Photo

Cupcake bakeries in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1 julienne

julienne
  • 225 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 10:23 AM

Ooh la la cupcake bakery recently opened on Hillside at Cedar Hill, 1391 A Hillside to be exact. Anyone reports?

#2 Savannah

Savannah
  • 213 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 08:42 PM

Well. A man in our office was given a box of 12. Being a gentleman (or not sweet of tooth), he put them in the lunch room for us. They were good. I don't think they were worth three dollars each, which is what I've heard the price is, but they were good. Very sweet. Very nicely decorated with fancy, fluffy icing. Nice flavours. I ate three. :(

I don't think I'd buy them myself, but should more turn up in our lunch room, you can bet I will be there with my fork and cup of coffee.

Very nice presentation, too, fancy box and all.

#3 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 11:01 PM

I remember someone was asking if there was a cupcake bakery in town a while back. Well, now we have one. :)

#4 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 09 August 2008 - 09:07 PM

Awesome!!!!

#5 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 09 August 2008 - 09:25 PM

It was profiled in Monday Magazine this week as well.

#6 julienne

julienne
  • 225 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 02:01 PM

And another cupcake bakery opened in the Fernwood walking area across from the Belfry.
Pink Sugar Cupcakery is a long narrow space painted in a deep pink reminiscent of Pepto Bismol. Which I don't think you'll need here. Brightly coloured icing adorns chocolate and lemon cupcakes and some have molten fillings of peanut butter. Yum
1284 Gladstone Aven, 250-590-8055.
P.S. owner.baker Adrienne Jopp says very quietly, "they're vegan."

#7 Dinya

Dinya
  • 69 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 09:47 AM

The new cupcake bakery in the 700 block of Fort is now open and was apparently very busy at lunchtime yesterday.

#8 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 22 July 2009 - 09:49 AM

The new cupcake bakery in the 700 block of Fort is now open and was apparently very busy at lunchtime yesterday.

Has that replaced the Pink Sugar in Fernwood or is it in addition to it?

#9 goke

goke
  • 123 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 10:42 AM

Had some of these at work yesterday. Super sweet, nice and dense. tastes about the same as a Betty Crocker type mix with canned frosting. I don't see why these places are such a draw. Yet another LA fad that swept north I think. I wonder when the Pink Berry chain will open here?

#10 hotdoglegz

hotdoglegz
  • 120 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 12:57 PM

Has that replaced the Pink Sugar in Fernwood or is it in addition to it?

I believe it is a replacement with the operators of Little Piggy Bakery (on Fort) putting a take-out place in the Fernwood location

#11 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 02:09 PM

I believe it is a replacement with the operators of Little Piggy Bakery (on Fort) putting a take-out place in the Fernwood location

Oh great, just what the neighbourhood needs, a snobby wannabe food critic. I wonder if she will continue providing restaurant reviews on her local competitors.

I also hope she doesn't bring her rodent problem with her from downtown.

http://www.healthspa...F2?OpenDocument

#12 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 03:51 PM

A friend just brought one of these cupcakes over. Damn, it's good stuff.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#13 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 08:30 AM

Yup awesome!

#14 weirdie

weirdie
  • 497 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 09:11 AM

Oh great, just what the neighbourhood needs, a snobby wannabe food critic. I wonder if she will continue providing restaurant reviews on her local competitors.

I also hope she doesn't bring her rodent problem with her from downtown.

http://www.healthspa...F2?OpenDocument

Acting surprised that a restaurant downtown has a rodent problem is like acting surprised when you find a tourist who smells like BO and sunscreen at the end of the day. They're both everywhere.

#15 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 09:25 AM

Acting surprised that a restaurant downtown has a rodent problem is like acting surprised when you find a tourist who smells like BO and sunscreen at the end of the day. They're both everywhere.

Perhaps you can indicate which word or phrasing in particular conveyed a sense of surprise to you?

Regardless, you may be interested to know that I went back to the VIHA health inspection site to test your hypothesis. I tested 10 other restaurants in the same general area and nary a rat problem to be found - hers was the only one. So if indeed you managed to infer a sense of surprise in my posting, it is justifiable.

#16 weirdie

weirdie
  • 497 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 09:41 AM

Perhaps you can indicate which word or phrasing in particular conveyed a sense of surprise to you?

Regardless, you may be interested to know that I went back to the VIHA health inspection site to test your hypothesis. I tested 10 other restaurants in the same general area and nary a rat problem to be found - hers was the only one. So if indeed you managed to infer a sense of surprise in my posting, it is justifiable.

Checking out listings on VIHA and actually working in and having friends who have worked in Downtown restaurants are two different things. VIHA inspections are hardly, if ever, a surprise, so most restaurants have the time to clean out the rat and mouse **** from their kitchens and store rooms before the actual inspection. You'd be surprised at which 'high-end' restaurants have a rodent problem. The closer you are to the waterfront, the more prelevant the problem can be.

For example: the Noodle Box on Fisgard street. Nowhere on the VIHA inspection site does it say anything about a rodent problem. I lived in an apartment building where the balcony faces right down into their back courtyard and their food storage 'shed'. The shed had a two inch gap between the frame and the concrete, leaving a nice, large opening for the mice that we saw constantly to enter through. Yet people still eat there and, as I said, there's no mention of a rodent problem there.

#17 julienne

julienne
  • 225 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 09:53 AM

Re: rodents. I hope that the restaurant follows up. Surely they realize these types of write ups are available to the public and could be posted on forums such as this.

#18 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 10:08 AM

I worked in a lot of restaurants in the downtown core for most of the 1990s - I even ran a small caffe space (a lot like The Little Piggy's) on the same side of Fort Street, about two blocks down. We all knew of Victoria's rodent problem, so I guess I was lucky in that I worked in/ran places that took proactive steps.

Who knows, it's quite probably that the rat problem has gotten exponentially worse in the last 10 years. Regardless, why take the chance when info like that is so easily available nowadays.

Oh, and thanks for yet another reason to avoid The Noodle Box. ;)

#19 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 10:27 AM

Noodle box's prices and bland food is more than enough to keep me away
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#20 collywobbles

collywobbles
  • 25 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 10:51 AM

I haven't tried the cupcakes yet (will make a point of it at lunch), but I just have to say I have a really hard time believing selling nothing but cupcakes is a viable business model.

Then again, I have a hard time believing selling nothing but lampshades is a viable business model, but that joint on Burnside has been there for yonks.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users