Victoria's ghosts

• Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

#61 Rorschach

Rorschach

Truth is my bitch!

• 758 posts

Posted 10 July 2008 - 11:40 AM

In the movie, "A Beautiful Mind" the filmmakers depict quite vividly how the mind can create very realistic perceptions. This is true of sight, sound and smell. There is also something called confabulation which occurs with everyone - mentally ill or not.

The brain will always try and put order to the sum total of the input. Not everyone will have vivid hallucinations affecting multiple senses the way some people with mental illness do, but will confabulate all kinds of things which you consciously believe are absolutely real.

There are no ghosts or overlaps of dimensions or any of that. The people aren't putting on the convention for free are they? No more than Al Gore is showing his movie for free or giving away DVDs to save the world.

#62 KublaKhan

KublaKhan
  • 283 posts

Posted 10 July 2008 - 12:21 PM

In the movie, "A Beautiful Mind" the filmmakers depict quite vividly how the mind can create very realistic perceptions. This is true of sight, sound and smell. There is also something called confabulation which occurs with everyone - mentally ill or not.

Interesting that you lean on movie references as source material.

That aside...

There are no ghosts or overlaps of dimensions or any of that.

You should pick up Madeleine L'Engle's book, 'A Wrinkle in Time.' Yes...it's speculative fantasy for an adolescent reader...but I suspect it might be appropriate to your interests.

Until such time (wrinkled or otherwise) a scientific consensus on matters of Multiple Dimension Theory viz a viz the space time continuum, etc. is reached, I shall remain open to all possible outcomes. This includes, but is not limited to, the prospects of ghosts, UFO's, Nessie, Big Foot, Shrub's intelligence, Big Dick's heart arrhythmia viz a viz the price of crude, etc.

In other words, it ain't over until the fat lady sings, and at that point, it won't matter what you, me or a pod of whales believe. God (or whatever) will provide the necessary details.

#63 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 10 July 2008 - 12:22 PM

There are no ghosts or overlaps of dimensions or any of that.

I reject your perception of reality and substitute my own.

There.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#64 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 10 July 2008 - 03:03 PM

I'm terrified to be arguing on the same side as Rorschach, I'll have to buy some magic crystals to get rid of the negative energy spirits I've collected from this situation.

#65 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 10 July 2008 - 03:07 PM

I'm terrified to be arguing on the same side as Rorschach. I'll have to buy some magic crystals to get rid of the negative energy spirits I've collected from this situation.

The Law of Conservation of Energy states that energy can neither be created nor destroyed, it can only be changed from one form to another. So at best you'll change it to positive energy, but you won't be rid of it.;)

#66 aastra

aastra
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 10 July 2008 - 04:46 PM

Ball lightning might just be the best example of a phenomenon that is only just now making the transition from paranormal to poorly understood normality. It's surely been responsible for a lot of ghost reports:

http://www.abc.net.a...ies/s520317.htm

http://en.wikipedia..../Ball_lightning

#67 aastra

aastra
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 10 July 2008 - 04:49 PM

Until such time (wrinkled or otherwise) a scientific consensus on matters of Multiple Dimension Theory viz a viz the space time continuum, etc. is reached, I shall remain open to all possible outcomes.

Silly guy. It's much simpler if you just impose your personal preferences upon the universe.

#68 KublaKhan

KublaKhan
  • 283 posts

Posted 10 July 2008 - 06:12 PM

I'm terrified to be arguing on the same side as Rorschach, I'll have to buy some magic crystals to get rid of the negative energy spirits I've collected from this situation.

I believe these may be found in abundant supply on Yates and Douglas.

#69 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 10 July 2008 - 07:37 PM

I believe these may be found in abundant supply on Yates and Douglas.

Or Topaz Park:

CFAX:

DRUG SUSPECT COLLARED IN TOPAZ PARK

Jul 10, 2008

VICTORIA POLICE HAVE ARRESTED A MAN SUSPECTED OF DEALING DRUGS IN TOPAZ PARK...IN BROAD DAYLIGHT, WITHOUT MAKING MUCH EFFORT TO HIDE HIS ACTIVITIES.

POLICE SAY THEY GOT A COMPLAINT ABOUT OPEN DRUG USE IN THE PARK, WHILE A YOUTH BALL GAME WAS IN PROGRESS AT ABOUT 630 IN THE EVENING.

THEY FOUND FOUR PEOPLE SITTING NEAR THE PUBLIC WASHROOMS, WITH A DIGITAL SCALE AND A QUANTITY OF CRYSTAL METH

#70 Rorschach

Rorschach

Truth is my bitch!

• 758 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 06:08 AM

Interesting that you lean on movie references as source material.

It's just a good way to quickly and simply explain something visual in this limited text format. Interesting that you get confused repeatedly when I use clear and unambiguous examples to make a point. Or do you get it and are just clowning that you don't? I imagine that this is the usual octopus ink you expel from time to time. Do you get that reference? The octopus ink as it relates to your comments when your comments don't relate to the topic or are personal attacks?

It is difficult it is to evoke imagery and expect readers to associate one thing with another? I'm sure it's me. Movies seem like a common experience I can use as a reference. Why re-invent the wheel?

#71 Rorschach

Rorschach

Truth is my bitch!

• 758 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 06:11 AM

I reject your perception of reality and substitute my own.

There.

Will KublaKhan ridicule you for referencing Mythbusters?

#72 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 07:30 AM

Will Rorschach and KK join me for a beer? You two need to talk through your differences. (Plus it would be thoroughly entertaining.)

#73 Rorschach

Rorschach

Truth is my bitch!

• 758 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 08:17 AM

No worries. It's just a normal conversation and I don't take anything personally. A-holes like me can't be cured, but people that dish it out will sometimes get the plate thrown back. There's a difference between insensitivity for the sake of making a point bluntly and cruelty, hurtfulness and ridicule. Fortunately, ridicule and hurtfulness aren't very persuasive when trying to make a point.

#74 KublaKhan

KublaKhan
  • 283 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 09:05 AM

No worries. It's just a normal conversation and I don't take anything personally. A-holes like me can't be cured, but people that dish it out will sometimes get the plate thrown back. There's a difference between insensitivity for the sake of making a point bluntly and cruelty, hurtfulness and ridicule. Fortunately, ridicule and hurtfulness aren't very persuasive when trying to make a point.

Ridicule is the first and last argument of fools.

So yes...I'm a fool. In the context of mythology, I'd be the fox. Or maybe the crow. Or maybe the jackass at the end of the bar making wise to conceal my personal angst.

No offense intended...and I suspect you already knew that. Just taking the piss out of you, as the saying goes.

And, like you, I count myself as an a-hole (minor). I have yet to bloom into a full asshole, but I'm working on it very, very hard. I am more frequently a general bummer...and I'll stop with that reference now.

What was this thread about again...? Right. Meeting you and gumgum for a beer. That's a splendid idea.

As for the movie references, I agree...a fast and easy way to blah blah blah. If we were living in better times, we might trade literary references, and we'd feel educated and well-read instead of simply simple. Or 'entertained.'

I still believe in ghosts, and the miracle of the safety blitz. But not in that order.

#75 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 09:13 AM

ROFL!! Are you imagining somehow Rorscharch that you understand the difference between cruelty, hurtfulness and ridicule in contrast to simple insensitivity for the greater cause of making a point? If so, allow me to be the one to break it to you that you are by far the worst offender in the first category on these boards. Right now, you have the honour of being our resident king of vicious personal attacks on people's motives, along with the name calling and blanket stereotyping. Grats!

#76 aastra

aastra
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 11:47 AM

I think this thread is a test to see how we'll all do together when the local construction scene really dries up.

#77 Rorschach

Rorschach

Truth is my bitch!

• 758 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 04:59 PM

...we might trade literary references, and we'd feel educated and well-read instead of simply simple.

Come on now you did make an obscure Seinfeld reference -- which I got! Give me a little credit. I have trouble communicating with everyone. My concepts don't click with everyone but fortunately the ones that don't get it are not the intended recipients anyway.

Every story needs a protagonist and an antagonist. Without my antagonism there would be a lot less to discuss. I'm always telling a story. But I'll try to temper my "Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra" tendencies. How's that for an obscure reference?

#78 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 07:02 PM

But I'll try to temper my "Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra" tendencies. How's that for an obscure reference?

Star Trek: The Next Generation. Season 5. Episode: "Darmok". Where Picard and company were trying to communicate with a species that only speaks in metaphors.

#79 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 07:03 PM

When the walls fell....

edit

damn nparker beat me to the nerd-punch

#80 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 09:26 PM

Wow that is scarier than ghosts.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users