3 tenors, 4 seasons etc etc...

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#23 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 22 September 2006 - 01:23 PM

Alright, U2's in. I saw them at BC Place in '87.

And I'll include Gang of Four and 808 State.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#24 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 22 September 2006 - 01:26 PM

I saw U2 in 1997 I think?? Oh and then there is the 4 Tops.

It has a whole new look!

#25 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 22 September 2006 - 01:33 PM

Sorry, Jarrod. Nothing personal but I don't like bands with numbers in their name (Sum 41, Blink 182, 311, Matchbox 20, Finger 11 etc etc..)

Except the Jackson 5 and MC5.

How about 10cc?
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#26 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 22 September 2006 - 01:38 PM

Sorry, Jarrod. Nothing personal but I don't like bands with numbers in their name (Sum 41, Blink 182, 311, Matchbox 20, Finger 11 etc etc..)

Except the Jackson 5 and MC5.

How about 10cc?

I'm thinking any pre-1980 band gets a pass.

Ah, ah ah...Not so fast, Haircut 100!
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."

#27 HOMBRE

HOMBRE
  • 58 posts

Posted 26 September 2006 - 03:33 PM

save on foods is a dissappointment, utterly. Infact its soo bad that i'm looking at going to vancouver to see a show that plays the following night here in town, however given that its on a sunday in a city like this with a arena like that, its going to be worth the extra money to go to vancouver.

that venue is a sad example of what happens when the general public tries to micro manage everything.

lets just hope someone in the westshore allows for a venue to be built without interfearing in it, and they also allow for some entertainment venues to make going to a concert a full night experience.

#28 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 30 September 2006 - 08:09 AM

Banks in the right on original arena proposal
Article Tools
Printer friendly
Font: * * * * Times Colonist
Published: Saturday, September 30, 2006
The people who tried and failed to build Victoria's first attempted replacement to Memorial Arena have only themselves to blame, according to a B.C. Supreme Court Justice.

In a decision released yesterday, Justice Robert Bauman ruled against Victoria Sports/Entertainment Associates in a lawsuit the group filed against the Toronto-Dominion Bank and The Bank of Nova Scotia.

Bauman ruled neither bank misled Victoria Sports/Entertainment about their need for a strong underwriter to any loan, either a loan guarantee from the provincial government or more money from another investor/partner.

The judge found instead of trying to satisfy the banks, Victoria Sports/Entertainment tried to talk their way out of any requirement of a loan guarantee by demonstrating the strength of their project.

The decision is perhaps the last nail in the coffin of an attempt by a former life insurance executive, David Pasant, of San Francisco, to replace Victoria's Memorial Arena. Pasant, owner of the Spiders, a San Francisco franchise of the now defunct International Hockey League, attempted to rebuild Victoria's arena with a 12,000-seat replacement using the team as its anchor tenant.

The attempt failed in April 1999 after the province refused to step in. Last-ditch efforts to come up with an alternative failed and the banks refused to put up any money.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#29 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 30 September 2006 - 08:44 AM

^I had no idea that was still going on. If Pasant had won, would that mean SOFMC would be destroyed to make way for the reborn Islandnet.com Centre?

#30 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 30 September 2006 - 09:00 AM

^ You mean back under the Pavilion, Rock and Shell it came from?

Hmm, wonder if any of those kids would like free beer from Soprano's before the show?

#31 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 30 September 2006 - 09:05 AM

I like Rock Pavillion shell.

It has a whole new look!

#32 Lover Fighter

Lover Fighter
  • 653 posts

Posted 30 September 2006 - 01:01 PM

The event of the YEAR is happening tonight guys!
C'mon, the son of Billy Graham is preaching!

#33 Jarrod

Jarrod
  • 125 posts

Posted 30 September 2006 - 02:14 PM

Who's Billy Graham?

I have no idea. I'm not christian.

#34 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 30 September 2006 - 02:43 PM

yah, so anyways...speaking of SOFMC, is anyone else hoping that another group in Victoria buys out the operating lease from RG Properties, and runs this properly!? Adds the finishing touches, not to mention a proper centre ice score board, and runs the place professionally. I'd still like to see junior hockey come back to Victoria, I swear it would generate far more interest than the ECHL, especially now that Vancouver and Chilliwack have junior teams, and it would be a great rivalry for a Victoria team.

#35 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 30 September 2006 - 03:30 PM

Folks, this is not the place to hold this discussion. We are aware of the event at the SOFMC so lets move on.

If you wish to carry on a discussion about your interpretation of Billy Graham's preachings I'm sure you can find an alternative medium to do so.

[Edit] Several posts about Billy Graham were removed, as requested by those who posted them.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#36 Jarrod

Jarrod
  • 125 posts

Posted 01 October 2006 - 03:14 AM

I heard that on The Zone that they're trying to get Billy Talent sometime next year. I like what the Zone does because they're trying to get younger people groups into town for young people of this community.

#37 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 01 October 2006 - 12:16 PM

yah, so anyways...speaking of SOFMC, is anyone else hoping that another group in Victoria buys out the operating lease from RG Properties, and runs this properly!? Adds the finishing touches, not to mention a proper centre ice score board, and runs the place professionally. I'd still like to see junior hockey come back to Victoria, I swear it would generate far more interest than the ECHL, especially now that Vancouver and Chilliwack have junior teams, and it would be a great rivalry for a Victoria team.

No. I find most folks who want junior hockey back have never seen minor-pro. It's way better than WHL hockey.

#38 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 01 October 2006 - 02:25 PM

I would like to see a complete revamp of hockey in NA and make it more like Soccer in Europe or Britain.

2 worst NHL teams would go down to AHL 2 best AHL would go up to NHL. Same between AHL and ECHL. It would give all fans more to get excited about.

It has a whole new look!

#39 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 01 October 2006 - 02:45 PM

I would like to see a complete revamp of hockey in NA and make it more like Soccer in Europe or Britain.

2 worst NHL teams would go down to AHL 2 best AHL would go up to NHL. Same between AHL and ECHL. It would give all fans more to get excited about.

That's sure a complete overhaul. It'd be almost impossible to do, what with player unions, salary caps, multi-year NHL TV deals etc. I'd love to see the UHL (United Hockey League, North-Central US-based) champs play the ECHL and CHL (Central Hockey League, mostly Texas-based) champs etc., but that's never happened either, and those leagues are arguably pretty much on par.

BTW, here is an interesting map of MAJOR sports in NA:

#40 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 01 October 2006 - 03:23 PM

I guess CFL players don't get paid :)

It has a whole new look!

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users