 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 03 January 2020 - 12:19 PM

Currently this.

557 simcoe.PNG

#2258 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 03 January 2020 - 12:20 PM

Oh that's a building in behind! I was wondering what the blocks on the roof were.

• Nparker likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2259 Kungsberg

Kungsberg
  • 419 posts

Posted 03 January 2020 - 12:53 PM

That image looks like it includes the corner property at South Turner as well, so it would be replacing more than the existing single house at 557 Simcoe.

#2260 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 03 January 2020 - 01:08 PM

That image looks like it includes the corner property at South Turner as well, so it would be replacing more than the existing single house at 557 Simcoe.

Yes, my apologies, in addition to the 557 Simcoe the rezoning application includes 160 South Turner St. as well...

• Kungsberg likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users