Photo

Victoria Construction Rumour Thread + Info on Projects With No Dedicated Thread

• Please log in to reply
3804 replies to this topic

#121 cocity

cocity
  • 10 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 10:49 PM

That building on Government/Langley is definitely the building is definitely the heritage rehabilitation that I was referring to.

The Fernwood Urban Village is not what I'm thinking of for the Fernwood projects. The sites the Fernwood NRG have purchased are 2009 Fernwood & 1310 Gladstone.

Thanks for the welcome Mike K. - this website is great for keeping track of developments.

#122 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 08:04 AM

I got a tip that there is going to be a major redevelopment of the Federal building at Wharf and Government, across from the Visitor Information Centre. I understand this building was built in the modern style about fifty years ago and was "heritage-ized" in the eighties to match the older buildings nearby. Stan Sipos is behind it. I don't know if it's demolition or renovation. But for a prominent building in the centre of the tourist district it is very pedestrian-unfriendly, a real dead zone.

• Mike K. likes this
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#123 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 08:07 AM

I got a tip that there is going to be a major redevelopment of the Federal building at Wharf and Government, across from the Visitor Information Centre. I understand this building was built in the modern style about fifty years ago and was "heritage-ized" in the eighties to match the older buildings nearby. Stan Sipos is behind it. I don't know if it's demolition or renovation. But for a prominent building in the centre of the tourist district it is very pedestrian-unfriendly, a real dead zone.

Dead Zone?  

Darth.jpg

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#124 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 08:11 AM

Is this for real? As coincidence would have it, we talked about this building in the imaginary projects thread not too long ago.

#125 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 11:36 AM

Sounds like a good scoop! The west portion of the building is authentically old but has very little interaction with the sidewalk

#126 Brick and Mortar

Brick and Mortar
  • 47 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 03:35 PM

Sounds like a good scoop! The west portion of the building is authentically old but has very little interaction with the sidewalk

This is for real. Holden West is pretty accurate with his info. The project will be mixed use retail at grade and undecide how the above grade will unfold.

#127 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 09:28 PM

Cielo Properties' website is no longer online. Any contact info for the developer?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#128 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,690 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 10:33 AM

Some proposed social housing developments in the North Park neighbourhood:

http://www.timescolo...e-poor-1.846707

#129 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 11:55 AM

The edge of the building will be facing the street?

#130 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,690 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 12:45 PM

The edge of the building will be facing the street?

I can't tell for sure from the picture. The lot would suggest otherwise.

#131 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 07:32 PM

At least it's five floors. Would be nice if something artistic could be done with the big blank wall facing the street though

#132 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 08:56 PM

The TC is reporting that a 6 story (or 7?) residential rental building at 1950 Blanshard (across from the arena) will start construction in the fall

#133 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 09:01 PM

Yeah wow check this out

1950 Blanshard Street is a 7 story concrete building. It has 5 stories of affordable rental housing consisting of 65 units designed for singles above 2 stories of commercial space.

http://gvrds.org/node/6

Existing site - https://maps.google....UUnPUWj6zdEXKCw

It looks like the box phenomenon popular on Vancouver and Toronto buildings is coming to Victoria

victoria-1950blanshardst-01.jpg

And who was that saying there's going to be a slowdown in construction in Victoria?

#134 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 09:22 PM

that looks really cool.

#135 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,690 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 09:42 PM

See now that is how (and where) you design a box.  :) It would replace this:

Untitled.jpg

Edited by Nparker, 15 February 2014 - 09:46 PM.

#136 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 10:47 PM

I've created a thread for this project :)

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#137 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 12:17 PM

The south side of downtown in the background?

#138 thundergun

thundergun
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 19 February 2014 - 10:20 AM

Does anyone know what this thing (Google Maps) is on top of the Bay Centre? I'm referring to the elevated portion at the top edge of the building, above the kitchen store and grocer on the edge of View just east of Broad. 

I got a view of it from above the other day and the sides of the elevated structure are covered in scaffolding and they may be doing some work on the top. Not sure if anyone has, or is able to get, a picture of it but it is a unique covered terrace. If it's not already, I'm hoping they're turning it into usable space. Could be a great (small) spot for events or, wishful thinking, a rooftop lounge.

#139 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 10:36 AM

Isn't that where the management offices are located? I've seen people on the roof mingling about a few times. Must be a nice view from up there :)

Know it all.

#140 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 11:20 AM

I just noticed this the other day. They've made an eye catching change to it lately, but I'm not sure exactly what. It's now lit dramatically at night, maybe that's it. If someone could get a night shot from a parkade that would be awesome.

"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users