• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#21 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 11:46 AM

Oh, no:

..."hey look, they are serving that factory plastic bucket picnic ice cream by Island Farms." I thought my associate was playing a cruel joke on me, but Sure enough, they were serving up Island Farms, yet at the same price as when they served us the real homemade stuff back in the winter.

I've never left an ice cream parlour feeling more dissatisfied and ripped off in my life. We would have been better served to walk up to 7-11 and get a Hagen Das bar, which would have been way higher quality ice cream at half the price, and without the confusing service rules.

http://your-restaura...ait-switch.html
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#22 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 03:06 PM

For shame.

#23 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 07:47 PM

Confusing service rules?
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#24 vandervalk

vandervalk
  • 263 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 10:42 PM

Interesting. Having lived out in Sooke for the last 3 years and working for myself, I hadn't been there for some time. I remembered reading about this place for the first time on VV and I tried it out. The chocolate milkshake I had back then was amazing.

Fast forward 1.5 years and my parents are up from Ontario. We did a late afternoon stroll through the inner harbour and I raved about getting a milkshake from this place. It was the record setting Monday afternoon of this week.

I didn't pay any attention to the outside of the building as it remained the same and certainly the interior, from what I remembered, was what I could recall.

But the service was crap. My order was taken immediately but I watched three girls behind the counter do more talking about their personal life then put any care or love into the product they were serving. The guy in front of my brought back some apple dessert product which he claimed wasn't what he had ordered and the girl pretty much rolled her eyes at him, sighed and blamed the other girl working with her, to which must have been an inside joke because the rest of the crew thought it was funny.

There was no customer service and I felt like something was up, but couldn't quite place it.

When I finally received my shake, I took a sip and while it was good, it wasn't as good as I had recalled. I just chalked that up as my taste buds changing or just an off day.

Interesting. I won't be back.
Real Estate, Landscape and Family Photographer
http://www.vandervalk.ca

#25 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,235 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 01:05 PM

Here is the post I made in one of the other topic areas:

You know what, I went for my once a summer chocolate malt at the Soda Shoppe that used to be owned by Rogers Chocolate. I guess the malt was okay though expensive. But even though there were about six staff working and few customers in the store, the place was a pig sty. There were crumbs and crap lying all over the place, and the lovely tile floor obviously hadn't been washed in at least several days. I won't be back.

#26 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 03:10 PM

Too bad that Roger's sold but not surprised. Also selling Island farms at a premium price is a bit ridiculous.

That said I highly doubt that Haagen daz or really any other big brand ice cream is "better" quality than Island farms.

Have any of you ever been to Thrifty's? They sell some pretty amazing flavours of island farms ice cream and many of them kick the crap out of anything you are going to buy anywhere on Govt Street.

#27 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 06:41 PM

It sounded like they were selling the cheap Island Farms stuff.

the expensive stuff is Island Farms' Country Cream. It usually sells for around $8 for the small bucket but sometimes it will go for $5 although it doesn't come in a huge variety of flavours like the cheap commercial stuff does. My favourite is the Caramel Explosion.

source

If you're paying premium prices at least give us the premium product. Or for god's sake, at least give us some stellar customer service. Why wouldn't I go to Dairy Queen and get the same thing for $3 if I still have to put up with a surly teenager?
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#28 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 07:01 PM

Too bad that Roger's sold but not surprised. Also selling Island farms at a premium price is a bit ridiculous.

That said I highly doubt that Haagen daz or really any other big brand ice cream is "better" quality than Island farms.

Have any of you ever been to Thrifty's? They sell some pretty amazing flavours of island farms ice cream and many of them kick the crap out of anything you are going to buy anywhere on Govt Street.

Sorry friend but saying that Island Farms ice cream tastes the same as the good stuff is like comparing Hersey's chocolate to Callebaut

#29 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,035 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 07:14 PM

Assuming of course that Callebaut made good chocolate. ;)

Matt.

#30 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 09:34 PM

Sorry friend but saying that Island Farms ice cream tastes the same as the good stuff is like comparing Hersey's chocolate to Callebaut

Not sure there are some pretty amazing flavours out there.

#31 cfbnp200e

cfbnp200e
  • 78 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 04:53 PM

When did the soda shoppe turn into a hot-dog place?

#32 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 03 March 2014 - 11:13 AM

^ Not sure. They were closed for renovations a few weeks ago and eventually I noticed the name change.

Lake Side Buoy - LEGO Nut - History Nerd - James Bay resident

#33 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 11:42 AM

What's the name now?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#34 Ben

Ben
  • 19 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 12:41 PM

What's the name now?

Dog Gone It

• Mike K. likes this

#35 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 01:20 PM

Was there Saturday. Think it is called "Dog-Gone-It" or something like that. The ice-cream place is still in the back, entry on side street.

• Mike K. likes this

#36 LJ

LJ
  • 12,741 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 07:27 PM

Dog Gone It

Welcome to VV Ben.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#37 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 10:09 PM

Wow that is a bad name...

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#38 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 26 October 2015 - 09:31 AM

I popped in here again over the weekend. Excellent value for what are very tasty hot dogs. It's hard to believe they are virtually all priced from $4-$6. I'll say this place is one of the best kept secrets in town given how few people realize it's there and the prices they charge.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#39 Szeven

Szeven
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 26 October 2015 - 10:08 AM

I wonder how this place will do now that hot dogs are the new cigarettes.

#40 Jill

Jill
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 26 October 2015 - 11:29 AM

Butt cancer at a reasonable price!

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users