Photo

Victoria Construction Rumour Thread + Info on Projects With No Dedicated Thread

• Please log in to reply
3791 replies to this topic

#581 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 27 April 2016 - 06:27 AM

what's happening at the old farmer's construction office & the building with the marine supply place next door? they've both been torn down. ...

Car dealership.

#582 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 21 May 2016 - 10:48 AM

1001  Blanshard St.

http://www.fortprope...ommon-district/

screenshot-www.fortproperties.ca 2016-05-21 11-50-48.jpg

IMG_0092.JPG IMG_0091.JPG IMG_0090.JPG IMG_0089.JPG IMG_0088.JPG IMG_0087.JPG IMG_0085.JPG

• Nparker likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#583 viccity

viccity
  • 17 posts

Posted 07 June 2016 - 09:40 PM

Is this still happening? 

0310-victoria-harbour-market-4.jpg

#584 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,240 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 08 June 2016 - 08:37 AM

Is this still happening? 

0310-victoria-harbour-market-4.jpg

I wish!

• Nparker and thundergun like this

#585 johnk

johnk
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 08 June 2016 - 11:09 AM

SW exposure on the old Van City site and a large forecourt says outdoor dining and drinking to me!

#586 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 08 June 2016 - 11:22 AM

Yup, that's what's coming. I don't think we have a rooftop bar/eatery other than the one atop the Wicket -- but here they'll be going for a much different vibe.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#587 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 08 June 2016 - 11:31 AM

SW exposure on the old Van City site and a large forecourt says outdoor dining and drinking to me!

I don't see a SW exposure dining space in this artist's rendering (other than the parking area)

FC.JPG

I would think the interior courtyard would be quite shaded, but if the rooftop is going to be open for dining then I suppose that will be plenty exposed (perhaps too much so).

• viccity likes this

#588 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,116 posts

Posted 08 June 2016 - 11:47 AM

when the escher is done that block will be unrecognizable, in a good way  :banana:

• Nparker and viccity like this

#589 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 08 June 2016 - 04:27 PM

For the past two days there have been crews at VI Auto Exchange (Johnson & Quadra) doing drilling/soil testing of some sort. Speculate all you want on what that could be about.

• zoomer and Nparker like this

#590 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 08 June 2016 - 05:04 PM

New heliport?

Nuclear power plant?

#591 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 08 June 2016 - 05:11 PM

New heliport?

Only if it's on the roof of a 20+ story tower...you know...because they need that height for safety and such...better air for takeoff...less noise on the ground...it all adds up!

#592 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,240 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 08 June 2016 - 06:58 PM

Yup, that's what's coming. I don't think we have a rooftop bar/eatery other than the one atop the Wicket -- but here they'll be going for a much different vibe.

Am i confused about where this is? It looks to me across from Bastion Sq. on Wharf. One of the parking lots in the harbour.

#593 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,116 posts

Posted 08 June 2016 - 08:03 PM

Am i confused about where this is? It looks to me across from Bastion Sq. on Wharf. One of the parking lots in the harbour.

across the street from the royal theatre, same block as the escher

Edited by amor de cosmos, 08 June 2016 - 08:03 PM.

#594 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 09 June 2016 - 08:50 AM

across the street from the royal theatre, same block as the escher

In the tent city district.

• Nparker likes this

#595 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 09 June 2016 - 09:35 AM

In the tent city district.

Or as we locals like to call it: SICO

#596 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 09 June 2016 - 01:50 PM

750-Pemberton-Road.jpg

Rockland townhome proposal marks rare opportunity in historic neighbourhood

http://victoria.citi...-neighbourhood/

A townhome development has been proposed for 750 Pemberton Road in Victoria’s historic Rockland neighbourhood, marking a rare opportunity to acquire a new-build residence in the up-market area.

Victoria-based Melanie Smith Developments has applied for permits to build a collection of five boutique townhomes, sized between 2,050 and 2,234 square feet over 2.5 levels, adjacent to a 117-year-old manor (currently divided into eight rental apartments) and its accessory building (containing a single rental unit). The manor, according to the latest plans, will be converted into a single-family-dwelling as per the City of Victoria’s zoning requirements.

• viccity likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#597 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 09 June 2016 - 02:05 PM

...A townhome development has been proposed for 750 Pemberton Road in Victoria’s historic Rockland neighbourhood, marking a rare opportunity to acquire a new-build residence in the up-market area...

I've been inside that character home many times as I had friends who lived there for a few years back in the late 90s. As I recall, it was divided into about 7 or 8 suites at that time. The grounds were beautiful and pretty much intact from the time of home's original build. I can see the neighbours putting up a fight at the proposal of additional structures on this site.

As per the new zoning requirements, who is going to buy the manor house if it can no longer be subdivided and must be sold as one SFD? 

Edited by Nparker, 09 June 2016 - 02:08 PM.

#598 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 09 June 2016 - 02:16 PM

Is it possible that the manor home will be sold as a single large strata unit?  I think something similar happened at a development along Foul Bay Road near Gonzales? 

#599 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 10 June 2016 - 07:48 AM

Having spoken to the developer at length, the City of Victoria, at the time of the purchase of that property, had said that building three additional units on that property would not be a problem and would only require a variance plus the necessary permits. This meant no public hearing.

Although they were not required to, they engaged the community association and received support for three townhomes plus the nine units already used as rentals, which they had wanted to protect by agreeing to a covenant with the City. Unexpectedly, the community association pulled its support and the City of Victoria passed a sudden zoning amendment that nixed the possibility of adding the three townhomes, and in fact made the nine-units already on the property in violation of the zoning.

When the possibility of losing rental stock in order to comply with the new zoning was brought to council and the City, they are alleged to have shrugged their shoulders.

Ideally, the developer says, council will allow them to proceed with their original plans of building three townhomes and maintaining the rental units in perpetuity, but that's unlikely to happen.

Know it all.

#600 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 14 June 2016 - 09:17 PM

I don't know how up to date the proposal is but the house at 2560 Quadra near Kings was demolished the other day.

2011 article:

"The application at 2560 Quadra St. proposes to demolish a single-family home in favour of a four-storey building with commercial main floor and 17 residential units above."

http://www.vicnews.c...tml?mobile=true

2015 presentation:

https://victoria.civ...resentation.pdf

Edited by Rob Randall, 14 June 2016 - 09:18 PM.

• Nparker likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users