[Oak Bay] Oak Bay Beach Hotel | 8-storeys | Built - completed in 2013

• Please log in to reply
586 replies to this topic

#541 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 02:21 PM

I'm sure they all knew what they were getting into, but people see roads to riches with these schemes and fall victim to a "bond sale" instead of an actual real-estate purchase. So what did they think? That they would invest $490k and a year later sell their stake for $550k?

Ya I think we saw in the disclosure documents for the bonds that there was a warning that there was a possibility of complete default.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#542 LocalMom

LocalMom
  • 470 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 07 April 2015 - 03:48 PM

Sooo - I should use up my gift card sooner rather than later?

#543 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,487 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 03:51 PM

It's a confidence game... The mark should always have known better.... This is the trick with grifting, The mark needs to be greedy....

confidence trick (synonyms include confidence schemescam and stratagem) is an attempt to defraud a person or group after first gaining their confidence, used in the classical sense of trust. Confidence tricks exploit characteristics of the human psyche such as dishonestyhonesty,vanitycompassioncredulityirresponsibilitynaïveté and greed.

#544 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 04:02 PM

It's a confidence game... The mark should always have known better.... This is the trick with grifting, The mark needs to be greedy....

As the old saying goes, "You can't cheat an honest man".

• dasmo likes this

#545 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 04:51 PM

Sooo - I should use up my gift card sooner rather than later?

The bankruptcy monitor's statements say that they are honouring gift cards

#546 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 05:00 PM

A mark that puts up a half million dollars - one third of his retirement fund - ought to be more careful.  

Steven Spielberg losing $5M with Bernie Madoff, that's such  a tiny fraction of his worth, probably worth the gamble.

• Rob Randall likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#547 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 09:38 AM

dasmo, I don't think this was a scam. It was a terrible investment opportunity some jumped on, as they always seem to do, but I don't think there was any scam involved. I don't think investors were misled, intentionally or not, either.

The bonds were high yield, which should signal to even an unsophisticated investor that there was considerable risk involved.

I also don't think the Walkers made out with a ton of cash or anything. Quite the opposite, from what I've read.

#548 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,483 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 10:13 AM

Everyone's a victim when an investment flops, right? "I was mislead." "I was scammed." "I had no idea of the risks." "It was such a sure thing." "OMG, I sunk my entire life savings into an investment I read about in this nice brochure."

But it all starts with "Honey, I think we can make some serious $$$ here, check this out!!!!111!!!!1!!!!"

• Nparker likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#549 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 10:25 AM

Everyone's a victim when an investment flops, right? "I was mislead." "I was scammed." "I had no idea of the risks." "It was such a sure thing." "OMG, I sunk my entire life savings into an investment I read about in this nice brochure."

But it all starts with "Honey, I think we can make some serious $$$ here, check this out!!!!111!!!!1!!!!"

Yeah, people see those double digit interest rates on the coupon payments and do the math. $500,000 principal times 10% per year interest...wow, that's an easy 50 grand per year!

Problem is, those investment were speculative at best.

It's easy, and yeah, you probably will get some coupon payments in the mail, but it's also real easy for that principal to go to $0.

The OBBH's credit rating was most certainly in the B level at best. http://en.wikipedia....d_credit_rating There's a reason they call B level and below bonds "non investment grade".

#550 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 10:30 AM

If it seems too good to be true, it probably is.

• jonny likes this

#551 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 11:10 AM

It's too bad the Walkers got caught up in the recession--if the project hadn't been bogged down in the approval process they might have sold much of it before the bottom fell out of the market. And who knows, sometimes people love a project and it sells out, sometimes they hate it. This project for whatever reason didn't capture the public's imagination the way they thought. In an alternate universe, this project avoided the recession, it sold well, the hotel was comfortably booked and the investors made a nice profit. It's a roll of the dice.

But I'll say exactly what I said in the League thread--this was a risky, complex investment--beginners beware. And like VHF says--for God's sakes spend a couple hundred bucks on a lawyer first and don't put your retirement in something like this.

• jonny likes this

#552 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 11:20 AM

It's too bad the Walkers got caught up in the recession--if the project hadn't been bogged down in the approval process they might have sold much of it before the bottom fell out of the market. And who knows, sometimes people love a project and it sells out, sometimes they hate it. This project for whatever reason didn't capture the public's imagination the way they thought. 

Maybe that's what the mistake was.  They really, really, really underestimated the demand for "hotel suite" living.  Most people do not want to live in a hotel, and there are no shortage of projects like this that failed.  ie. Parkside, right here in town.

• johnk likes this

#553 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,142 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 11:49 AM

^ The "Q" however booked up very quickly. It however is a rental.

#554 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,483 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 11:56 AM

Maybe that's what the mistake was.  They really, really, really underestimated the demand for "hotel suite" living.  Most people do not want to live in a hotel, and there are no shortage of projects like this that failed.  ie. Parkside, right here in town.

That's a quarter share, not a residence like the OBBH hotel is.

I'm sure the OBBH proponents thought that they could make out like The Pier (in Sidney) and Brentwood Lodge/Hotel (in Brentwood Bay) did and how quite a few upscale hotel/residential projects have fared in Vancouver (Shangri-La, Fairmont Residences, Trump [under construction], etc.).

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#555 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 12:10 PM

Don't you think that share-scheme was not the Walkers' preferred choice? I mean that they would have rather built a regular hotel but the bank said, hey, we're in a recession now and we need to see more upfront money from sales, not future hotel revenue.

#556 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,487 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 12:18 PM

Certainly this falls under Caveat emptor. Still The books should be opened up to those investors now. Where did the bond money go if not to pay for cunstruction? Perhaps it is like league where there are hundreds of numbered companies that received payments and very steep management fees?

#557 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 01:38 PM

That's a quarter share, not a residence like the OBBH hotel is.

I'm sure the OBBH proponents thought that they could make out like The Pier (in Sidney) and Brentwood Lodge/Hotel (in Brentwood Bay) did and how quite a few upscale hotel/residential projects have fared in Vancouver (Shangri-La, Fairmont Residences, Trump [under construction], etc.).

There were 4 things for sale here.

Full ownership, live there all the time condos.  20?

Hotel suites that you could occupy a portion of the year, get portions of the rental on the rest of the time.  100?

Then two levels of vacation packages that you paid up front for, then had rights for certain free stays and amenities forward.

The last report from the receiver last it our pretty good what all was on offer, and who bought each.  And it shows that Bison loaned itself all the proceeds from the two sets of vacation packages to fund day-to-day and marketing operations.

#558 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 01:41 PM

Still The books should be opened up to those investors now.

I'm not sure if that's usual process, but I agree. Maybe they can just see them, complete with a non-disclosure promise?
  • dasmo likes this

#559 johnk

johnk
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 02:33 PM

Below investment-grade bonds aka junk bonds.
The questions remain, what happened to the money? How did things get to $113 million from $52 million?
Not exactly a minor cost overrun.
The bond holders aren't the only ones getting stiffed, how about the trades? Something does not smell right, IMO.

#560 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 04:26 PM

Certainly this falls under Caveat emptor. Still The books should be opened up to those investors now. Where did the bond money go if not to pay for cunstruction? Perhaps it is like league where there are hundreds of numbered companies that received payments and very steep management fees?

It really sounds like this was a matter of overbuilding for the market. The project was more expensive than anticipated and the sales did not materialize at the price point expected. There was never any evidence at League that anyone lined their pockets and I doubt that it exists here either. If you overspend and then fail to sell then interest, sales and marketing and professional costs start to eat up money really quickly.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users