Amalgamation

• Please log in to reply
114 replies to this topic

#41 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 10:32 AM

Perhaps Ms Heiman should run for Mayor. With articles like that I would vote for her.

#42 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 11:25 AM

As would I. I've already stated I will likely support any candidates willing to bring up the matter of amalgamation.

#43 mat

mat
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 09:41 PM

I am in agreement with amalgamation, but wonder about the process to achieve a representative local government. Some questions need to be considered...

1: Which municipalities do VV posters consider to be relevant? Is it just Victoria and Esquimalt, or do people feel a wider proposition be considered (like all current CRD members)? My own feeling is, for consistency, fiscal control, and common interest Victoria, Oak Bay, View Royal, Saanich and Sydney should come together.

2: Would this require a referendum? Do all municipalities either require, or have an option for this?

3: What would be the name of the new municipality?

There are far more questions such as voting rights, make-up of council, accountability... especially accountability!

Look forward to some input and opinions

#44 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 10:30 PM

3 new municipal configurations:
  • The Core
    - Victoria
    - Oak Bay
    - Esquimalt
    - View Royal (east of "Colwood" overpass on TC Hwy)
    - Saanich (south of Sayward @ Hwy 17)
  • West Shore
    - the rest of View Royal
    - Colwood
    - Metchosin
    - Langford
    - Highlands
    - Sooke
  • S'Nor aka Saanich North
    - the rest of Saanich
    - Central Saanich
    - North Saanich
    - Sidney

#45 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 06:34 AM

Sounds good nparker, when can you finish?

#46 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 10:08 AM

Finish????

#47 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 04:44 PM

Finish enacting your amalgamation plan of course! Get on it!

#48 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 05:39 PM

I need a wee bit of support. Perhaps one of the moderators can create an amalgamation poll (using my proposed new municipalities), to test the waters.

#49 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 10:22 AM

You want a yes/no poll? yes/no/yes but with a few changes? Tell me, I will make it so!

#50 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 10:58 AM

Yes/No sounds good to me Caramia. :) I am sure people will add their own comments as well. Could you include my proposed municipalities (as per previous post) in the poll? Thank you!

#51 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 03:27 PM

Carolyn Heiman follows up today:

Baby mergers might work among region's fiefdoms
Carolyn Heiman, Times Colonist

Published: Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Similar to what we've been talking about for ages here.

I loved this bit, nice touch of wry humour:

Two people, who have moved from other parts of Canada, asked for a Capital Regional muni 101 course, hoping to make sense of it all in less than 250 words. This is not possible.

"This is not possible." Indeed. You need a university level semester-long survey course to cover that question... Sadly.
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#52 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 05:53 PM

Clearly Carolyn has been reading my suggestions for a new 3-municipality structure for the capital region.:D

#53 Concerned Citizens

Concerned Citizens
  • 56 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 04:43 PM

CCC

When I stood as an independent candidate for Victoria City Council in 1999 I advocated for amalgamation in 'La Rosa' No. 33, my occasional print publication, which served as my election campaign material.

I still stand by these quotes, which were the first item mentioned in my platform, on page 2:

"I am a native son of Victoria with a sincere interest in serving my fellow citizens as a councillor in the City. Convinced that many of our present unresolved problems are due to the ridiculous balkanization of the metropolitan area into a baker's dozen little fiefdoms often working against the best interest of the whole, I am a strong proponent of amalgamation.

AMALGAMATION

"Amalgamation must only be brought about, however, provided that the enabling legislation ensures that democracy is enhanced in the districts, and that taxes are either frozen or brought down as a result. Otherwise there really isn't much point to it."

Gregory Hartnell, President
Concerned Citizens' Coalition

CCC

#54 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 05:16 PM

Is there a jurisdiction in the world that has successfully and sustainably been able to reduce the amount of tax it requires?
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#55 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 02 August 2008 - 07:38 AM

Dream on Victoria, says Saanich

By Roszan Holmen - Victoria News

#56 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 02 August 2008 - 09:49 AM

The arrogance of the above article is astounding. To suggest that Victoria is not currently dealing with issues as a direct result of Saanich residents in their jusridiction is outrageous. If I could, I'd insist that Saanich residents should not be allowed to use any of the services or ammenities of the City of Victoria without paying a special user's fee. If they won't come on board with even the most basic and logical of amalgamated services, then I say "stick it to them". The free ride is over.

#57 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 02 August 2008 - 10:01 AM

I still like the idea of billing Saanich whenever we catch one of their residents breaking the law in Victoria. That would properly distribute the burden.

#58 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 02 August 2008 - 12:20 PM

^Yeah.

Now if there was only a way of reporting how many police incidents dealt with individuals from other municipalities.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#59 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 02 August 2008 - 01:25 PM

That should be easy....simply ask for residence information at the time of arrest.

#60 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 02 August 2008 - 01:48 PM

“I think Saanich is a large municipality and I think they’re doing a very good job,” said George Blogg, president of the Portage Inlet Sanctuary Colquitz Estuary Society.

“I don’t think bigger is necessarily better.”

This boob doesn't get it. It's about making things smaller. I don't think Victoria needs more fire cheifs than New York City.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users