Victoria Construction Rumour Thread + Info on Projects With No Dedicated Thread

• Please log in to reply
3804 replies to this topic

#2941 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,012 posts

Posted 13 August 2021 - 07:14 AM

today’s air conditioning units really are a marvel of technology.

#2942 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 13 August 2021 - 08:33 AM

I am thinking of just installing a window unit for the bedroom. Any recommendations"

• Mike K. likes this

#2943 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,550 posts

Posted 13 August 2021 - 08:51 AM

I would recommend a mobile unit, as you never know if it might be handy in another room during the day.

Also, if you have a screen in your bedroom window you’ll have to remove it or change the frame of the screen to accommodate the window unit.
  • Nparker and Matt R. like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2944 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 13 August 2021 - 08:55 AM

It's an eyesore seeing all these jury-rigged units and their hoses crammed into windows. 

My point is architects should be thinking of mitigating technologies so expensive air conditioning won't be needed.

#2945 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,012 posts

Posted 13 August 2021 - 09:07 AM

It's an eyesore seeing all these jury-rigged units and their hoses crammed into windows.

My point is architects should be thinking of mitigating technologies so expensive air conditioning won't be needed.

I don’t think so. Should architects be designing buildings with an outdoor climate fridge area?

Specify 3 foot thick walls with a massive R value?

We can change the air temperature easily with mechanical means. That’s what we should do.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 13 August 2021 - 09:21 AM.

#2946 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,550 posts

Posted 13 August 2021 - 09:13 AM

Well, I mean we -could- join the rest of the world and install rooftop units so that all residents can reside in year-round comfort without jamming 1980s technology into their 2” window openings.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2947 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,738 posts

Posted 13 August 2021 - 09:13 AM

...We can change the air temperature easily with mechanical means. That’s what we should do.

Especially since there are really very few days of each year that require artificial indoor cooling. 90% of the time an open window is all most people need.

#2948 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,550 posts

Posted 13 August 2021 - 09:15 AM

Especially since there are really very few days of each year that require artificial indoor cooling. 90% of the time an open window is all most people need.

When windows barely open, our solution is to put junk in front to shade the sun from said windows that barely open. Talk about a nightmare. You live in a studio, your window opens barely wide enough to fit a pop can through it, and now the think tank wants to drastically reduce the pane size, and put stuff in front of it.

Know it all.

#2949 PPPdev

PPPdev
  • 394 posts

Posted 13 August 2021 - 09:40 AM

We run energy models on all projects and have a variable to account for climate change. Most of our new projects are Step 4 or Passive House standards and without active cooling or dampening, some units will have overheating issues. For centralized AC systems, the building code has conflicts with fire stopping all the exhausts/vents so its a real challenge as the Code is not allowing certain mainstream, proven technologies.

• Victoria Watcher and yellow_baron like this

#2950 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,550 posts

Posted 13 August 2021 - 09:45 AM

The Step Code has become a leading factor in rising housing costs, that’s for sure.
  • Victoria Watcher likes this

Know it all.

#2951 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 16 August 2021 - 09:11 PM

Since this is a rumour thread - a couple of days ago I witnessed one gentleman surveying the Robbins HQ parking lot with what appeared to be a total station. Funny, I’ve been wondering about that lot for a while, so it may be wishful thinking. It’s a prime lot for development - that whole corner including the odd little Robbins HQ building right on the corner of Fort and Cook, a neighbour of the old BC Ferries HQ.

#2952 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 25 August 2021 - 12:14 PM

It appears that a small townhouse project is going to be proposed for 515 Foul Bay Road in the Gonzales neighbourhood...

#2953 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 25 August 2021 - 12:43 PM

I will be watching for signs on the neighbouring houses protesting it.

• Mike K., DavidSchell and corvus like this

#2954 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 26 August 2021 - 09:12 AM

The proposal for 1042 Richardson, a 20-unit rental building, has been revised.  Here's a look at the new design: 

1042 richardson.png

• newbie_01 likes this

#2955 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 26 August 2021 - 09:21 AM

Here's an updated look at the Village Green redevelopment proposed for James Bay at the Menzies/Niagara corner.  The proposal contains 137 units including several 3-bedroom homes.

village green.png

• newbie_01 and punk cannonballer like this

#2956 punk cannonballer

punk cannonballer
  • 239 posts

Posted 26 August 2021 - 09:33 AM

That looks great.

#2957 qv

qv
  • 297 posts

Posted 26 August 2021 - 09:59 AM

I really like that James Bay design, but I can't unsee the Tetris windows.
  • Redd42 likes this

#2958 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,550 posts

Posted 26 August 2021 - 10:25 AM

Oh yeah, that's coming along really well. 

Know it all.

#2959 PPPdev

PPPdev
  • 394 posts

Posted 26 August 2021 - 01:08 PM

It looks like a seniors hospital...

• Nparker, DavidSchell and m3m like this

#2960 aastra

aastra
  • 20,753 posts

Posted 26 August 2021 - 04:53 PM

Richardson looks like it could be a cool little building if it had the right cladding.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users