Victoria Construction Rumour Thread + Info on Projects With No Dedicated Thread

• Please log in to reply
3804 replies to this topic

#621 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 18 August 2016 - 04:31 PM

Alongside the surface lot next to Sugar Nightclub on Yates and the large surface lot near Value Village, I'd consider this site to be one of the top 3 *prime* undeveloped surface lots in all of downtown (not counting the remaining 3 car dealerships along Cook Street in Harris Green East)...

They had the parking lot blocked off this morning again with two drilling rigs doing samples along the Yates street side. 

I assume rental would make sense here (especially with the Central Care Home Current Usage), with the parking garage off of Johnson.. maybe a new fangled double door parking garage..

• Nparker and Mr Cook Street like this

#622 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 19 August 2016 - 10:06 AM

I actually think that the Yates Street surface lot could be a good site for office use or a rental tower... or how about something truly mixed with ground-level retail, offices on the floors immediately above, and rental on the highest floors?

• Nparker likes this

#623 Mr Cook Street

Mr Cook Street
  • 942 posts

Posted 19 August 2016 - 10:31 AM

I actually think that the Yates Street surface lot could be a good site for office use or a rental tower... or how about something truly mixed with ground-level retail, offices on the floors immediately above, and rental on the highest floors?

You could have two towers. Office facing Yates, residential facing Johson and the parkade entrance off of Johnson. With more height variation than the Yates/View development going on right now.

• Nparker likes this

#624 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,507 posts

Posted 19 August 2016 - 02:46 PM

Harris Green Village has recently sold to a large company back east ( don't know which). They performed soil samples and found an old gas tank near the corner of Yates Quadra. Guess thereally was a gas station there at some time?

That's not quite the case. The sale is still pending and won't close until later this year. No details have been revealed other than that and they won't be for some time. As soon as the sale closes I'll have all the details available :)
  • Mr Cook Street likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#625 Mr Cook Street

Mr Cook Street
  • 942 posts

Posted 19 August 2016 - 03:04 PM

That's not quite the case. The sale is still pending and won't close until later this year. No details have been revealed other than that and they won't be for some time. As soon as the sale closes I'll have all the details available :)

Details like the condo tower they are going to put on top of London Drugs?

#626 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,507 posts

Posted 19 August 2016 - 03:36 PM

Ha!

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#627 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 23 August 2016 - 09:30 AM

Well, the 5-unit townhouse development being constructed in James Bay is now being marketed on the MLS.  This development is called The Linq and the suites range in price from the mid-700s to mid-800s.  The developer is "JP Creations" of Kamloops, and the address is 549 Toronto Street.

Edited by Kapten Kapsell, 23 August 2016 - 09:32 AM.

• Mike K. likes this

#628 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,711 posts

Posted 23 August 2016 - 09:38 AM

... the 5-unit townhouse development being constructed in James Bay...is called The Linq and the suites range in price from the mid-700s to mid-800s...

How big are those suites?  :eek:

#629 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,344 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 23 August 2016 - 09:44 AM

How big are those suites?  :eek:

~1600 sq ft.

Example: https://www.realtor....Columbia-V8V1P1

#630 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 23 August 2016 - 10:17 AM

Well, the 5-unit townhouse development being constructed in James Bay is now being marketed on the MLS.  This development is called The Linq and the suites range in price from the mid-700s to mid-800s.  

I hope the exterior is clad in briq.

• Nparker likes this

#631 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 23 August 2016 - 10:22 AM

So... yet another modern box in brown and grey? This look is becoming haqneyed in a hurry.

• jeffifah likes this

#632 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,235 posts

Posted 23 August 2016 - 10:40 AM

And you notice the new trend for older apartment buildings that are being spiffed up? Grey and white. Just like is being done to the Victoria Regent. Might drive me to distraqtion.

Edited by Hotel Mike, 23 August 2016 - 10:43 AM.

Don't be so sure.:cool:

#633 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 23 August 2016 - 11:06 AM

Don't hold your breath waiting for the city to craq down on it.

#634 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 23 August 2016 - 12:03 PM

Security guy told me it was a done deal?
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#635 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,507 posts

Posted 23 August 2016 - 03:07 PM

Nope, still a ways out. Last week I had a chance to chat with one of the parties involved.
  • sdwright.vic likes this

Know it all.

#636 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 27 August 2016 - 10:32 PM

Forgive the crazy scale mash up and large cars of the future (not to mention the CN tower twin I plan to build at Clover Point) but here's a proposal for the Audi dealership at Yates and Cook.  Even left a bit of the old dealership and building on View for context.

Actually it's a Toronto mid rise condo.  Decent no?  We could dip down to four stories in the middle to allow some precious sunset light in to the buildings behind.  Not that we care for anyone in the Wave and their sunset light. 

eWjL3VR.jpg

• Mike K., Nparker and 2F2R like this

#637 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 28 August 2016 - 08:29 AM

Are there any actual plans in the works for the Audi site once it moved to Douglas Street?

#638 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,507 posts

Posted 28 August 2016 - 09:04 AM

Nothing at this time that I'm aware of. It is a high profile, prime location, for sure.

Know it all.

#639 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 28 August 2016 - 09:20 AM

Was able to confirm last night from a Shoppers employee that they will be moving into the Chapter's downtown location as soon as Chapter's lease is up. Report is the Shoppers building is practically failing down on the inside, so doubt anything will be salvageable. Do we think the city would let anything tall be built there?
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#640 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,711 posts

Posted 28 August 2016 - 09:42 AM

Was able to confirm last night from a Shoppers employee that they will be moving into the Chapter's downtown location as soon as Chapter's lease is up. Report is the Shoppers building is practically failing down on the inside, so doubt anything will be salvageable. Do we think the city would let anything tall be built there?

That's kind of sad on 2 fronts: losing the downtown Chapters, and the current Shoppers location likely sitting vacant for years. Council will NEVER allow anything tall to be built on the west side of Douglas.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users