Photo

Needle Exchange - Updates, Opinions and Other...

• Please log in to reply
336 replies to this topic

#21 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 10 January 2007 - 11:20 PM

"At night"? I passed 6 or 8 of them whacked out today at 4PM, plus another 5 or 6 sleeping in the doorways.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#22 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 10 January 2007 - 11:22 PM

funny how junkie row is immediately behind the Ministry of Health building

#23 renthefinn

renthefinn
  • 571 posts

Posted 10 January 2007 - 11:52 PM

Needle exchanges. Good or bad? Discuss!

#24 Walter Moar

Walter Moar
  • 166 posts

Posted 11 January 2007 - 05:25 AM

At night? Recent? Although it has indeed been getting worse, it's been like this for at least the last three years that I've lived at Cormorant and Blanshard. I tell friends not to park here at night, not to leave bicycles outside at any time. The AVI customers do not "invade", they are there most of the time. The tend to only be missing when they're chased away by police before the 9-5 suburbians head downtown for the day.

As for needle exchanges good/bad: Good, but why doesn't AVI have a policy against people hanging around outside their door? Other social services attempt to be "good neighbours", but AVI seems not to have bothered with this step.

#25 NMP

NMP
  • 134 posts

Posted 11 January 2007 - 06:23 AM

Needle exchanges. Good or bad?

Bad.

/Prepares to be beaten and possibly needled

#26 m0nkyman

m0nkyman
  • 729 posts

Posted 11 January 2007 - 06:43 AM

Needle exchanges - Good.

How it's being managed in Victoria - Bad.

#27 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,786 posts

Posted 11 January 2007 - 07:18 AM

I think that AVI does an amazing job of running that place considering the Needle exchange has two staff and that they actually take in more needles than they give out every year.

Also in 2005 they took in over a million syringes. That is an insane volume. What we need is better policing or a safe injection site.

The removal of those caught dealing near there would help, again, a criminal issue for the police.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#28 Walter Moar

Walter Moar
  • 166 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 10:36 AM

I have a Grid Project photo up of the AVI building. More notable than the photo itself is the set of notes on the photo. You can check it all out [url=http://flickr.com/photos/walter_moar/383311245/:2af6c]here[/url:2af6c].

#29 Willa

Willa
  • 56 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 11:24 AM

I see people shooting up there all the time -- if I'm walking alone at night, I make sure to go to the other side of Blanshard. It's disgusting and unacceptable. Why the cops can't stop it is beyond me. Too busy firing bullets in residential neighbourhoods I guess. ;-)

#30 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 11:29 AM

I have a Grid Project photo up of the AVI building. More notable than the photo itself is the set of notes on the photo. You can check it all out [url=http://flickr.com/photos/walter_moar/383311245/:9a3cc]here[/url:9a3cc].

What time in the morning do they do the street-sweep?
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#31 Walter Moar

Walter Moar
  • 166 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 12:11 PM

I have a Grid Project photo up of the AVI building. More notable than the photo itself is the set of notes on the photo. You can check it all out [url=http://flickr.com/photos/walter_moar/383311245/:6bcd4]here[/url:6bcd4].

What time in the morning do they do the street-sweep?

7:am, before the office workers head downtown. The police usually come by earlier and wake everyone up.

#32 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 12:15 PM

[quote name='Walter Moar'][quote name='VicHockeyFan'][quote name='"Walter Moar":15162']I have a Grid Project photo up of the AVI building. More notable than the photo itself is the set of notes on the photo. You can check it all out [url=http://flickr.com/photos/walter_moar/383311245/:15162]here[/url:15162].[/quote]

What time in the morning do they do the street-sweep?[/quote]

7:am, before the office workers head downtown. The police usually come by earlier and wake everyone up.[/quote:15162]

How do they wake them up? Shoot 12 times in the air? :lol:

#33 Walter Moar

Walter Moar
  • 166 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 12:30 PM

^ Honestly, they used to use sirens and loudspeakers (at 5 or 6 am), but some phone calls put a stop to that. I'm thankfully asleep most of the time, so I don't really care what they do! :)

#34 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 25 May 2007 - 12:43 PM

So lets legalize all drugs then. Seriously. That takes the profit out of selling it (thus eliminating dealers and gang-land crime), and lowers the price of drugs so users don't have to do petty crime to support their habit.

I'm quite serious. I don't see any distinction between alcohol or any other drug.

Are you talking mere decriminalization or government actually getting into the drug business like they do with liquor?

I can't conceive of any scenario that would reduce the organized crime element. Even if it were possible for the government to get into the drug trade who's to say the existing drug network won't simply undercut the government?
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#35 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,786 posts

Posted 25 May 2007 - 01:28 PM

^ Just stop making it illegal. A large portion of the cost of drugs is because of the potential danger. Of course if the gangs tried to undercut any government drug sale that would still further reduce petty crime as drugs would be cheaper yet :)

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#36 Icebergalley

Icebergalley
  • 596 posts

Posted 25 May 2007 - 02:21 PM

This Rehab stuff is big business too...

I followed the google ads that appear with this topic and found Cedars at Cobblehill.. It is presented much like a fine hotel...

Drug rehabilitation treatment plans are individualized to best fit the needs and goals of each patient. The rehabilitation treatment team will motivate and teach patients to assume responsibility for their recovery.
Our residential treatment facility takes advantage of the natural beauty of British Columbia's West Coast. The log residences are spacious and comfortable with common area lounges highlighted by fireplaces.
Our alcohol and drug rehabilitation treatment center has over 5KM of beautiful forested trails on our 30 acres of property. This provides patients with both privacy and a natural therapeutic setting utilizing the great outdoors.

#37 Rorschach

Rorschach

Truth is my bitch!

• 758 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 06:17 AM

"The consumption sites are expected to prevent overdose deaths, slow the spread of infectious diseases such as HIV, and curtail hospital emergency-room visits -- saving up to $2.8 million in health-care costs, according to the Vancouver Island Health Authority."

How many overdose deaths have actually occurred in Victoria? What infectious diseases HIV or otherwise have actually been spread? And are these people really going to the emergency room for help? Where does the 2.8 million in health care costs figure come from?

#38 Rorschach

Rorschach

Truth is my bitch!

• 758 posts

Posted 28 June 2007 - 12:32 PM

Article in Globe & Mail:

[url=http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/LAC.20070628.BCCLINIC28/TPStory/TPNational/BritishColumbia/:5c6a6]Victoria Plans Safe Injection Sites[/url:5c6a6]

#39 m0nkyman

m0nkyman
  • 729 posts

Posted 28 June 2007 - 12:40 PM

I'd be worried if I thought there was the faintest chance they'd get the legal exemption from the current federal government.

#40 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 28 June 2007 - 03:22 PM

I'd be worried if I thought there was the faintest chance they'd get the legal exemption from the current federal government.

Vancouver got theirs extended under Harper.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users