#1 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 09 July 2008 - 08:50 AM

Langford rolls out free wireless link to Internet along main street
Bill Cleverley, Times Colonist
Published: Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Access to the Internet is now free in downtown Langford.

The municipality is the first in the capital region to turn its downtown -- specifically Goldstream Avenue between Jacklin Road and Veterans Memorial Parkway -- into a wireless hotspot.

"I'm planning to do the whole town," said Mayor Stew Young, adding the network will next expand to the area around Eagle Ridge arena and City Centre Park, and then to Westhills.

The startup infrastructure cost was $50,000 but expansion will be significantly cheaper, Young said, adding the service is of benefit to both residents and visitors, and will make for a "smarter community."

"It's a good tool for the schools; for education and for people just to be able to access the Internet," he said.

Langford launched the service about two weeks ago and response has been positive, Young said.

So far, according to deputy administrator Jim Bowden, the network doesn't significantly penetrate buildings. "It mostly just covers the streets," he said, but noted the municipality would consider further expansion.

In order to connect to the network, a person needs a wireless-capable computer or handheld device such as BlackBerry or an iPhone. Access is simple: Just open the device and scan for a network called LangfordWi-Fi. Once connected, open the Internet browser and you will be connected to a disclaimer page that you will have to read and accept before being given access to the network.

The setup is no different to what would be offered in an Internet cafe, said information systems administrator Scott Notenberg. It means laptop users can access the Internet for free, and do what they want, whether that's check e-mail, surf the web or connect to work.

To create the wireless network, Langford hung four, low-powered transmitters, or routers, from light standards on the street that enable computers to connect to the web through the municipality's own Internet service.

"It's isolated from our internal traffic so we're isolated internally but, basically, they're sharing our Internet feed," Notenberg said.

The new service will tie in well with the opening of its new library in a couple of months, Young said.

"When that's opened we're going to have it so Langford is going to provide computers. So if you don't own a computer in Langford, you'll be able to go to the library; sign out the laptop and sit outside on the patio and tap into the Internet," Young said. "I think it will be hugely successful."

It's the first such system in the region, although a couple of years ago, Citiwide Broadband Communications had offered to similarly blanket Victoria with free wireless. The city agreed, but the installation of equipment never happened.

Katie Josephson, Victoria manager of corporate communications, said the city doesn't intend to create its own wireless network anytime soon.

bcleverley@tc.canwest.com

#2 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,116 posts

Posted 09 July 2008 - 10:20 AM

Saanich & Colwood are part of the BizPaL network, now Langford has free wireless on Goldstream. Victoria needs to get with the program.

edit: actually according to the BizPaL site Victoria is in progress

#3 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 09 July 2008 - 10:25 AM

Katie Josephson, Victoria manager of corporate communications, said the city doesn't intend to create its own wireless network anytime soon.

Ya, we need to study it for 15 years, see if this internet thing is for real. Then in 2023 we can install it on a trial basis, just in Centennial Square as we do the renovations.

#4 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 09 July 2008 - 10:27 AM

The municipality is the first in the capital region to turn its downtown...into a wireless hotspot.

Maybe Oak Bay will be the next to turn its downtown into a wireless hotspot. Or Saanich. Or View Royal. Or....

#5 Koru

Koru
  • 715 posts

Posted 09 July 2008 - 10:43 AM

Maybe Oak Bay will be the next to turn its downtown into a wireless hotspot. Or Saanich. Or View Royal. Or....

View Royal has a downtown? :P...

I'm glad to see at least one municipality has finally stepped up to the gun on the wireless internet realm. I really can't believe that municipalities are so far behind the gun on this. Once again Langford is proving how progressive and open to new possibilities and growth. This is another prime example why Langford has grown from the most laughed at crap hole in the south island to one of the most rapidly growing, diversified and vibrant communities on the south Island. They aren't afraid to try new things, approve projects that will grow is population base and economic centre...I know a lot of people don't like Stew Young but he is one shrewd individual who has done a tremendous job leading Langford from complete hillbilly to a community with a large desirability, increased population and ever-widening economic base

#6 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 09 July 2008 - 11:41 AM

No, it sure doesn't. But neither does Langford.

#7 Roger

Roger
  • 284 posts

Posted 09 July 2008 - 11:44 AM

There are a few negative things that are associated with using public Wi-Fi hotspots:

1. Identity theft. Most are operated without any encryption (WEP,WPA,WPA2). This means hackers can watch all the traffic and pickup passwords, email traffic and confidential information. Even WEP can be cracked in a few minutes with easily available software. Savvy users will use Virtual Private Network software to encrypt everything of interest between their computer and the public access point or router.

2. Child **rn. Public internet access provides a way to be anonymous on the net. Making this easier for these individuals is not desirable in my opinion.

#8 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 09 July 2008 - 12:01 PM

^ I don't think we should slow down access to information because of the small number of criminals that take advantage of something. We just need to improve the system.

#9 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 09 July 2008 - 01:29 PM

Pete's Tent and Awning; the place to see and be seen.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#10 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 09 July 2008 - 02:12 PM

Ya, we need to study it for 15 years, see if this internet thing is for real. Then in 2023 we can install it on a trial basis, just in Centennial Square as we do the renovations.

Bwahaha, good one, VHF -- that made me laugh!

@ G-man: agree.
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#11 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 09 July 2008 - 03:13 PM

I thought only the privileged leisure class even knew what the internet was!

#12 Koru

Koru
  • 715 posts

Posted 09 July 2008 - 04:49 PM

Pete's Tent and Awning; the place to see and be seen.

oh crap, Pete's eh? damn here I thought I was a suburban dweller and now I find out I live right at the hub bub of bustling View Royal,

#13 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 09 July 2008 - 05:44 PM

I thought only the privileged leisure class even knew what the internet was!

See? Just proves what a stirrup-holder to the capitalist pig-dog classes Langford's mayor is! <sarcasm alert...> Back in the day when it was Dogpatch, people were content to have electricity. Now they want wireless! Sheesh! Must be all those Albertans moving in...
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#14 Phil McAvity

Phil McAvity
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 07:52 PM

****ing VicHockeyFan pissed me off again.

Right when I am formulating a good Victoria bureaucracy joke, he steals my thunder!

A few years ago the city of Victoria did actually try and team up with a private company to bring free wi-fi to the city but they never got it working. I tried and tried and tried to get it on my laptop but their company name never appeared in my list of servers. The only thing that ever did appear repeatedly was the name of their company in the papers so it just sounded like another Asfarian P.R. scam to me.

Aastra, what part of "Goldstream Ave." didn't you understand? Because that's clearly Langford's downtown. I agree about View Royal though, any downtown they have is purely imaginary.

Once again, Langford has to teach Victoria how to do things. :rolleyes:

#15 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 08:14 PM

****ing VicHockeyFan pissed me off again.

Right when I am formulating a good Victoria bureaucracy joke, he steals my thunder!

Let the record show, I started this thread 6 days ago, and you could have made the joke any time thereafter. The speed of your joke formulating is almost as slow as the City moves.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users