IMG_8684.JPG

IMG_8681.JPG

IMG_8682.JPG

#1343 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 01:44 PM

This leaving them anywhere thing is like litter.
  • VicHockeyFan and Nparker like this
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#1344 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,339 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 13 January 2018 - 01:45 PM

That's a lot of missing helmets.

• Nparker likes this

#1345 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 13 January 2018 - 02:33 PM

I wonder why we're not hearing anything about folks being ticketed for riding these bikes without helmets, as mandated in a provincial law?

It would be interesting to find out if the VicPD have received specific instructions from anybody specifically not to ticket anybody riding one of these green rent-a-bikes without a helmet?

• Nparker likes this

#1346 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,005 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 03:16 PM

This leaving them anywhere thing is like litter.

The u-bike folks place the bikes all over town. I regularly see their staff moving bikes from one location to another.

#1347 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,005 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 03:17 PM

I wonder why we're not hearing anything about folks being ticketed for riding these bikes without helmets, as mandated in a provincial law?

It would be interesting to find out if the VicPD have received specific instructions from anybody specifically not to ticket anybody riding one of these green rent-a-bikes without a helmet?

Like pot shops, the rules only apply if the City wants them to.

• Nparker, rjag, Midnightly and 4 others like this

#1348 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 13 January 2018 - 05:52 PM

Remember about 10 years ago the huge uproar from City Hall about businesses placing billboards on public sidewalks and the resultant clampdown and threats of fines etc....now these businesses pay some serious property taxes...I wonder how they feel now when they see this double standard

#1349 North Shore

North Shore
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 06:14 PM

^^I have also seen that at Blenkinsop/Mt. Doug X. Car stops at crosswalk, impatient driver behind passes on the right at high speed. Insanely dangerous.

Erm, what? I bike that all the time. How would a car pass on the right there, without going fully into the bike lane?

Speaking of, that particular intersection gets a lot of cyclists turning to Lochside trail etc. It's dangerous, but I"m not sure how to make it better.

Exactly.

Shouldn't this be more correctly positioned in the "Issues with vehicles and drivers" thread?  There's no 'issue' with cyclists, or bicycles there - just a huge one with entitled/impatient/dgaf drivers :mad:

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?

#1350 David Bratzer

David Bratzer
  • 516 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 07:25 PM

Some officers have mixed feelings about writing tickets to cyclists for not wearing helmets. Some believe it is worthwhile, others feel it is a waste of time. It doesn't help that government has made it the cheapest violation ticket across all provincial legislation (a measly $29 fine, versus $138 for not wearing a motorcycle helmet).  Cycling infractions are not listed as part of a certified driving abstract. Nor do they affect insurance rates, although to me its common sense that a dangerous, careless cyclist is also going to be a dangerous, careless driver. 

As for myself, I do write tickets for "no helmet." I've probably written a couple of hundred during my career. I think there is value in pulling a cyclist over and, in some circumstances, serving them a ticket (even if the value may not be apparent to the cyclist at the time). I've seen some nasty collisions where a bicycle helmet would have made all the difference. (For the record I've also written lots of tickets to drivers whose actions have endangered cyclists and pedestrians.)

But the issue of ticketing cyclists on the green rental bikes never comes up.  I think I've seen two people (both with helmets) riding these bikes since they came out.  They don't seem to be very popular yet.

#1351 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 08:00 PM

In Victoria, some citizens are definitely more equal than others.
  • Nparker and A Girl is No one like this

#1352 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 01:34 PM

Reading TC letter on the proposed Cook Street lanes... sounds like a really ill-conceived plan. So I guess we can assume they will listen to all the concerns and then do it anyway. :)

Ah, well another street to avoid in future.
  • rjag, Midnightly and A Girl is No one like this

#1353 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 03:05 PM

We can't avoid Cook St., it's our way home.

#1354 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 17 January 2018 - 03:41 PM

The core is being manipulated by a small minority of social engineers that dont care about inconveniencing anyone that cant ride a bike

• Midnightly and A Girl is No one like this

#1355 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 03:55 PM

The core is being manipulated by a small minority of social engineers that dont care about inconveniencing anyone that cant ride a bike

But even beyond the inconvenience (which is bad enough), what happens when emergency vehicles need to get through? Will people be able to get past a bus that has stopped for passengers?
  • rjag likes this

#1356 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 04:14 PM

Let’s leave the emergency vehicles thing out of these discussions. Rarely is their arrival so life and death down to the minute. If it was, why would a sole live at Willis Point?
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#1357 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 07:09 PM

Reading TC letter on the proposed Cook Street lanes... sounds like a really ill-conceived plan. So I guess we can assume they will listen to all the concerns and then do it anyway. :)

Ah, well another street to avoid in future.

You make it sound like the Bikatoria lanes are permanent.  Like any newly paved road, these things will probably be dug up and fixed.  I just hope they don't wait for something to happen between a cyclist and a bus.  

#1358 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,005 posts

Posted 18 January 2018 - 08:05 AM

Some officers have mixed feelings about writing tickets to cyclists for not wearing helmets. Some believe it is worthwhile, others feel it is a waste of time. It doesn't help that government has made it the cheapest violation ticket across all provincial legislation (a measly $29 fine, versus $138 for not wearing a motorcycle helmet).  Cycling infractions are not listed as part of a certified driving abstract. Nor do they affect insurance rates, although to me its common sense that a dangerous, careless cyclist is also going to be a dangerous, careless driver. 

As for myself, I do write tickets for "no helmet." I've probably written a couple of hundred during my career. I think there is value in pulling a cyclist over and, in some circumstances, serving them a ticket (even if the value may not be apparent to the cyclist at the time). I've seen some nasty collisions where a bicycle helmet would have made all the difference. (For the record I've also written lots of tickets to drivers whose actions have endangered cyclists and pedestrians.)

But the issue of ticketing cyclists on the green rental bikes never comes up.  I think I've seen two people (both with helmets) riding these bikes since they came out.  They don't seem to be very popular yet.

Or $167 for not wearing a seatbelt. The fines are in place to protect people from themselves. When someone winds up with a serious head or brain injury and requires extended support then they are usually not the ones paying (financially) for it. That joy falls to me (ie the taxpayer). $29 is pretty much a joke.

#1359 Jason-L

Jason-L
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 18 January 2018 - 09:36 AM

Let’s leave the emergency vehicles thing out of these discussions. Rarely is their arrival so life and death down to the minute. If it was, why would a sole live at Willis Point?

I expect because it enjoys the rocks and the feeding in the ocean around there?  Sole are fairly resilient fish, even if they don't typically use bike lanes to get to and from their bottom feeding.

• VicHockeyFan, aastra, Nparker and 5 others like this

#1360 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 18 January 2018 - 09:48 AM

I saw a sole in a bike lane yesterday.
  • GaryRanson likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users