Victoria Construction Rumour Thread + Info on Projects With No Dedicated Thread

• Please log in to reply
3791 replies to this topic

#1381 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 13 March 2018 - 12:56 PM

A 24-unit rental apartment has been proposed for 415 and 435 Michigan Street.

So the application has been filed now? Here's the Citified write-up from last year for those interested: https://victoria.cit...ichigan-street/

And the VV thread is here: https://vibrantvicto...oreys-proposed/

Edited by Jackerbie, 13 March 2018 - 12:58 PM.

#1382 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,410 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 01:03 PM

A 24-unit rental apartment has been proposed for 415 and 435 Michigan Street.

How long before someone complains it's too tall, too dense, too many trees are being removed, it's too expensive and will have an adverse affect on traffic/parking. In other words, the same objections made every single time increased density is proposed.

Edit: mods, please feel free to move my comments to the dedicated thread noted in Jackerbie's post above.

Edited by Nparker, 13 March 2018 - 01:05 PM.

#1383 allstonj

allstonj
  • 24 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 09:10 AM

How long before someone complains it's too tall, too dense, too many trees are being removed, it's too expensive and will have an adverse affect on traffic/parking. In other words, the same objections made every single time increased density is proposed.

Already done at the last JBNA monthly meeting.

http://www.jbna.org/minutes.pdf (This link will be out of date in a few weeks as the most recent set of minutes overwrites it)

#1384 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 09:15 AM

So the application has been filed now? Here's the Citified write-up from last year for those interested: https://victoria.cit...ichigan-street/

And the VV thread is here: https://vibrantvicto...oreys-proposed/

My bad, I didn't realize I was posting about something that already had an article/thread.

#1385 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 15 March 2018 - 07:21 AM

The developers behind the 6-storey development at 210 Gorge Road East (containing both affordable and supportive housing units) have applied for rezoning and a development permit with the CoV.  The most recent (Nov 2107) letter from the neighbourhood association (BGCA) to the city still opposes this development, though the expressed some satisfaction with the massing.  The opposition, based on their previous (Sept 2017) letter, seems to be related to the inclusion of supportive housing units.

No renderings have been posted to dev tracker yet.

#1386 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,185 posts

Posted 15 March 2018 - 07:40 AM

Right, the Cool Aid project. Thank you for the update.

I don't know if renderings have changed, but visuals and more info can be viewed here: https://victoria.cit...orge-road-east/

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1387 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,410 posts

Posted 15 March 2018 - 09:52 AM

Have we seen this proposal before?

Capture.JPG  Capture2.JPG

Capture3.JPG

#1388 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,185 posts

Posted 15 March 2018 - 01:13 PM

Wow. That’s quite the infill project!

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1389 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,410 posts

Posted 15 March 2018 - 01:23 PM

Wow. That’s quite the infill project!

But is it "gentle density"?

#1390 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 15 March 2018 - 02:22 PM

But is it "gentle density"?

No, because it is bare land strata. As originally defined, "gentle density" refers to attached or semi-attached ground oriented housing, so duplexes, triplexes, and townhouses, etc.

#1391 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,410 posts

Posted 15 March 2018 - 02:27 PM

...As originally defined, "gentle density" refers to attached or semi-attached ground oriented housing, so duplexes, triplexes, and townhouses, etc.

I always prefer that my housing be attached or at least semi-attached to the ground.

#1392 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 21 March 2018 - 04:57 PM

From FGCA:

“Abigail’s hotel at 906 McClure St. has bought the adjacent house at 910 McClure St.

The proposal is to build a standalone hotel with main floor breakfast area and three floors of hotel rooms (11 in total). There will be an extension of the surface parking at the rear of the property. “

A rendering of the proposed building:

14BA071C-F230-4CDA-B937-6A21AC5DC2EE.jpeg
  • Nparker likes this

#1393 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,410 posts

Posted 21 March 2018 - 05:34 PM

...Abigail’s hotel at 906 McClure St. has bought the adjacent house at 910 McClure St. The proposal is to build a standalone hotel with main floor breakfast area and three floors of hotel rooms (11 in total)...

Not entirely unlike the previous addition to the west of the original building.

Capture.JPG

Capture2.JPG

#1394 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 11:58 AM

Dev Tracker shows a new application to build a 13-unit condo building in James Bay at 430 Parry Street; no images or plans have been uploaded yet.

#1395 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 23 March 2018 - 12:04 PM

Dev Tracker shows a new application to build a 13-unit condo building in James Bay at 430 Parry Street; no images or plans have been uploaded yet.

Capture.png

Character home built around 1908, was on the market for $1.3 million, sandwiched between a four storey apartment building and two-storey townhouses that are very reminiscent of Dutch "suburbs," IMHO

#1396 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,185 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 12:11 PM

It's a project by the same folks who are building the rental complex on Alder Street in Saanich. Four-storeys, stacked townhome residences and a live-work unit. More details coming up but I need to confirm some numbers.

• Kapten Kapsell likes this

Know it all.

#1397 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 12:53 PM

It's a project by the same folks who are building the rental complex on Alder Street in Saanich. Four-storeys, stacked townhome residences and a live-work unit. More details coming up but I need to confirm some numbers.

Thanks for this heads up Mike.  What's the name of the development company- are they a small outfit and/or new in town?

#1398 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,185 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 04:05 AM

It’s the Aryze folks with Purdey Group.
  • Kapten Kapsell likes this

Know it all.

#1399 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 24 March 2018 - 05:02 PM

I've heard that there have been some significant land sales in Harris Green at Pandora and Vancouver. Apparently the McDonalds recently sold, and the print shop has been picked up by Townline. Cox may be willing to sell the old McCall site, and the SDA Church has been approach by Townline and Cox about property consolidation.

• Kapten Kapsell and Nparker like this

#1400 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 25 March 2018 - 01:13 PM

Bet mcdonalds will move into BlueSky
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users