Hugo's | Victoria | 600-block of Courtney Street | Closed in 2008

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,234 posts

Posted 16 August 2018 - 07:46 AM

It's now all the Courtenay Room, I believe. Mrs.Mike and I were just there for dinner on Saturday evening. The place was buzzing, and the bar was busy mixing up some exotic drinks. I think the bar has been in the same position since opening. Is that right? 

Don't be so sure.:cool:

#22 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 16 August 2018 - 08:06 AM

I think this went Hugo's -> Sanuk -> Catalano -> Courtenay Room. Unless there was something between Hugo's and Sanuk that I have forgotten.

Sanuk was my favorite as a restaurant, Hugo's was the best as a bar.

#23 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 16 August 2018 - 08:18 AM

The new Courtenay Room has been nominated as a 2018 contender for Air Canada enRoute Magazine's "Canada's Best New Restaurant." 

https://canadasbestn...aurants.com/en/

• Bill Lewis likes this

#24 FogPub

FogPub
  • 981 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 16 August 2018 - 01:22 PM

Thanks for the info, everyone!

Hugo's was my go-to place while it was open.  Haven't really found anywhere like it since.

#25 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 17 August 2018 - 05:30 AM

Oh yeah, there was the restaurant side and the bar side!

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#26 Bill Lewis

Bill Lewis
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 August 2018 - 01:27 PM

There was two (or three) more...

The space first opened as Capital Steakhouse in 1998 when the hotel opened, and later transitioned in to Hugo's Bar & Grill, then Sanuk until 2008 when the Hugo's bar was closed and converted to The Spa Magnolia.

in 2008, Prime Steakhouse opened, and operated until January 2013. There was a brief pop up restaurant (due to the abrupt closure of Prime) called 50 nights, until Catalano opened in the Spring of 2013.

The Courtney Room, which is operated by the hotel (not leased out), opened April 27th...

Cheers

Bill

I think this went Hugo's -> Sanuk -> Catalano -> Courtenay Room. Unless there was something between Hugo's and Sanuk that I have forgotten.

Sanuk was my favorite as a restaurant, Hugo's was the best as a bar.

• Mike K. likes this

#27 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 17 August 2018 - 05:35 PM

The space first opened as Capital Steakhouse in 1998 when the hotel opened, and later transitioned in to Hugo's Bar & Grill, then Sanuk until 2008 when the Hugo's bar was closed and converted to The Spa Magnolia.

in 2008, Prime Steakhouse opened, and operated until January 2013. There was a brief pop up restaurant (due to the abrupt closure of Prime) called 50 nights, until Catalano opened in the Spring of 2013.

The Courtney Room, which is operated by the hotel (not leased out), opened April 27th...

Cheers

Bill

Capitol Steakhouse was before my time (came to Victoria in 2002) and I completely forgot about Prime Steakhouse. That's less a reflection on the restaurant, and more about my not eating meat and therefore being less interested in that incarnation. We actually did go there a few times and it wasn't bad.

The only problem with the current Courtney Room (IMHO) is that it is clearly a hotel space -- if you go in at 9:30 in the evening they are more interested in setting the place up for tomorrow's breakfast than they are serving people stopping in for a post-theatre drink and snack.

#28 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,307 posts

Posted 17 August 2018 - 05:54 PM

Cheers

Bill

i think bill is the hotel gm.  good post.

• Bill Lewis likes this

#29 Bill Lewis

Bill Lewis
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 August 2018 - 06:50 PM

Yes, I am the hotel GM, and built the restaurant...as most who know me I’m happy to always engage in discussion online.

Greg, thx for the feedback on the 930 post-theatre. Not the intention, and sorry that was the impression given, as we’d like to be a spot you’ll go for a snack and a drink late after an event and many nights this summer we’re still rolling til 1130-1200. Would love to hear what you’d like to see if you want to drop me a note at gm@magnoliahotel.com

Cheers

#30 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 17 August 2018 - 09:12 PM

Yes, I am the hotel GM, and built the restaurant...as most who know me I’m happy to always engage in discussion online.

Greg, thx for the feedback on the 930 post-theatre. Not the intention, and sorry that was the impression given, as we’d like to be a spot you’ll go for a snack and a drink late after an event and many nights this summer we’re still rolling til 1130-1200. Would love to hear what you’d like to see if you want to drop me a note at gm@magnoliahotel.com

Cheers

Happy to give it a couple more tries, especially since its about 100 meters from home.

#31 FogPub

FogPub
  • 981 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 18 August 2018 - 12:04 AM

Yes, I am the hotel GM, ....

Good.  Can we have Hugo's back, please? :)

#32 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 18 August 2018 - 06:41 AM

Good.  Can we have Hugo's back, please? :)

There was the restaurant on the right when facing the building, and Hugo's the bar at the far left of the building with the hotel lobby and spa in between the two.  Hugo's was lost when they expanded the spa.   It was a significant amount of hotel space and I believe it went all the way to the back of the building.

It would be ideal if we could keep the Courtney Room for the restaurant and bring Hugo's back as the bar (in some form).  That assumes of course that there is a business case for making the Spa smaller once again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users