Stan Sipos | Victoria | Ex-Mayoral Candidate

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 01 July 2008 - 01:21 PM

Sorry mods, I do not know how to generate the straight up line character we are supposed to use in the title.

Developer enters Victoria mayoral race
Times Colonist
Published: Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Victoria developer Stan Sipos is running for mayor of Victoria.

Sipos announced his candidacy at 1 p.m. today, in a news release with the headline "We Want our City Back."

The well-known developer and former world champion race car driver said he'll talk with voters over the summer, and finalize his platform for release in September.

The announcement significantly heats up the Victoria mayors race. Councillor Dean Fortin is running for mayor, as is 19-year-old student Simon Nattrass. Current Mayor Alan Lowe has chosen not to seek re-election.

Sipos has several developments in the region, including Fioro condominiums on Oak Bay Avenue and the Vogue lofts downtown.

Sipos' press release includes quotes of support from heritage developer Chris LeFevre, as well as former Victoria Hillside MLA Sheila Orr, who was herself rumoured to be a potential candidate for mayor.

#2 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,015 posts

Posted 01 July 2008 - 04:39 PM

I have no problem with a non-resident mayor, esp. if he is a business-type. I'm not sure Sipos is the dream candidate the business community has been hoping for though. But unless a significantly better one comes along, we don't want to risk splitting the vote.

Sipos will be able to raise considerable cash, and/or use his own.

You obviously don't know Stan Sipos. I counted 11 lawsuits including 3 foreclosures on the BC Courts website and that are just the claims against him personally!

#3 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,567 posts

Posted 01 July 2008 - 04:42 PM

I have a big issue with a mayoral candidate never having been a councillor. Anyone who hasn't spent time in local politics will be in for a shock when they realize a substantial portion of their day is taken up by civic duties.

Being a mayor is not just a title. It's a three year commitment to tax payers. Can a fresh candidate take the heat, or even have the ability to commit a significant portion of their time to their civic duties?

Sorry mods, I do not know how to generate the straight up line character we are supposed to use in the title.

It's displayed when you hold the "SHIFT" + "\" (backward slash) keys (on some keyboards it appears above the "\" as a broken vertical line, while on others it's a solid vertical line).

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4 concorde

concorde
  • Banned
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 01 July 2008 - 07:16 PM

I can already see the puppett wires above Stan's head.

Sigh, what happened to the days of Peter Pollen.

#5 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 01 July 2008 - 07:46 PM

It's displayed when you hold the "SHIFT" + "\" (backward slash) keys (on some keyboards it appears above the "\" as a broken vertical line, while on others it's a solid vertical line).

Bah, I'm an idiot.

#6 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,015 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 05:04 AM

If Sipos is the person to do it, he can live in Siberia for all I care. Lets give him some time to consider his platform and publicise it.

He is not the person to do it.

One of many reasons ...

In November of 1999, Sipos' company Command Developments Ltd. pleaded guilty and was fined $25,000 for illegally removing contaminated soil from the construction site, and hauling it to an area zoned for agriculture behind Victoria General Hospital

#7 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 02 July 2008 - 06:04 AM

He is not the person to do it.

One of many reasons ...

In November of 1999, Sipos' company Command Developments Ltd. pleaded guilty and was fined $25,000 for illegally removing contaminated soil from the construction site, and hauling it to an area zoned for agriculture behind Victoria General Hospital

Did they actually catch him personally driving the dump truck????

Give me a break, thats a lame statement. So everyone that is involved in politics has to be a virgin in your eyes? One of my employees got a speeding ticket last week. Does that put me out of the mayoral race?

Its crap like this that turns people off. They have to dig into their past and come up with any reason and claim they arent qualified.

#8 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,015 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 08:02 AM

Give me a break, thats a lame statement. So everyone that is involved in politics has to be a virgin in your eyes? One of my employees got a speeding ticket last week. Does that put me out of the mayoral race?

Its crap like this that turns people off. They have to dig into their past and come up with any reason and claim they arent qualified. Sounds like

I quoted from the TC so blame them if you don't like it. Having said that, I think that trying to offload contaminated soil onto agriculture land is a little more significant than a speeding ticket.

#9 yodsaker

yodsaker
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 08:45 AM

Its crap like this that turns people off. They have to dig into their past and come up with any reason and claim they arent qualified.

He didn't have to be the guy at the wheel.
It was his company and he has to take responsibility.
"The buck stops here" (Harry Truman), remember?
It doesn't disqualify him but it is a flag that he may be "ethically challenged". As said before, his business concerns/priorities may not be very congruent with residents' concerns.

#10 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,806 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 09:17 AM

^ Where is there a farm by Vic General?

#11 Joseph

Joseph
  • 80 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 10:05 AM

Aa more important issue than the location of any candidate should be their interest and involvement in a community. Stan Sipos' involvement, by all accounts, seems to be pretty much limited to development. There were enough sticky situations with potential conflicts of interest having Lowe an architect and mayor simultaneously. Having developers in office cuts, in my mind, a slippery slope.

#12 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,015 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 10:18 AM

This is only my jaded opinion of course but whenever I hear "business candidate" in Victoria it seems to me that "business" generally refers to a few of the "old guard" in town who have agendas of their own that they are trying to fulfill.

#13 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 05:12 PM

I moved the discussion about candidates who are running in a municipality other than where they reside over to this thread http://www.vibrantvi...read.php?t=2927
Please use the new thread to discuss who can run and vote where.

#14 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 07:46 PM

According to Victoria2020, Sipos will officially kick off his campaign on Sept.16. From that blog:

On Tuesday September 16th Mayoral candidate Stan Sipos will officially be kicking off his campaign. Be sure to stop by his campaign office at 957 Fort street at around 6:00pm if you wish to attend.

When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#15 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 14 September 2008 - 10:59 PM

Sources tell me Stan has cancelled his run for Mayor due to poor polling results.

#16 yodsaker

yodsaker
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 07:07 AM

I guess too many checked the "Stan Who?" box.

#17 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 07:19 AM

So does that mean fortin is running more or less unopposed by any serious contenders?
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#18 Barra

Barra
  • 592 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 03:25 PM

Sources tell me Stan has cancelled his run for Mayor due to poor polling results.

I heard that as well. He may also have realized that the job will be taking him away from home a lot - a challenge for a recent single parent of young teens....
Pieta VanDyke

#19 victorian fan

victorian fan
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 06:07 PM

He may also have realized that the job will be taking him away from home a lot - a challenge for a recent single parent of young teens....

Confirmed by Sipos himself on the evening news.

#20 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 06:49 AM

Sipos drops bid for Victoria mayor's seat

Cites family reasons; Frontrunners owner Rob Reid expected to join race today

Bill Cleverley, Times Colonist
Published: Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Victoria businessman and developer Stan Sipos has backed out of the Victoria mayoralty race, citing family reasons.

But the gap on the ballot probably won't last long as Frontrunners owner Rob Reid is expected to announce today he will be in the running to replace retiring Mayor Alan Lowe.

"I was committed and charging forward, but emerging issues with family in the last week really made me think about what was required and the time commitment," Sipos said. "I felt I needed to focus on my family."

http://www.canada.co...fc-43bcd9760c63

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users