VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 02 August 2008 - 01:30 PM

Fleet-footed hoe eases river rehab
Mount Doug Park creek pressured by stormwater runoff
Richard Watts, Times Colonist
Published: Saturday, August 02, 2008

Supporters of Mount Douglas Park have hired Your Friendly Neighbourhood Spider Hoe to make a creek safe for salmon once again.

The Friends of Mount Douglas Park have partnered with a number of other groups to turn the lower section of Douglas Creek, which winds through the park, back into salmon-spawning ground.

Bob Bridgeman, director for streams for the group, said the spider hoe's four articulating legs can step in and over obstacles to construct log weirs, and then see them held in place with cables tied in to large riverside rocks.

These weirs are all part of an attempt to hold spawning gravel in place during the winter months, when the creek can become a torrent of stormwater runoff.

Bridgeman said support from groups such as the Pacific Salmon Foundation, the Hong Kong Bank of B.C., local government and the Department of Fisheries and Oceans have provided about $11,500 for the restoration work.

In recent years restoration efforts have met with some success, with as many as 100 fish returning to spawn in 2006. But last year especially heavy runoff wiped out much of past efforts at stream rehabilitation.

"You get such a rush of water down here. You would have to see it to believe it," said Bridgeman.

He said it's a common problem with urban streams, which are often used for stormwater management to drain large areas of roadworks, parking lots and other impervious surfaces.

And the storm water also picks up pollutants, like oil, dripping from cars, presenting another problem.

But Bridgeman said measures can be taken and eventually Douglas Creek can support a sustainable salmon run.

"We are marching ahead, albeit with baby steps," he said.

rwatts@tc.canwest.com

#2 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 02 August 2008 - 01:32 PM

I had to laugh when I saw that article this morning. It was accompanied by a nice big photo of the beast in action.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#3 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 02 August 2008 - 03:41 PM

Yeah when I saw it this morning I was like "SPIDER HOE!!!" and everyone gave me odd looks haha.

#4 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 11:14 PM

Right on! Spyder Hoe to the rescue! It's a meme.

#5 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 11:42 PM

I can see it entering the language:

"Harry, we need extra people working on this budget."

"Frank, it's not that difficult. No need to spyder hoe it at this point."
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#6 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 09:22 AM

Damn it Nick, that's a spyder hoe of a job!

#7 Brian Hay

Brian Hay
  • 32 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 03:49 PM

Hi everyone :) Been a while since I have been in. I have been busy.

I had mixed feelings when I seen that in the news....it's not me. But oh well, I am still the only one based on the Island and it will no doubt raise awareness. If it gets people on the Island searching the net they will find me.

Here are a couple shots of one of my recent projects if anyone is interested. It's too bad I couldn't do anything next to the trees. The rest of the yard is beautiful but the sod goes right up to edge of the property line.
The shots of the Spyder Hoe holding the huge boulder are the same just one from outside and one from inside the cab. Hows that for Spyder Hoe power eh!? Crazy little machine amazes even me at times.

Vancouver Islands Spyder Hoe
spyderhoesolutions.ca
Facebook page

#8 yodsaker

yodsaker
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 05:25 PM

very cool pics! thanks!

#9 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 08:15 PM

My 2 year old nephew was in town last month and I learned that the BIG event in his life was that a "digger" waved at him. He's so obsessed with construction machinery. I was fantasizing about hiring you and your machine for a half hour sometime when both you and the kidlet were in town just to give him a chance to get close to one.

#10 Koru

Koru
  • 715 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 08:21 PM

My 2 year old nephew was in town last month and I learned that the BIG event in his life was that a "digger" waved at him. He's so obsessed with construction machinery. I was fantasizing about hiring you and your machine for a half hour sometime when both you and the kidlet were in town just to give him a chance to get close to one.

Sort of related, sort of unrelated...I remember being a little kid and being obsessed with heavy machinery (imagine that, what I do now, what a surprise)...but one of the highlights to a day or the way a bad day in the crane turns to be a little more light is when I look down and see a little kid, boy or girl looking up and pointing at the crane, and i wave down to them...brings a smile to my face everytime...

#11 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 08:28 PM

HA! I told him I 'knew' a crane operator. I got massive cool points. I would have explained it was an online "knowing" but I figured, he's two. I can explain that when he is older. Besides, I figure if I ever get called on it you'll come through for me.

#12 Koru

Koru
  • 715 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 08:32 PM

HA! I told him I 'knew' a crane operator. I got massive cool points. I would have explained it was an online "knowing" but I figured, he's two. I can explain that when he is older. Besides, I figure if I ever get called on it you'll come through for me.

HAHA - its the 21st "knowing" works for me! - anytime, anyone has a kid, niece or nephew, grandkid etc, give me a heads up and I'll keep an eye out!

#13 arfenarf

arfenarf
  • 322 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 06:36 AM

The highlight of my son's twelve years on this planet came when he was about three and a backhoe operator spotted him goggling at the Big Machine. The operator put a hard hat on D and let him sit in the cab with him. The operator put D's hands on the controls and they picked up the shovel and put it down again - "bonk!"

That *made* his year.

Later, a friend who is a cop said that, in his opinion, encounters like this are what make for a well-adjusted, happy person - the kid learns that strangers are kind and that a child's dreams are realizable: wonderful things can happen.

#14 Brian Hay

Brian Hay
  • 32 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 07:58 AM

Working on theses residential projects I almost always have kids watching me. Whenever I can I take the time when it's safe to let them climb in and check it out. I get a big kick out of the look on their face when I call them over. Some of them it's like they have been standing at the gates of Disney Land without a ticket and I just gave them one lol A couple of my customers kids I took pictures of at the controls, printed them and gave them to them. I can imagine those pictures are getting well traveled showing all their buddies. I was lucky growing up I was always around heavy equipment. I could operate machines before I could drive a car lol But even being around it every day it was still a huge thrill every time I got to go for a ride. If you see me around, now you know I still remember being a wide eyed kid watching. When I get a moment I will stop and take a break. Working by myself I don't take breaks at a set time. Usually once or twice a day there is someone walking past with questions or kids so that's when I take a break, answer questions and make a kids day....mine too. Next time the kidlets in town Caramia give me a shout and I will let you know where I am at.

spyderhoesolutions.ca
Facebook page

#15 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 07:59 AM

That is so awesome!

#16 Brian Hay

Brian Hay
  • 32 posts

Posted 08 August 2008 - 07:00 AM

Mike has generously offered me a free trial period advertising here on Vibrant Victoria. Thanks Mike! This forum is full of great people and I am proud to be a part of it. Spyder Hoe will be a permanent fixture here I am sure ;)

spyderhoesolutions.ca
Facebook page

#17 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 08 August 2008 - 08:33 AM

Awesome! As it should be!

#18 Brian Hay

Brian Hay
  • 32 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 03:43 PM

Spyder Hoe is lookn good right at the top of the page :D ! Thanks Mike and the rest of the VV team and members, you guys rock!

spyderhoesolutions.ca
Facebook page

#19 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 04:29 PM

I noticed that! Awesome :) And I love the little picture!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users