Photo

Running for Council in a municipality you don't live in.

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#21 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 09:36 AM

Anyways the only way that amalgamation is EVER going to happen is if there was a citizen run plebiscite on the issue. That way the province could circumvent the local politicians on some sort of grounds.

And because of the fear-mongering by local, self-serving local politicians (I mean it is THEIR jobs on the line WHEN amalgamation happens), and the powerful NIMBY forces at work in our community associations, I don't expect this to be an issue resolved unless it is forced by higher-up powers. From everything I have seen, amalgamation of the CRD is not even a blip on the radar provincially, so I don't expect to see a change in the bizarre status quo for a long time.

#22 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 09:43 AM

Could change tomorrow if someone actually asked the citizens of Greater Victoria what they wanted.

I would bet that given the sensible choice of three larger munis we would see it happen. That said I am not sure if Stan is our guy on this issue perhaps the discussion could be moved here?

http://www.vibrantvi...p?t=1263&page=6

#23 t-mitch4

t-mitch4
  • 39 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 10:17 AM

I believe Frank Carson Lived in Oak Bay when he was elected to Victoria Council, and when he ran for Mayor.

Tom

#24 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 10:31 AM

Ms B Havin wonders what Charlayne Thornton-Joe thinks of people running for public office in Victoria who dont live here?? Councillor Thornton-Joe lives in Saanich. When she ran for Victoria Council three years ago, she lived in Saanich and worked in Oak Bay at the Marina. If she's moved to Victoria, I haven't heard about it.

I know that, d'oh (as do probably most of the people posting on this forum), that's why I specifically referenced her (and Helen Hughes, who lives in OB - and who incidentally just announced that she will not seek re-election, so that "frees up" another chair at council table, fyi).

Incidently, any person who owns property in Victoria can vote in the Victoria municipal election. You can live in Metchosin or the Highlands or Sidney and vote here.

Can someone confirm that? It goes against everything I've heard from talking to people who do own property in Victoria, but who don't live here. They have told me that they cannot vote here.

As far as I know, you have to be a resident here to vote, not just a property owner.

Anyone have those facts?
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#25 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 11:04 AM

As far as I know it is not even limited to property owners but also business owners in Vic too. So if you own a restaurant in Vic (but lease the building) you can vote here.

I believe that there was a little war over these principles at one point. Something about those who pay taxes to something should get to vote for those that make decisions ;)

"no taxation without representation" or something like that...

So if someone pays taxes in CoV then you get to vote that seems fair to me. Of course we need to ensure that all those renters in Vic are kept away from the polls :)

#26 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 11:14 AM

City of Victoria website:

Resident Elector Qualifications

In order to be eligible to vote as a resident elector on Voting Day you must satisfy all of the following criteria:

* age 18 or older; and
* a Canadian citizen; and
* a resident of British Columbia for at least 6 months immediately before the day of registration; and
* a resident of the City of Victoria for at least 30 days immediately before the day of registration; and
* not disqualified by any enactment from voting in an election or otherwise disqualified by law.

Non-Resident Property Elector Qualifications

In order to be eligible to vote as a non-resident property elector on Voting Day you must satisfy all of the following criteria:

* age 18 or older; and
* a Canadian citizen; and
* a resident of British Columbia for at least 6 months immediately before the day of registration; and
* a registered owner of real property in the City of Victoria for at least 30 days immediately before the day of registration; and
* not entitled to register as a resident elector; and
* not disqualified by any enactment from voting in an election or otherwise disqualified by law; and
* the only persons who are registered owners of the real property, either as joint tenants or tenants in common, are individuals who are not holding the property in trust for a corporation or another trust; and
* if there is more than one registered owner of the property, only one of those individuals may, with the written consent of the majority of the owners, register as a non-resident property elector.

If you are not on the City's List of Electors and qualify as a non-resident property elector you must register prior to voting. Non-resident property electors must obtain a "certificate to register" prior to voting by making an application for a "certificate to register" to the Chief Election Officer or his designate at the Legislative Services office, Victoria City Hall. Application for a certificate must be made between the hours 8:00 a.m. and 4:30 p.m., Monday to Friday excluding statutory holidays.

You must prove your identity (two pieces of personal identification, one of which must have your signature) and your eligibility to register (E.g. a property title deed or current City of Victoria property tax receipt; a letter of consent from joint owners, if applicable) when applying for a certificate.

#27 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 11:26 AM

So to paraphrase the above - if you own a (leased-space) business in Vic you can't vote. You must own the real estate. You could also own a condo you rent out.

#28 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 11:39 AM

So if every condo unit was rented out we could have a voting poputlaion far in excess of our actual population. Weird.

So if you own a business you can't vote? Seems like a scam to me. I think if you pay taxes you should get to vote.

#29 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 11:44 AM

So if every condo unit was rented out we could have a voting poputlaion far in excess of our actual population. Weird.

So if you own a business you can't vote? Seems like a scam to me. I think if you pay taxes you should get to vote.

You don't pay very much municipal tax if you just own the business, really just your $100/yr or so business license. Property taxes on your building is obviously much, much more.

With the cumbersome rules for non-residents...

If you are not on the City's List of Electors and qualify as a non-resident property elector you must register prior to voting. Non-resident property electors must obtain a "certificate to register" prior to voting by making an application for a "certificate to register" to the Chief Election Officer or his designate at the Legislative Services office, Victoria City Hall. Application for a certificate must be made between the hours 8:00 a.m. and 4:30 p.m., Monday to Friday excluding statutory holidays.

You must prove your identity (two pieces of personal identification, one of which must have your signature) and your eligibility to register (E.g. a property title deed or current City of Victoria property tax receipt; a letter of consent from joint owners, if applicable) when applying for a certificate.

...I'm not sure that they get many votes that way.

#30 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 01:47 PM

With the cumbersome rules for non-residents...

...I'm not sure that they get many votes that way. [emphasis added]

No kidding!

I have another question.

The regulation that Rob Randall so helpfully quoted from states that, for non-resident voters, they must

"not [be] entitled to register as a resident elector."

That clause isn't completed with "in Victoria," nor "in [anywhere else]." So I'm wondering if it means that if you're entitled to register as a resident elector anywhere else in BC, you're disqualified?

And if it doesn't mean that, does it mean that you get to vote in multiple elections all over the province, just because you own property? How does that work, in terms of democracy and representation? Why should property ownership take precedence over residency (what G-man said about renters, too), and allow a resident of Oak Bay who owns property in several other municipalities to have multiple voting rights all over the place? Shouldn't it be enough that s/he can vote where s/he lives?

Basically, I'm asking, "does this person get two votes while average residents who only own in their municipality get just one vote?"

Or does "not [be] entitled to register as a resident elector" really mean "not registered to vote somewhere else"?

Rob? Or someone at city hall?
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#31 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 02 July 2008 - 03:08 PM

Its stickier than that. If you own a commercial property you can only register to vote if its owned in your name. If you own it under a numbered company or corporation (as probably 95% of privately held commercial buildings are), you dont have the right to vote.

So if you are Mrs Smith and you own the building that houses the Barber shop with the apartment that he rents as well, unless its in your name you cant vote. Yet the Barber who only rents the space and rents the apartment gets to vote, yet he has no roots and can leave at anytime.

You get to pay property taxes....a lot of property taxes, because you are part of the community but dont have a say. Yup makes a lot of sense.

Anybody have any idea the % of tax collected is business property compared to residential?

#32 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 03:49 PM

What if I own more than one piece of property?
You may only vote as a non-resident property elector for one piece of property in any municipality, regional district or school district.
In other words, if you own two pieces of property in one municipality, you may vote only once. If, however, you own one piece of property in one municipality and a second piece of property in another, you may vote in both jurisdictions.

http://www.municipal...ho_can_vote.htm

#33 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 03:58 PM

This is an important enough issue that it should be separated and spun off into its own thread.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#34 groundlevel

groundlevel
  • 76 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 04:30 PM

little puzzled by reference to Helen Hughes living in Oak Bay -- did she move from#619 - 50 Songhees Road in Vic West to behind the Tweed Curtain recently? Ted getting on her nerves?

Wonderful news about her decision not to run again - the narcolepsy was getting downright spooky.

#35 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 04:33 PM

She was a better councilor asleep than most were awake.. she'll be missed.

#36 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 04:49 PM

Oh come off it groundlevel Helen Hughes was extremely hard working, one of the few councillors who put in much more than full time hours, despite her age. Anyone who has even the slightest contact with her can testify to her remarkable energy. Monday magazine makes a quip about her being narcoleptic and parrots repeat it without thinking. Don't be a parrot.

#37 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 05:11 PM

I've moved the posts about who can vote and run for council over to this thread from the Stan Stepos thread - Please use this thread to discuss eligibility for running.

#38 groundlevel

groundlevel
  • 76 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 05:14 PM

I regularly attend meetings where Helen is also in attendance. I've sat across from her and seen her glaze out, and been the recipient of startled glances from others. Its damn odd, but not narcolepsy. Someone told me in confidence that she has a medical condition but the name of said condition escapes me.

Yes, she's been hard working -- low income housing and street youth advocacy always perked her up, but in the last two neighbourhood laison postings she had, she was ineffective and distrusted.
I cant remember her ever voting against a develpment proposal, no matter how banal.
Her comments in council were perceptive
but,
I was never an admirer.

#39 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 05:28 PM

What if I own more than one piece of property?
You may only vote as a non-resident property elector for one piece of property in any municipality, regional district or school district.
In other words, if you own two pieces of property in one municipality, you may vote only once. If, however, you own one piece of property in one municipality and a second piece of property in another, you may vote in both jurisdictions.

http://www.municipal...ho_can_vote.htm

Thanks, VHF -- good site, very helpful.

@groundleveler -- I thought Hughes lived in OB. I'm not sure why I thought that, exactly, though, but I had convinced myself of it. Strange.

PS: @caramia: thanks for moving this to its own thread. It's an important issue -- maybe those regulations need a bit of a look-see, and for my 2-cents, I sure think the rules around who can get into elected office (and live where) need a bit of scrutiny/ deep thinking.

#40 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 03 July 2008 - 11:43 AM

I cant remember her ever voting against a develpment proposal, no matter how banal.

Example of a banal proposal?

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users