Great Canadian Beer Festival

• Please log in to reply
128 replies to this topic

#121 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 28 June 2018 - 08:13 AM

And now with Phillips' tasting room you've got a plethora of their beers at the ready whenever you are.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#122 gstc84

gstc84
  • 521 posts

Posted 28 June 2018 - 08:23 AM

And if you feel like sitting outside, the Drake's patio in Market Square has been my favourite spot this summer to have a beer from their also quite extensive list.

#123 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 28 June 2018 - 08:31 AM

I don't think anyone really comprehends what a dire state the gcbf is in right now. I don't know whether it's red tape or what but between the price increases & other beer events on throughout the year I don't think it can last more than 5 more years. Either it will become just a BC thing or it will move somewhere else, or both. It had a good run I guess. It would be great if the city didn't charge for the venue as at some events in Oregon.

They priced themselves out of the market. $50 to get in and then the equivalent of $8 a beer for what you can essentially get many places in town was outrageous. 

#124 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,116 posts

Posted 28 June 2018 - 09:18 AM

I've heard some Oregon festivals take place on a farm or city park where the city donates the facility. They also draw the beer from refrigerated semi trailers instead of a ridiculous ice-bucket system that's currently used at gcbf, probably because it takes place on a sports field. Could there be a local farm that would donate (or for minimal fee) their property for a week or two, and allow a dozen or so semi trailers to park there? Like the Beckwith Farm or the sod farm on Blenkinsop? Both of those are still relatively close to public transport and I think are pretty secure due to ditches, bushes or the lake, requiring minimal fencing. Or what about the Sandown racetrack area? There's got to be a better way to do it (that doesn't involve complaining about the government), if similar events elsewhere can break even without any admission charge and cheaper tokens we should be able to also, and also keep it in the victoria area.

Edited by amor de cosmos, 28 June 2018 - 09:24 AM.

#125 tanker

tanker
  • Banned
  • 575 posts

Posted 02 July 2021 - 05:03 PM

So is this cancelled officially or is it still possible this year?

#126 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,364 posts

Posted 02 July 2021 - 05:46 PM

Haven't seen anything official, but it's WAY too late to do anything this year. The red tape alone, never mind booking breweries from all over the province...

#127 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,880 posts

Posted 02 July 2021 - 08:49 PM

Not happening.

Matt.
  • todd likes this

#128 JohnsonStBridge

JohnsonStBridge
  • 342 posts
  • LocationInner Harbour

Posted 20 July 2021 - 07:44 PM

I hear the organizers are looking to put together a couple smaller scale events in place of the full festival. Seems like they are waiting to have these plans in place before making an 'official' announcement on cancelling the 2021 festival.

#129 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,343 posts

Posted 09 September 2022 - 04:57 AM

Ribfest, Great Canadian Beer Festival and the Victoria Cheese and Meat Festival returning this weekend

Esquimalt Ribfest, Great Canadian Beer Festival, Victoria Cheese and Meat Festival

https://www.timescol...weekend-5798492
  • lanforod likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users