Victoria Construction Rumour Thread + Info on Projects With No Dedicated Thread

• Please log in to reply
3804 replies to this topic

#2921 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 12 August 2021 - 09:39 AM

PPPdev - not sure why I would need to eat humble pie at Picnic Point as my previous comments have in fact been confirmed. Ironically I’m also one of the few people of VV who has questioned the need for a parking lot at Clover Point, is supportive of bike lanes, in addition to the more popular increasing density in the core. As I’ve stated several times here on the past I like some of Aryze’s work, but not most - that’s fair, no?

Oh Zoomer, same old with you, bashing for the fun of it.

This is a wood laser cut massing study and you think it actually reflects any specific architecture for the building connection at the streetscape? Also, the site is zoned for the height so why is the default controversial?

At the least, wait for a more detailed design before you critique the work of one of the best architecture firms in the country.

Yes I actually think it will reflect the building connection at the streetscape, lol! From that massing study it’s clear there are two sidewalks immediately up against the building and the first two floors were specifically shown in that precision for a reason. And what do you know, picture proof below! The massing looks like it’s being fortified for a potential zombie attack - the actual building appears to have been modified and actually fortified for the attack! That corner has a terrible street presence, regardless of the fact that it’s an older building. Hopefully you can do something about that, and widen that friggin sidewalk, or move that tree out of way and use your influence to get some bike lanes beside it. It wouldn’t take much to make the ground level acceptable for what it is.

Based on your past work and that of 5468796 Architecture I was fully expecting a building that would focus on geometry but likely forget about context. I’m surprised you don’t think there will be any controversy over this - it’s immediately across a narrow street from a church and there is hardly any setback at all in this massing model. Having that rise straight up from a narrow sidewalk on a small site doesn’t make a lot of sense.

546Arch and Aryze are young firms that specialize in infill - very commendable. It feels like a maturing process, right now you’re still very much focussed on form, geometric lot configuration design challenges, and interior layouts. Hopefully over time as your firm matures you’ll take a more holistic approach and explore how to better connect the buildings to the neighbourhood and street. I love this quote from Cascadia Architects on a recent Instagram post: “Architecture and Urban Planning are inseparable, and our goal is to design integrated spaces rather than stand-alone objects.”

While 546Arch from Winnipeg has done some great work, they came to prominence over their circular spaceship design 62M, built on 35 foot high stilts to capture views for the residents in their pie shaped homes. Ok, to start with Winnipeg and views, yes it is beside a bridge, but if this isn’t a textbook case of designing in a bubble I don’t know what is. Pie shaped homes. On 35 foot tall stilts. As you can see in the pics below there is zero regard for the street and neighbourhood. It’s a cold, sterile, unsafe and ugly area now, unless you’re looking up to admire the pie on stilts. It’s not like there aren’t dozens of examples of how to build streets and building close to and overlooking bridges in Canada.

Anyways, hopefully this is constructive criticism PPPDev - and I’m more than willing to help or join your team. If you need someone to take on social media and community engagement or be part of your design team I’d be happy to take that on. Starting salary of 100K plus benefits and indexed pension, but it’ll be worth every penny. Feel free to DM me and we can set up a meeting.

62M Winnipeg: https://www.canadian...ade-of-housing/

HM-JamesBrittain_62M-016.jpg

HM-JamesBrittain_005.jpg

Attached Images

• 0165988F-9AC2-45E7-B0FD-57732B89174A.jpeg
  • FEF4A3F0-E0E6-4A0B-8506-40D377B6A9A6.jpeg

#2922 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 12 August 2021 - 09:42 AM

"The Abbey" dates from 1911 with a 1920 addition. It originally had a Chinese grocer as the ground floor tenant so perhaps that aspect of the architecture could be restored. I think it would be an improvement.

The building is not heritage designated but it is on the register. 

#2923 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 12 August 2021 - 09:48 AM

It would make sense for these guys to replace the frontage with more glass. I don't think anyone would shed a tear over those gaol-like windows.

• zoomer likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2924 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 12 August 2021 - 09:52 AM

If I am not mistaken, the (mostly) Quadra Street ground level frontage of The Abbey was once an open porch that was later enclosed.

#2925 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts

Posted 12 August 2021 - 05:15 PM

Is it April 1st? If not we have to seriously consider that Aryze is just a front for Trolls Gone Wild. From their social media engagement, political involvement and often ugly developments, they clearly enjoy yanking our chain, getting a reaction and seeing what they can get away with. I can't imagine this is a real thing, yet I present to you perhaps the Ugliest Frankenstein Victoria has ever seen.

Image from Aryze's Instagram feed.

Attached Images

• 41D8EEC8-FBCA-4229-B2E8-3FB254B6DDEE.jpeg

• newbie_01 likes this

#2926 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 12 August 2021 - 05:17 PM

This will never get built.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#2927 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts

Posted 12 August 2021 - 05:25 PM

To think that Northern Junk in it’s final gorgeous iteration barely squeaked by City Hall - and now a developer has the gall to present this as a real proposal, even at this early stage? I think it’s just the heat getting to me. I’ll wake up tomorrow and this thread won’t even exist..

#2928 DavidSchell

DavidSchell
  • 687 posts

Posted 12 August 2021 - 05:32 PM

Well we know "Ben never say YES" is a NO already.

#2929 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 12 August 2021 - 05:36 PM

The Admirals Inn pyramid has a better chance of appearing on the local landscape than this structure.

• zoomer likes this

#2930 PPPdev

PPPdev
  • 394 posts

Posted 12 August 2021 - 06:07 PM

Ooooo I love a challenge 😁
  • Mike K., Nparker, Matt R. and 2 others like this

#2931 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 12 August 2021 - 06:24 PM

Ooooo I love a challenge

Good. You're in for one.

• zoomer and Vicrazy like this

#2932 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts

Posted 12 August 2021 - 06:50 PM

If this damn pandemic ends in time, and if we all agree and sign in blood - how about we settle this with an old fashioned no holds barred cage match, unlimited substitutions allowed? Skip the public hearing all together. We need to find innovative ways to speed up the approval/denial process. We could hold it at Save On Foods on Pandora, by the deli counter. Tickets $10 each ($20 for cisgender white males) with the proceeds used to expand the bike lane network downtown.

#2933 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 12 August 2021 - 07:01 PM

I question why they left the corner as is, unless that is the original 1911 design. I hope a photo or plan exists of the original storefront because I think they can improve on it. 

Yes, it will be a tough sell. Although there are councillors bullish on density there will be those who worry about gutting a heritage-registered, century-old building and the accompanying spectre of Facadism although there are some locals who think Facadism might not be bad.

What it has going for it is the context; it's surrounded by towers, including North Park Manor (1975), Fisgard House and The Sandpiper

• aastra likes this

#2934 PPPdev

PPPdev
  • 394 posts

Posted 12 August 2021 - 07:08 PM

We are definitely going to improve the cuts in the existing brick building. We have a killer food/beverage tenant interested in the ground floor, it’ll be amazing when it’s ready.

We could demo that building and go 37m via straight DP but I love that little building, looking forward to advancing the design behind a wood laser cut model haha!
  • Mike K., aastra and corvus like this

#2935 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 12 August 2021 - 07:47 PM

In a hundred million years I never ever thought I would ever disagree with zoomer about anything ever even one time ever... but I'm actually not minding this concept.

That section of Quadra Street has a lot of variety in terms of uses, styles, eras, and massing (and the variety is nothing new). Methinks this building would be making a statement the same way Sands or North Park Manor or the police HQ made their statements. They weren't all making the same statement, is my point. Same for that goofy little condo building on North Park beside Sands (which 17% of VV forumers have lived in at some point in their lives). Meanwhile, the bland housing project kitty-corner from police HQ is lame because it wasn't even trying to say something interesting. And nobody can accuse this concept of trying too hard to reference or imitate the church buildings, like that modern office block on the Pandora corner.

My main concern at this point would be the cladding on the modern levels and the treatment of the old ground levels. For example, I wouldn't want them to go overboard trying to streamline the inconsistencies of the old part and thus make it look too uniform and regular. I like how disjointed it is.

Disagree? Speak up. Have your say.

• zoomer likes this

#2936 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 12 August 2021 - 08:01 PM

...Same for that goofy little condo building on North Park beside Sands (which 17% of VV forumers have lived in at some point in their lives)....

Ahem... <_<

#2937 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 12 August 2021 - 08:22 PM

...That section of Quadra Street has a lot of variety in terms of uses, styles, eras, and massing (and the variety is nothing new). Methinks this building would be making a statement the same way Sands or North Park Manor or the police HQ made their statements....

The massing seems acceptable in the context of The Abbey's neighbours.

Capture.PNG

I think the most push-back will come from those who feel it doesn't jive well with the First Metropolitan Church across Quadra.

#2938 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts

Posted 12 August 2021 - 10:48 PM

In a hundred million years I never ever thought I would ever disagree with zoomer about anything ever even one time ever... but I'm actually not minding this concept.

That section of Quadra Street has a lot of variety in terms of uses, styles, eras, and massing (and the variety is nothing new). Methinks this building would be making a statement the same way Sands or North Park Manor or the police HQ made their statements. They weren't all making the same statement, is my point. Same for that goofy little condo building on North Park beside Sands (which 17% of VV forumers have lived in at some point in their lives). Meanwhile, the bland housing project kitty-corner from police HQ is lame because it wasn't even trying to say something interesting. And nobody can accuse this concept of trying too hard to reference or imitate the church buildings, like that modern office block on the Pandora corner.

My main concern at this point would be the cladding on the modern levels and the treatment of the old ground levels. For example, I wouldn't want them to go overboard trying to streamline the inconsistencies of the old part and thus make it look too uniform and regular. I like how disjointed it is.

Disagree? Speak up. Have your say.

I think our concurrence rate is down to 74% this century.

Two beautiful parts could be disjointed and work, but not two ugly and flawed parts.

I think it needs a subtle exoskeleton to gently wrap around portions of the podium and then sweep upwards into the recessed new build. I'm thinking modern curved brick, or a more classic style similar to the 4 to 10 storey apartments that are being built in Tehran right now. With metal or brick screening panels to create intricate light patterns and control solar gain. Another possibility is a more glassy portion with copper accents or cladding.

I have my architects at ZoomerBoomer123 Development Corp working on some massing models made from dried Salt Spring Island kelp and the shells of heat dome boiled Fanny Bay mussels that I should be able to share in the near future.

#2939 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 13 August 2021 - 06:20 AM

I'll interrupt to note that if this summer heat is our new permanent reality we need more effort put into solar gain. A lot of these glassy new condos are now unlivable greenhouses and while it will horrify laser-loving modernist architects, some sort of awning/shield above the glass would seem to be the only viable alternative to installing unreasonably expensive air conditioning.

I recall a Dockside building having retractable screens.

#2940 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 13 August 2021 - 06:31 AM

It’s about a buck a day to keep an apartment cool in heatwaves with a/c, so that’s what, 15-20 bucks a year for days when we approach 30 Celsius? It’s no biggie. The more fancy stuff we install on the exterior, the more it will cost to maintain. And it seems to me that the trade-off for limited interior space is made tenable through large panes and limited exterior walls in favour of glass. Closing in small apartments would bring us right back to the nasty stuff of the 60s and 70s.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users