Douglas Magazine - new business mag

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 07 September 2006 - 02:37 PM

I just saw ad advert for Douglas Magazine, a new business mag, on a bus.

First issue will come out in the fall and the online addy is douglasmagazine.com. Interesting...

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 07 September 2006 - 02:50 PM

Ya, it's yet another title from the folks that run Beautiful BC or whatever that's called now, plus many other titles.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#3 Oxford Sutherland

Oxford Sutherland
  • 522 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 08:14 PM

It's about time Victoria got a decent business magazine. I'll be sure to check out the first issue, I'll probably subscribe if I like it.

#4 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 23 September 2006 - 02:04 PM

I question whether this is viable with the Business Examiner already circulating around, and for free!

Btw, has anyone heard anything about that Victoria BC magazine that came out a few months back?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5 Walter Moar

Walter Moar
  • 166 posts

Posted 06 November 2006 - 10:44 AM

I saw a couple of copies at Discovery Coffee, but I didn't have time to take a peek.

#6 Oxford Sutherland

Oxford Sutherland
  • 522 posts

Posted 06 November 2006 - 10:51 AM

I haven't seen this magazine for sale anywhere

Anyone know where it's for sale?

#7 Walter Moar

Walter Moar
  • 166 posts

Posted 11 January 2007 - 07:52 AM

The January/February issue is out, no idea where it can actually be purchased other than by subscription.

Again it reads like a glossy 40+ page advertisement for local businesses. For example, the "Victoria's Coffee Culture" article mentions ten coffee companies. The cover article "Attracting and Retaining Staff" profiles eight local businesses. To me, the articles seem more like advertisements.

I suppose their focus is to promote local business, but it doesn't contain the breadth and quantity of information found in the Business Examiner. On the other hand, I'll continue to read it and I did learn some interesting things.

#8 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 11 January 2007 - 08:02 AM

If I could purchase it at a bookstore or magazine shop I might get it but I have yet to see it. I should check Chapters...

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#9 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 11 January 2007 - 12:22 PM

I liked their approach of focusing on a district (some conflict of interest there as it was Lower Johnson St that got the first spotlight) Im interested to see how it goes from here. So far I enjoyed it.
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.
Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900), The Picture of Dorian Gray, 1891

#10 m0nkyman

m0nkyman
  • 729 posts

Posted 11 January 2007 - 12:45 PM

Again it reads like a glossy 40+ page advertisement for local businesses. For example, the "Victoria's Coffee Culture" article mentions ten coffee companies. The cover article "Attracting and Retaining Staff" profiles eight local businesses. To me, the articles seem more like advertisements.

I think this might be because you're used to the TC's policy of ignoring local businesses as much as possible.

#11 Walter Moar

Walter Moar
  • 166 posts

Posted 11 January 2007 - 12:54 PM

I think this might be because you're used to the TC's policy of ignoring local businesses as much as possible.

Haha... but there's so much to report about yesterday's weather!

#12 Walter Moar

Walter Moar
  • 166 posts

Posted 13 January 2007 - 05:04 PM

You can pick up Douglas Magazine at City Hall News, across Douglas from... City Hall. I think it's at 1609.

#13 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 13 January 2007 - 05:06 PM

They have a picture of one of their covers at Johnson and Government on the second floor of one of the buildings.

Know it all.

#14 Walter Moar

Walter Moar
  • 166 posts

Posted 13 January 2007 - 06:28 PM

^ Saw that today too, I think it's their office.

#15 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 07:01 PM

OK, just read tha mag. Thought it was OK. It came inserted in Thursdays Globe and Mail that I only got to today.

I know what you are thinking. I only pick up the G&M very occasionally, maybe 5 times less than I pick up the National Post.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#16 Icebergalley

Icebergalley
  • 596 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 08:55 PM

Thought I recalled a launch notice..

Found it

Aug 25th 2006

Douglas Magazine Launch
Douglas —Victoria's Business Magazine

CIRCULATION: 20,000

FREQUENCY: Bi-monthly

PREMIER ISSUE: November 2006

Victoria’s business community is growing and changing rapidly. To get ahead and stay ahead, Victoria needs its own venue for business-to-business communication. Page One Publishing is meeting that challenge with Douglas, Victoria’s business magazine.

With Norman Gidney leading our editorial team, Page One is ensuring editorial in Douglas speaks to and for Victoria and addresses issues and concerns that are specific to this city’s business environment.

Douglas is Victoria’s only glossy, full-colour business magazine and offers advertisers the opportunity to showcase their businesses in a high-quality publication. All aspects of Douglas have been created to directly target the city’s most influential demographic: decision makers and achievers in business.

To maximize exposure for advertisers, Douglas is designed to be kept and referred to again and again by people with the power to buy. Page One’s complimentary design services, coupled with years of experience in print-media marketing, make this an opportunity you won’t want to miss.

Establish your business as a visible, active part of Victoria’s business community in Douglas magazine.

Editorial Inquiries:Norman Gidney, Consulting Editor, Douglas Magazine, mailto:ngidney@douglasmagazine.com, Direct Line: (250) 474-6145, Advertising Inquiries: Jay McNeil, Director of Sales, Page One Publishing, mailto:jmcneil@pageonepublishing.ca, Tel: (250) 595-7243

Subscribe to Douglas

http://www.douglasmagazine.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users