Photo

Victoria Construction Rumour Thread + Info on Projects With No Dedicated Thread

• Please log in to reply
3804 replies to this topic

#1741 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 01 February 2019 - 04:33 PM

The revitalized Bell Apartments are going to be a nice rental building on Cook Street once renovations are fully complete this month (this is the building with Wet Cleaner and Wong Brothers; a fire impacted the upper storeys some time ago). Website: http://www.bellapartments.ca
  • Rob Randall and Nparker like this

#1742 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 01 February 2019 - 04:38 PM

The revitalized Bell Apartments are going to be a nice rental building on Cook Street once renovations are fully complete...

There is confidence that the adjacent project will get approved.

...The immediate future will see the new construction of a sister building adjacent to the Bell Apartments, aptly named The Charlesworth. This 14-unit condominium project has been designed to respect its stylistic and architectural context while not denying its own time period. The buildings will complement each other, and The Charlesworth aims to bring a contemporary authenticity to the neighbourhood....

#1743 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 01 February 2019 - 06:34 PM

The application for rental is a little over the top!
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#1744 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 01 February 2019 - 06:37 PM

It’s pretty through, for sure. I don’t think I’ve ever seen an application ask if you vape, or if you’ve had things repo’d.
  • Nparker and sdwright.vic like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1745 threePs

threePs
  • 66 posts

Posted 04 February 2019 - 09:04 AM

I was really optimistic for this building but the unit layouts are awful. All kitchens separated from the living spaces, many even without windows.

#1746 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 04 February 2019 - 09:18 AM

...All kitchens separated from the living spaces, many even without windows.

Is this possibly a result of the original layouts? In an apartment building from this era kitchens would have been designed to be separate from the rest of the living space. "Open concept" wasn't a thing then.

#1747 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 04 February 2019 - 10:37 AM

I'm not sure if it's been mentioned yet, but Jawl Residential now owns the Garden Works site on Oak Bay Avenue near Redfern.  They should be making a presentation to the South Jubilee CALUC in the next month or so.                 

• Nparker likes this

#1748 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 04 February 2019 - 10:46 AM

In reference to the conversation from a few days ago about the CIBC building, there's this:

Untitled.jpg

• TransplantedEdmontonian likes this

#1749 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 04 February 2019 - 10:47 AM

I'm not sure if it's been mentioned yet, but Jawl Residential now owns the Garden Works site on Oak Bay Avenue near Redfern.  They should be making a presentation to the South Jubilee CALUC in the next month or so.                 

They made a "preliminary" presentation back in November. 4 storeys, ground floor commercial, 35 residential units. Underground parking for 44 vehicles, commercial parking at rear for 13 vehicles. Condo/rental question has not been decided yet.

• Kapten Kapsell likes this

#1750 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 04 February 2019 - 11:24 AM

In reference to the conversation from a few days ago about the CIBC building...

Maybe it's just me, but I have always found this building quite attractive. Of course, I am interested in Brutalism...at least when it's done well.

• Dr. Barillas likes this

#1751 Casual Kev

Casual Kev
  • 794 posts

Posted 04 February 2019 - 12:24 PM

Maybe it's just me, but I have always found this building quite attractive. Of course, I am interested in Brutalism...at least when it's done well.

You're not a true lover of Brutalism unless you can stand to look at this:

160101_Walker_03odonovan_29398x.jpg

• Dr. Barillas likes this

#1752 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 04 February 2019 - 12:25 PM

I am interested in Brutalism...

You'd be near the top of the list of the most brutalist VV forumers, for sure.

I wish one of you 3D rendering hotshots would do a reclad of the CIBC building (or the smaller one on the Fort St. corner) just to see what it could look like. Pick your flavour:
http://www.shildan.com/project/

For example:
https://www.urbanrea...furb_plans.html

Edited by aastra, 04 February 2019 - 12:27 PM.

#1753 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 04 February 2019 - 12:45 PM

...I wish one of you 3D rendering hotshots would do a reclad of the CIBC building...

As long as you are open to seeing all of Old Town covered in crushed glass stucco.

#1754 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 04 February 2019 - 12:51 PM

The plaza is awful. I am not sure if those rust-coloured hoarding-like things are actually part of the building (if they are they should be removed), but the actual exposed concrete building itself is quite a remarkable example of the strong character that flavours much of the better Brutalist architecture. So yes, I like and respect it for what it is.

#1755 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 04 February 2019 - 02:11 PM

The plaza is awful. I am not sure if those rust-coloured hoarding-like things are actually part of the building (if they are they should be removed), but the actual exposed concrete building itself is quite a remarkable example of the strong character that flavours much of the better Brutalist architecture. So yes, I like and respect it for what it is.

Boston City Hall is mostly fine (that "red hoarding" is actually brick, and appears to be a poor attempt at using a historic material in a modern expression) but the plaza is an atrocity. Luckily, it will be renovated and redesigned. The red brick, however, is staying as far as I know.

• Nparker likes this

#1756 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 04 February 2019 - 02:28 PM

Did those cell antennas need a variance? Because I find them much more of an eyesore than any sign. I'm pretty sure that building was designed from the start to feature a logo sign at the top so adding a second one seems like no big deal to me. It can't really set any precedent because there are very few towers downtown that can accept a big sign anyway. It gives the skyline character.

#1757 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 04 February 2019 - 02:42 PM

Did those cell antennas need a variance? Because I find them much more of an eyesore than any sign.

I'm pretty sure those would be designated as "infrastructure" and thus they should be invisible to anyone who isn't wearing a pair of "They Live" eyeglasses.

#1758 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 04 February 2019 - 03:27 PM

^I remember the Federal building on Government needed a variance to put up a big antenna. At the time I was like, if they need an antenna who am I to say no?

#1759 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 05 February 2019 - 03:42 PM

A 22-unit strata townhouse development is proposed for the 200 block of Wilson Street in Vic West...

#1760 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 05 February 2019 - 03:52 PM

That's the Castle property, no?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users