Photo

Where to find local building codes?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 justin240

justin240
  • 15 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 07:23 PM

I am looking for Victoria area building codes, specifically masonry installation in Victoria area and Bear mountain. Any links or resources would be greatly appreciated.
thanks
Justin

#2 Zimquats

Zimquats
  • 299 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 09:04 PM

There is no Victoria area building code really. Buildings here will be built to the BC Building Code 2006 (or national building code if on goverment owned land, indian reservations etc). There are some loading and siesmic tables in the BC building code that pertain to the Victoria area, but ya, no Victoria code.

As for the building code itself, you get it from the queens printers (think it's on lower Fort Street). It's not cheap.

If you like you could pm me a direct question and I'll try to find the answer when I get into work on Monday.

#3 justin240

justin240
  • 15 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 09:32 PM

I am specifically looking for the code on drainage with masonry veneer. (Space or material required between 2" stone veneer and building paper) Also what type of paper installation is required. All codes regarding masonry would actually be helpful :)

#4 Zimquats

Zimquats
  • 299 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 09:39 PM

Hmmm..I'm trying to think if I ever put 2" stone veneer on a condo that you might be living in and have just found out is leeking; and wondering if I'm about to jam myself up lol.

Seriously though, if this is new construction, a lot of the envelope issues are left up to the design engineers. I really can't answer your question right now off the top of my head, but I'll look on Monday and see what I can dig up (after I check to make sure I haven't built anything like that :P ).

#5 justin240

justin240
  • 15 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 10:03 PM

no, i am a masonry contractor that just moved from Calgary and have noticed that some codes are different out here especially regarding water drainage. I would love to have a copy of the codes for my own files...

#6 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 10:12 PM

Oh, yeah, that would be that Coastal Rainforest thing we have going on here.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#7 justin240

justin240
  • 15 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 11:44 PM

lol, u don't say...

#8 davek

davek
  • 670 posts

Posted 16 August 2008 - 07:03 AM

There are copies of the BCBC in the reference sections of the public libraries. If you still need the information come Monday, call the City of Colwood at 478-5999 and ask for Dave in Inspections. I can give you the info over the phone and then fax you a copy of the pertinent sections.

For the most part, you require a 1/2' drainage plane for real stone. Cultured stone is treated as if it were stone dash stucco, which means in most cases a plastic mesh product is installed before the lathe goes on, then a scratch coat is installed. The stone is buttered and attached after the scratch coat has cured. To make matters even more interesting, rainscreening is not required in Victoria or Oak Bay, but IS required everywhere else.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users