Sam's Deli & Bistro and Dog-Gone-It | Victoria | 801 & 805 Government Street

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#1 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 21 June 2008 - 07:48 PM

The signs on the windows say open in June but it's not open yet. I doubt they have much farther to go though:

Rogers' Chocolates is using a refurbished, turn-of-the-century soda fountain as the centrepiece of its new store scheduled to open June 1 in downtown Victoria.

Rogers' Chocolates Soda Shoppe will pour cold drinks and make floats from the fountain and incorporate its famous chocolate lines into ice creams, malts and milk shakes in a $250,000 redevelopment of the former Sydney Reynolds china store in the Belmont Block at Humboldt and Government streets.

Kate Phoenix, vice-president of marketing and sales at Rogers', said the 1890s fountain purchased in Chicago for $25,000 will stir nostalgia for Victorians and be a welcome sight for tourists as they funnel out of the Inner Harbour and up the Government Street strip.

The last such dispenser disappeared from the city in 1962 with the closing of Terry's Drug Store, a popular meeting place where the TD Bank now sits at Douglas and Fort streets.

Rogers' already operates its historic chocolates store on Government Street and owns Sam's Deli, two doors down from its new soda store.

http://www.canada.co...49-e9ea7247411f

#2 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 21 June 2008 - 08:59 PM

I think they are real close, I talked to a contractor on the job last week.

#3 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 21 June 2008 - 11:11 PM

Awesome!

#4 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 03 July 2008 - 02:04 PM

I went today & the sundae I got was about as good as a sundae could be even though I can't really say I'm a connoisseur. The girl at the counter said they make everything in-house, which for me is the bottom line if they're going to call it Rogers. I would have walked out at that point if she told me they didn't. So they make their own ice creams at their shop on Commerce Circle, Rogers own caramel sauce, the chocolate sauce is made with Rogers chocolate, etc etc. There are no 20L Costco buckets there! But since it's Rogers expect to pay ~$7-8 for a sundae, $4-6 for a cone, $4(?) for a fizzie (a pop with whipped cream on top), and a float is ~$6.

edit: the address is 801 Government, not 913, so could someone fix that

#5 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 03 July 2008 - 02:34 PM

Mrs. Mia Wallace: A five dollar shake.
Buddy Holly: How do you want that shake: Martin and Lewis or Amos and Andy?
Mrs. Mia Wallace: Martin and Lewis.
Vincent Vega: Did you just order a five dollar shake?
Mrs. Mia Wallace: Ummhh.
Vincent Vega: That's a shake . . . that's milk and ice cream.
Mrs. Mia Wallace: Last I heard.
Vincent Vega: That's five dollars? You don't put bourbon in it or nothin'?
Buddy Holly: No.
Vincent Vega: Just checking.
Vincent Vega: That's a pretty ****ing good milkshake. I don't know if it's worth five dollars but it's pretty ****ing good.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#6 Zimquats

Zimquats
  • 299 posts

Posted 03 July 2008 - 03:11 PM

Daniel Day-Lewis: If I have a milkshake and you have a milkshake and I have a straw and my straw reaches ACCCRROSSS the room and starts to drink your milkshake...I drink your milkshake! I DRINK IT UP!!

#7 NiCoBeAN

NiCoBeAN
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 11:24 PM

Saw some coverage on A Channel and had to go check it out.
They look like they have dumped a lot of money into that store, a huge chance from what is was before.
Since I went all the way down there I had to treat myself to a Banana Split....Wow, the price seemed a little high but half way through I felt was worth it!

#8 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 11:41 PM

Saw some coverage on A Channel and had to go check it out.
They look like they have dumped a lot of money into that store, a huge chance from what is was before.
Since I went all the way down there I had to treat myself to a Banana Split....Wow, the price seemed a little high but half way through I felt was worth it!

It's a trap!!!

#9 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 07:56 AM

The chocolate milkshake I had was pricey 6.50, but was easily the best I have ever had.

#10 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,682 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 10:40 AM

The chocolate milkshake I had was pricey 6.50, but was easily the best I have ever had.

And for $6.50 it bloody well should be the best!

#11 Number Six

Number Six
  • 261 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 05:40 PM

The "Victoria Cream" ice-cream is fantastic ... chunks of Victoria creams in vanilla ice-cream.

#12 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 06:27 PM

Picture by Hillwalker-ca at www.flickr.com
http://www.flickr.co...ker/2759167222/

#13 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 08:19 PM

I was there on the weekend.

It was good but nothing special.
Most of the money for my parfait was going towards the flat screen TV's displaying the menu, the marble countertops, and the rent, I'm sure.

#14 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 08:40 PM

Went there again and had a great milkshake. Still the best I have had ever.

#15 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 11:02 AM

I'm not impressed with the decor. It looks like a mall store.

#16 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 09:55 PM

What's with this trend of using flat screen TV's to show a menu? Seems wasteful.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."

#17 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 09:59 PM

If the menu changes seasonally it probably cuts down on waste tbh. I've seen how much printing happens every time a menu changes... not to mention how quickly they get dog eared.

#18 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 10:02 PM

Jeez, how much does it cost to erase a chalkboard? Or change the letters on one of these:

OK, bad example, but you get my point.

#19 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 10:12 PM

touché

#20 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 04:28 PM

I agree the decor sucks. Such a disaster when you consider how much all of those high end finishings ended up costing them.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users