Photo

[Fairfield - Victoria] Cook St Village - Oliphant and Cook

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 GRT

GRT
  • 106 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 12:09 PM

Has anyone heard about another condo project at the corner of Oliphant and Cook? The story I heard was that the current apartment building and adjacent houses were to be torn down to make way for a new condo. Truth or urban myth?

#2 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 12:16 PM

Are talking about Castana? Or something south of Oliphant at Cook?

#3 GRT

GRT
  • 106 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 08:52 PM

No, not Castana, a NEW condo project . . .

#4 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 09:51 PM

On the south side of Oliphant and Cook? The north side is Castana 2 (Pharmasave). There's a house or duplex there now, I think.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#5 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 10:41 PM

First I've heard of this.

The apartment building on the SW corner (south of Oliphant, west side of Cook) has a lane next to it (on Oliphant).

That lane is public (?), and curves away from Oliphant to eventually run parallel to it, all the way through to Vancouver. If the plan were to include the house on Oliphant (which looks like it needs a bit of TLC at the very least), I don't see how anyone could build on top of the lane...

On Cook, next to and to the south of the apartment at the Oliphant/ Cook corner, is another small apartment (perhaps originally a house, converted/ stuccoed over? Not sure).

I bet there'd be hell to pay if anyone proposed tearing down any of these properties (which are obviously "affordable housing/ rental properties") and proposed building condos instead, unless for some reason it wouldn't involve rezoning (can't imagine that).

There are no signs on any of the buildings (not "for sale" nor rezoning applications), so where'd this rumour come from, GRT? Is it credible or just speculation because those buildings look like they've seen sprightlier days?
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#6 GRT

GRT
  • 106 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 05:26 AM

Yes, I heard it was the SW corner, but since no one else has heard this rumour, I'll go back to my source for more info . . . Sorry for stirring the pot!

#7 GRT

GRT
  • 106 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 07:20 AM

Here's the scoop. My friend heard the story from a woman whose house backs on the lane way between Park and Oliphant near Vancouver St, who heard it from a tenant in one of the houses on Cook between Park and Oliphant:

The two rental houses on the west side of Cook between Park and Oliphant are apparently to be torn down to make way for a condo. Another house on the lane way on Oliphant (and this one I can't identify) is also to be torn down to make way for parking for same condo.

Granted it's third hand info, but the primary source does appear to be someone (the tenant) who should know . . .

#8 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 08:08 AM

Well, tearing down two affordable housing buildings to build a condo is inflammatory enough, but to tear down a third to make way for parking is sure to push everyone's button.

And in the softening market, seems to me it's a tad hare-brained...
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#9 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 10:39 AM

Oliphant is just north of the frame.

Seems unlikely but not impossible. Those homes on that block, on Cook are of a small scale compared to most of what in the area. Would have to be a huge condo if they intend to tear town a whole house and use it's lot as a parking lot - to make it profitable, I mean. I think that if this project is in the works, I highly doubt it about the parking thing.

And I realize it has little bite to it, but the CSV Official Community Plan (pdf) allows for higher density and possible retail on that block. Or maybe I'm misinterpreting things. Check out the map on the last page, with the broken lines around the zone. It's part of the development permit area 13, explained vaguely earlier on in the document.

The community would be up in arms though. This developer should do a little reading on the Castana thread before he/she decides this might be a good idea.

#10 Village Dolt

Village Dolt
  • 35 posts

Posted 08 August 2008 - 04:57 PM

Hey Villagers!

Thanks Gumgum for starting the new thread! :)

Quoteth earlier the Dolt..
"Since I live up da other end da hood, I wanted to know what everyone thinks of the handful of biz's that share the $tarbuk$ building, namely the health practitioners on the second floor, Ambrosio and Il Posto and the noobly opened Age Less esthetics spa round the corner in the parking lot. Rants? Raves? Thanx!"

Well, nichy Italian cuisine lovers... Prima Strada just opened for dinner on Wednesday and I perused a copy of their menu, copies available at the front counter. Modest selection available and thus slightly overpriced to compensate. Has anyone here eaten there yet? Rants? Raves?

Il Posto, by comparison, will be having another yummy Dinners weekend, Aug. 15-17, great Italian fare for $25 a head. Copies of nightly fare by the Il Posto till.

The Way of the Sub should be open within a month by my guessin'. :rolleyes:

Have a fun summer and see y'all at the Free B Film Festival at bandshell! :cool:
Vote for the Dolt for Cook Street Village's first mayor!
Then we amalgamate! :D

#11 Village Dolt

Village Dolt
  • 35 posts

Posted 08 August 2008 - 05:03 PM

Oopsky!

Fergot, Prima Strada's new website, with menu and other stuff on it soon, is at..

http://pizzeriaprimastrada.com/

Chatacha laters!

Doltsky
Vote for the Dolt for Cook Street Village's first mayor!
Then we amalgamate! :D

#12 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 08 August 2008 - 05:40 PM

Thanks for the thanks, but GRT started the thread.:)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users