[Bicycles] Issues with bicycles and cyclists in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
2302 replies to this topic

#1441 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 20 January 2018 - 05:31 PM

Here is the 2016 bike to work data helpfully mapped out: https://censusmapper....4902/-123.4544

And were did the data come from?
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#1442 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 20 January 2018 - 05:33 PM

My office overlooks the bike lane... I observe emptiness.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#1443 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 20 January 2018 - 05:40 PM

I cry foul too.  Look at all that Fairfield and Oak Bay waterfront with bike-to-workers.  Nonsense.

(It's also very high for Trial Island)

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 20 January 2018 - 05:41 PM.

• sdwright.vic likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#1444 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 20 January 2018 - 08:08 PM

I cry foul too.  Look at all that Fairfield and Oak Bay waterfront with bike-to-workers.  Nonsense.

(It's also very high for Trial Island)

Just because you tick a box does not mean its true, especially when it comes to things like health surveys or lifestyle questions, people tend to not be 100% honest when it comes to 'presented self' as opposed to 'perceived self' as opposed to 'actual self'

• sebberry, sdwright.vic and A Girl is No one like this

#1445 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 20 January 2018 - 09:54 PM

Census - just like it says on the page. You are welcome to verify it here:

http://www12.statcan...d/index-eng.cfm

#1446 nerka

nerka
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 20 January 2018 - 11:19 PM

Fairfield and Oak Bay are basically the perfect distance from downtown for bike commuting. Far enough that walking is slow, Close enough that biking takes a trivial amount of time.

Small sample size but of my 11 nearest south Fairfield neighbors who commute to work, 2 bike nearly 100% of the time, 1 more often than not, 2 occasionally, 6 never.

• rjag likes this

#1447 North Shore

North Shore
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 09:46 PM

licensing has definitely saved thousands and thousands of lives over the decades by educating the holder of the license how to drive properly.

Insurance IS NOT designed to "Stop" accidents or poor driving skills (as you indicated above),  but it's there to Cover Damages, injury, and loss of life.

As a cyclist, what makes you think that you should be exempt from insurance coverage or obtaining a license after going through testing to prove to the province that you are competent to be on the road, just as driver's of motor vehicles have to do? I am curious.  If you cause an accident while riding your bike, should you not be held responsible for that? If you violate a traffic law should you not be held responsible for that, just as drivers of automobiles are? If you fail to to obey the laws of BC while riding in a street or in traffic should you be exempt from those laws? 

That's what it sounds like you are trying to communicate.

I'd imagine that the damages/injury/loss of life caused by cyclists pales in comparison to the same caused by cars.  

As previously mentioned - I already hold a drivers licence for cars and motorcycles, so I'd like to think that confers on me at least a minimum amount of competency? [While we are on that subject, it should be mandatory to take a practical and theoretical retest of your DL at renewal time.  Since most of us were issued our licences, rules have been changed, and new procedures - such as bike lanes and roundabouts - have been instituted, with SFA in the way of continuing education on those changes to the general driving public.]

To the subject of accidents; our accountability is pretty much guaranteed as the more vulnerable party to any accident - if we're lucky we'll just escape with a little road rash and some bruises. Sadly, regardless of who's at fault, (and I'd hazard a guess that most often it's not the cyclist - being vulnerable tends to make one a little more defensive...) more often than not, a collision with a car leads to an ambulance ride and a hospital stay.

Cyclists can be held responsible for traffic violations, with tickets and the like.  But, just like motor vehicles and their near-constant bending/breaking of the rules, enforcement is slim to non-existent.

Nowhere did I suggest that bicycles should have an exemption from the rules of the road.  I just think that licencing and insurance are a huge and impractical over-reaction to a very minor problem.

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?

#1448 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 05:00 AM

removed

Edited by Bingo, 17 February 2018 - 05:29 AM.

#1449 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 09 November 2018 - 08:42 AM

Saw some cyclist rage this morning along Pandora. A vehicle that looked like it was from out of town (a car dealership sticker that wasn’t from around here) nosed out of the McDonald’s parking lot and partially obstructed the lanes. Two cyclists lost. there. minds. One stuck around and continued lambasting the driver while blocking traffic from leaving the parking lot.

Stay classy, Victoria, stay classy...

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1450 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 09 November 2018 - 08:44 AM

I lose my sh!t when people screw up their theres.

• rjag likes this

#1451 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 09 November 2018 - 08:58 AM

People are just so angry these days whether they ride a bike, walk or drive they all have one thing in common 

• sebberry and A Girl is No one like this

#1452 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 09 November 2018 - 09:02 AM

People are just so angry these days whether they ride a bike, walk or drive they all have one thing in common 

Yup.  Certainly feels like less amounts of "community kindness".  You blow through my crosswalk, I finger you, etc etc.

• rjag likes this

#1453 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 09 November 2018 - 01:55 PM

If I were visiting a place as a driver and got yelled at like that, I likely wouldn't return.

#1454 kxl

kxl
  • 206 posts

Posted 10 November 2018 - 03:46 PM

https://www.saanichn...aking-cyclists/

Someone please clarify: at intersections along the Galloping Goose (examples: Dupplin, Kelvin, Ardersier, Culduthel), are cyclists on the trail supposed to stop and dismount?

Edited by kxl, 10 November 2018 - 03:47 PM.

#1455 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 10 November 2018 - 04:31 PM

Someone please clarify: at intersections along the Galloping Goose (examples: Dupplin, Kelvin, Ardersier, Culduthel), are cyclists on the trail supposed to stop and dismount?

I'm pretty sure for any crosswalk except those weird bumpy lined ones (like the ones on Richmond/Lansdowne https://www.google.c...6h,73.74t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s6a8u2zH5k_HbHlXsyppiZg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en) cyclists are supposed to dismount. Personally as long as they slow down and aren't hitting pedestrians I don't care if they stay on or get off though.

#1456 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 10 November 2018 - 04:34 PM

No, they aren't. Saanich has a bylaw that says that any crossing of a trail (incl. regional trails), people can bikes can ride across.

#1457 Wayne

Wayne
  • 765 posts

Posted 10 November 2018 - 07:03 PM

No/ No dismount. But stop if there is a stop sign (often ignored).

Don't ride thru a crosswalk, which is for pedestrians.

Cant have it both ways, cyclists (I am one).

#1458 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 10 November 2018 - 08:30 PM

No/ No dismount. But stop if there is a stop sign (often ignored).

Don't ride thru a crosswalk, which is for pedestrians.

Cant have it both ways, cyclists (I am one).

Wrong. 8.16 (b)

https://www.saanich....002-no-8382.pdf
  • Baro, Wayne and nerka like this

#1459 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 10 November 2018 - 08:34 PM

It should be mandatory for a municipality with a bylaw permitting cyclists to cross at trail crossings to post signage for the drivers alerting them to said bylaw.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#1460 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 10 November 2018 - 09:13 PM

It should be mandatory for a municipality with a bylaw permitting cyclists to cross at trail crossings to post signage for the drivers alerting them to said bylaw.

Shockingly, another thing we agree on. Signage on where people can/cannot ride bikes is terrible

• Bingo likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users