Photo

Victoria Construction Rumour Thread + Info on Projects With No Dedicated Thread

• Please log in to reply
3791 replies to this topic

#3261 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 02 September 2022 - 10:41 PM

Aryze is finally having a public information meeting for the proposed 902 Foul Bay. Tuesday Sept 6 at 7 pm at the Oak Bay Rec Centre. They sent out postcards around the neighbourhood. 

https://aryze.ca/projects/902foulbay

Thinking of going to be a fly on the wall. Likely be as entertaining as FB was this evening over the vape store.

One thing that does strike me is since they are planning for 18 units (some 3 bedrooms) but only 14 parking spaces, they then say there are 841 street parking spaces within a 5 minute walk. Since when has a developer been able to claim public property to support their proposal?

• Kapten Kapsell likes this

#3262 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,328 posts

Posted 03 September 2022 - 05:23 AM

https://www.timescol...is-fall-5776379

Aryze has agreed to offer car-share memberships, with $100 in usage credits, for each dwelling unit and at least 30 long-term bicycle parking spaces, half of them with electric-bicycle charging capability, and a bicycle repair stand with tools and a wash area.

The proposal requires removing 28 trees, including 17 that are protected under the city’s tree preservation bylaw.

Another 14 trees would be retained, and 33 would be planted to meet the city’s two-for-one replacement ratio.

Opposition group website:

https://www.902foulbay.ca/more-info

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 03 September 2022 - 05:26 AM.

#3263 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 03 September 2022 - 06:40 AM

This rhetoric about trees in Langford has got to stop. It’s juvenile and hypocritical, and just low hanging sound bite stuff.

Housing requires some form of sacrifice, doesn’t it? The removal of 28 trees from an urban canopy is going to hurt, and it sucks. But the new ones Aryze will plant will grow back. So will the ones in Langford that Victoria politicians spend so much energy on.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3264 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 03 September 2022 - 06:44 AM

But help me understand something.

28 trees are being cut down. 33 are being planted under a 2:1 ratio. Shouldn’t there be 56 trees planted? Is the City’s program not really a 2:1, but a “plant trees back, and pay us for those you don’t plant back, at a 2:1 total?”

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3265 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,328 posts

Posted 03 September 2022 - 07:04 AM

We need not worry about the number of trees taken down, from a climate point of view. It’s irrelevant compared to the number of trees in Canada.

So who cares what Langford is doing.

But it’s fine to discuss it with regard to esthetics.

#3266 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 03 September 2022 - 07:19 AM

This degree of fear mongering and disinformation is at the core of housing Twitter. Sympathetic council candidates will go so far as to claim only one form of housing cuts down, or in this case, destroys trees. Some also pretend they are only destroyed in other municipalities.

20 years ago we challenged NIMBY’s for outright lies and deceit that corrupted sincere conversations. Today, it’s the YIMBY’s who are using that style of engagement, unabashedly.

23E8344B-3C3A-4AD1-9F7F-2ED6AF8E8A46.jpeg

Know it all.

#3267 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 03 September 2022 - 09:04 AM

Opposition group website:

https://www.902foulbay.ca/more-info

It will be entertaining if the opponents make a stink about the parking as I know for a fact at least 2 of them do not park on their own properties but on the street. One of them even puts an orange traffic cone in front of their house to reserve their "spot".

• Matt R. likes this

#3268 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 03 September 2022 - 09:08 AM

Oh that’s so awesome!! I love parking in those spots (if I know for certain the individual does not have a disability).

Know it all.

#3269 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 03 September 2022 - 02:50 PM

My only objection to people parking in front of our house is they inevitably put their tire right on top of the storm drain, which causes us serious problems in rainy Novembers - a flooded basement. There doesn't seem to be any way to get people to stop doing it. 

#3270 LJ

LJ
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 03 September 2022 - 07:29 PM

^Spike belt.

• Matt R. likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#3271 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,868 posts

Posted 03 September 2022 - 07:30 PM

Orange cone, unless Mike K’s mum lives nearby then all bets are off.
  • Mike K. and Victoria Watcher like this

#3272 TallGuy

TallGuy
  • 108 posts

Posted 06 September 2022 - 09:31 AM

But help me understand something.

28 trees are being cut down. 33 are being planted under a 2:1 ratio. Shouldn’t there be 56 trees planted? Is the City’s program not really a 2:1, but a “plant trees back, and pay us for those you don’t plant back, at a 2:1 total?”

Sometimes the lot doesn't have enough space/soil volume to support all replacement trees, so the city has to plant the remaining trees in a different location. This doesn't completely make sense, but if they reduce the ratio once the city's canopy is full, I guess that I can see the benefit.

I don't think it's fair to equate the complete clear cutting of acres of land in Langford to the spot removal of trees in the core to support a building footprint and services. That's not an apples to apples comparison. Trees can be replanted, but they aren't full-canopied trees that provide worthy noise barriers/shade/privacy/habitat/traffic separation/rain cover/etc. for a long time afterwards. Without swinging too far the other way, they could mandate more tree retention/tree removal justification from developers to create more pleasant neighborhoods that aren't waiting 20+ years for their trees to grow.

#3273 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 06 September 2022 - 09:44 AM

Very good, thank you.

On the flip side, once you disturb mature trees that are in a forested area, they can become hazards for the homes that are built.*

*I'm not a forester, just my musings based on conversations with builders and loggers (I live near several).

I don't see much difference between cutting down 28 mature trees in the city centre where there are already few trees, and that being considered ok, but cutting down second or third generation trees in Langford where there are many more trees, isn't. Those Langford trees, though, end up becoming the materials that are used to build the housing in Victoria.

Know it all.

#3274 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,238 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 06 September 2022 - 09:52 AM

Pfft. I suspect the vast majority of those Langford trees end up as firewood.

#3275 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 06 September 2022 - 09:55 AM

They go to mills, and end up as wood products at Home Depot, and the paper your kids write on in school.

Know it all.

#3276 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,404 posts

Posted 06 September 2022 - 09:58 AM

...the paper your kids write on in school.

Kids still use paper in school?  :wacko:

• Barrrister likes this

#3277 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 06 September 2022 - 10:03 AM

Where do people think wood products come from? Some factory, somewhere?

There are two relatively large/comprehensive cedar mills operating in the CRD. They supply the trades across this whole region. Their trees are cut locally.

Know it all.

#3278 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,238 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 06 September 2022 - 01:21 PM

Aren't there some local developers on here? Can some of them chime in as to what they do with the logs of the odd tree cut down on a lot? Is there a difference depending on how many trees are felled, (i.e. 1-2 vs 10 vs 30), and what type of trees? 

#3279 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 06 September 2022 - 01:52 PM

It depends on the type of tree, it’s age, its health, etc.

In Langford’s case the second or third gen ‘forests’ are sent to mills, sometimes pulp mills and sometimes to make building materials.

In Victoria’s case, the trees being largely ornamental or not grown in a forest setting (lots of limbs, etc), they might end up as firewood, wood chips, etc. But every tree is sold off if possible for some use or product. The urban canopy, by and large, is made up of trees that are not used for lumber.

Know it all.

#3280 LJ

LJ
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 06 September 2022 - 07:35 PM

Every subdivision that clear-cuts, sells their logs to a mill to be turned into lumber.

Why wouldn't you, you make some good coin that way.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users