Photo

[Bicycles] Issues with bicycles and cyclists in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
2302 replies to this topic

#1981 LJ

LJ
  • 12,729 posts

Posted 25 June 2022 - 07:21 PM

The bike valet facility is open from now until November at Centennial Square. Its regular hours are:

• Monday to Thursday, 7:30 a.m. to 6:30 p.m.

• Friday, 7:30 a.m. to 8:30 p.m.

• Saturday, 10 a.m. to 8:30 p.m.

• Sunday, 10 a.m. to 6:30 p.m.

https://www.timescol...ictoria-5517973

Yeah, and it's free!!  You just have to overlook the $500k of taxpayers money.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#1982 freedom_2008

freedom_2008
  • 78 posts

Posted 25 June 2022 - 09:46 PM

Hmm, I wonder who pays for all the free on street parking for cars… Yes it’s taxpayers.

#1983 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,860 posts

Posted 26 June 2022 - 03:39 AM

Yeah, and it's free!!  You just have to overlook the $500k of taxpayers money.

I don't think the entire $500k was just for the parking facility.

#1984 E2V

E2V
  • 166 posts

Posted 26 June 2022 - 06:24 AM

I recently saw marketing for a new e-bicycle. Frame of carbon fibre, dual batteries and a motor that makes the bike capable of speeds reaching 60kmh. It had, of course, added pedal propulsion, use optional, which gives it a pass to bike and mixed use pathways. Eventually, I hope, decisions will be made as to what’s appropriate for use on the pathways and what should be back on the street. They can start by separating electric assist bicycles from what are basically electric powered motorcycles with added, often unused, pedals.

#1985 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,860 posts

Posted 26 June 2022 - 06:26 AM

I recently saw marketing for a new e-bicycle. Frame of carbon fibre, dual batteries and a motor that makes the bike capable of speeds reaching 60kmh. It had, of course, added pedal propulsion, use optional, which gives it a pass to bike and mixed use pathways. Eventually, I hope, decisions will be made as to what’s appropriate for use on the pathways and what should be back on the street. They can start by separating electric assist bicycles from what are basically electric powered motorcycles with added, often unused, pedals.

Other than speed, what's the main difference between a bike and one of these electrics?    I'm not sure we need to draw the line.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 26 June 2022 - 06:36 AM.

#1986 E2V

E2V
  • 166 posts

Posted 26 June 2022 - 06:59 AM

If not, then pedestrians on mixed use pathways should be facing oncoming bikes not encouraged to be on the right with these rockets approaching silently behind them. If the bike lobby wants to avoid pedestrians walking on both sides they should support a policy of walking on the left where they can see us and we can see them. Better still would be a wider path with three distinct lanes, two for bikes and one for wakers, like the GG near Tyee.

#1987 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,860 posts

Posted 26 June 2022 - 08:31 AM

Seems to me the electric bikes are not much silenter that crank bikes.

People should not walk erratically, and bikes should always signal they approach with an audible. It’s only when neither occurs that an incident happens unfortunately.

#1988 E2V

E2V
  • 166 posts

Posted 26 June 2022 - 08:52 AM

We make a point of not walking erratically. And as a result of being on the left we see the bikes coming and move further left into single file to make more room for them. If we encounter a group of pedestrians we, after making sure it’s clear, move across to the right until we pass so as not to take up the entire lane. If we’re on the right we walk side by side, not single file, as we don’t know when there’s bikes nearby. We can’t see them without turning around. Very few announce their presence and when they do it’s too late to consider moving over to give them more room.
An exception is crossing the blue bridge where we first try to cross on the pedestrian only side and if on the mixed use side we walk single file on the right as it’s too congested to do otherwise and not be in the way.

#1989 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,339 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 26 June 2022 - 12:25 PM

In BC there are limits on what is allowed in bike lanes/mixed paths tied to motor power and assisted speed (32 km/hr). Its similar to most jurisdictions in North  America. What you're describing above falls under the limited speed motorcycle rules likely (70 km/hr limit). Mopeds and scooters (icbc.com)

#1990 Spy Black

Spy Black
  • Banned
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 26 June 2022 - 12:29 PM

Just what we need ... and bunch more "rules" about how and when you can ride a bike with an electric motor attached.

At some point, local, regional, and federal governments just need to STFU and let folks get on with their business of enjoying themselves and (in this case) getting some exercise.

• Matt R., Victoria Watcher and max.bravo like this

#1991 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,339 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 26 June 2022 - 12:34 PM

Its not exactly new...

#1992 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,860 posts

Posted 26 June 2022 - 12:42 PM

I had something along these lines as a kid.

p6txa6p8etr51.jpg

Worked on sidewalks, roads, trails, off-road, parks, open fields, beaches (not as well).  Almost anywhere it wasn't supposed to go.   :thumbsup:

No shocks, all action.  The throttle and centrifugal clutch were both erratic and it didn't brake all that well.  There were other models in the neighbourhood that definitely had no brake mechanism.  You had to put your feet down Flintstones style.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 26 June 2022 - 12:50 PM.

#1993 Tom Braybrook

Tom Braybrook

tom braybrook

• 1,578 posts

Posted 26 June 2022 - 06:26 PM

In BC there are limits on what is allowed in bike lanes/mixed paths tied to motor power and assisted speed (32 km/hr). Its similar to most jurisdictions in North  America. What you're describing above falls under the limited speed motorcycle rules likely (70 km/hr limit). Mopeds and scooters (icbc.com)

tommy's ride

tenways.com

Attached Images

• p3.jpg

#1994 LJ

LJ
  • 12,729 posts

Posted 26 June 2022 - 07:13 PM

Hmm, I wonder who pays for all the free on street parking for cars… Yes it’s taxpayers.

Where is this free on street parking downtown you speak of?

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#1995 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,474 posts

Posted 26 June 2022 - 08:38 PM

Everyone riding those super fast pedal scooters looks like Lenny from the Simpsons. They likely get to charge them for free at the power plant.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1996 freedom_2008

freedom_2008
  • 78 posts

Posted 27 June 2022 - 07:37 AM

Where is this free on street parking downtown you speak of?

There’s lots of free parking on the edges of downtown, like on Pandora east of Cook, Douglas adjacent to Beacon Hill Park, Pembroke near Capital Iron, etc. And outside of downtown virtually every street has free parking. All this parking is paid for by all taxpayers, which of course includes those who don’t drive.

#1997 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,339 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 27 June 2022 - 07:47 AM

tommy's ride

tenways.com

Nice. The price is great too.

Only concern I'd have is dealing with any issues with it if there are no local dealers handling them. I have a Juiced Crosscurrent and unfortunately they left the Canadian market, so any motor/battery/etc. issues will be harder to source parts.

That Tenways by the way, like I pointed out about top speeds:

• Top Speed

For Europe: 25 km/h or 16 mph*

For US: 32 km/h or 20 mph*

*The top speed is set in accordance with local regulations.

#1998 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,474 posts

Posted 27 June 2022 - 09:41 AM

There’s lots of free parking on the edges of downtown, like on Pandora east of Cook, Douglas adjacent to Beacon Hill Park, Pembroke near Capital Iron, etc. And outside of downtown virtually every street has free parking. All this parking is paid for by all taxpayers, which of course includes those who don’t drive.

It's paid for by the businesses that pay the massive taxes to the city, courtesy of their customers, isn't it?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1999 freedom_2008

freedom_2008
  • 78 posts

Posted 27 June 2022 - 11:15 AM

It's paid for by the businesses that pay the massive taxes to the city, courtesy of their customers, isn't it?

Apparently some of the biggest spending customers arrive by bike:

Love them or hate them, research offers financial case for big ...https://www.cbc.ca › news › business › biking-lanes-bu...

#2000 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 27 June 2022 - 11:39 AM

All this parking is paid for by all taxpayers, which of course includes those who don’t drive.

OK good.  When does the city start providing valet parking for cars?

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users