Photo

[Bicycles] Issues with bicycles and cyclists in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
2302 replies to this topic

#1601 LJ

LJ
  • 12,733 posts

Posted 06 June 2019 - 07:23 PM

Want to park right outside your destination, check out Campbell River. Super convenient parking options. 

I don't know, I watch a lot of TV and those guys all find parking in big cities right in front of their destination all the time.

• Mike K. likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#1602 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 07 June 2019 - 06:54 AM

I watch a lot of TV too and they like to just get out of their car and walk away and not lock it and it’s totally unrealistic. And now I get to do it and it feels so wrong.

#1603 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 07 June 2019 - 07:36 AM

Bam! Thanks for that.

$10 says Ismo will build the City’s first bike storage facility at City Hall!

It will not be a facility I don't think but more like pods all over.

#1604 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,507 posts

Posted 07 June 2019 - 07:48 AM

All over city hall? :)

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1605 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,711 posts

Posted 07 June 2019 - 07:56 AM

All over city hall? :)

I've often suspected members of the CoV council emerged from pods.

#1606 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 07 June 2019 - 08:44 AM

Considering the COV owns acres of sidewalk and sundry space, I like this idea.

To date, I had envisioned multiple large singular spaces with 30 or 40 lockers in each (which would have required relatively large open areas) ... but I like the idea of three or four (or more) lockers placed here and there around town.

Less visual impact as well ... far less than things like the big garbage or cardboard bins that are scattered everywhere around town.

Incorporate an attractive locker design with a planter and you've probably got a pretty nice looking and 100% functional downtown accessory.

#1607 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,344 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 07 June 2019 - 09:50 AM

Considering the COV owns acres of sidewalk and sundry space, I like this idea.

To date, I had envisioned multiple large singular spaces with 30 or 40 lockers in each (which would have required relatively large open areas) ... but I like the idea of three or four (or more) lockers placed here and there around town.

Less visual impact as well ... far less than things like the big garbage or cardboard bins that are scattered everywhere around town.

Incorporate an attractive locker design with a planter and you've probably got a pretty nice looking and 100% functional downtown accessory.

Paint them like BC Hydro does their boxes.

• Cassidy likes this

#1608 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 07 June 2019 - 12:01 PM

Paint them like BC Hydro does their boxes.

I think that's a wrap.

• Ismo07 and Cassidy like this

#1609 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,344 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 07 June 2019 - 12:15 PM

Yeah, maybe, but that then; they can look great. First Nations art, Chinatown art etc. depending on the location or something.

• Cassidy and DustMagnet like this

#1610 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 10 June 2019 - 09:33 AM

Some might question the logic of putting Victorias first bike lockers in the Square, a location that's crawling with miscreants and thieves 24/7 ... but then as I said earlier, the first one has to go somewhere!

Isn't that what lockers are for? to protect against thievery? 

Why would you put lockers where bike are NOT being stolen?

• Danma likes this

Lake Side Buoy - LEGO Nut - History Nerd - James Bay resident

#1611 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 10 June 2019 - 09:42 AM

Some might question the logic of putting Victorias first bike lockers in the Square, a location that's crawling with miscreants and thieves 24/7 ... but then as I said earlier, the first one has to go somewhere!

One would hope that by introducing more active uses to the Square it will continue to be reclaimed as an attractive public space. That was the goal with those temporary whale sculptures. Having people move in and out and around the bike parking area would increase the number of "eyes on the street," especially if such a facility were glassed in.

Of course there is always the danger that it becomes more of a display case for potential thieves, but that's where the secure part of secure bike parking is important.

#1612 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 10 June 2019 - 09:55 AM

You really do need to parse the subtly in not only specific posts to the forum, but also the assorted subtitles associated with the subject matter itself.

It might be prudent if you posted in a more generalized fashion, as opposed to responding to my posts specifically ... with observations appearing to require answers, but completely unrelated to anything being discussed.

#1613 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,507 posts

Posted 10 June 2019 - 10:38 AM

One would hope that by introducing more active uses to the Square it will continue to be reclaimed as an attractive public space. That was the goal with those temporary whale sculptures. Having people move in and out and around the bike parking area would increase the number of "eyes on the street," especially if such a facility were glassed in.

I believe the whales were a huge flop, in terms of increasing activity in the square, and resulted in a bit of drama when the organization that installed the safety mats around them was not reimbursed after being told (the claim goes) that Councillor Isitt said the City would pay for them. Speaking of which, does anyone know if the situation has been settled and the safety mat provider paid?

• Nparker likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1614 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 10 June 2019 - 11:13 AM

...the organization that installed the safety mats around them was not reimbursed after being told (the claim goes) ...the City would pay for them...

Breach of contract?*

*hilarious whale-related pun

#1615 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,711 posts

Posted 10 June 2019 - 11:15 AM

Might be a kind of a legal grey (whale) area.

#1616 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 10 June 2019 - 11:17 AM

Something with lien/baleen would be very clever here.

#1617 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,711 posts

Posted 10 June 2019 - 11:19 AM

Now you're just trying to elicit a response on porpoise.

#1618 Torrontes

Torrontes
  • 320 posts

Posted 10 June 2019 - 11:47 AM

It's a fluke that no splashguards were required.  :)

#1619 Tom Braybrook

Tom Braybrook

tom braybrook

• 1,578 posts

Posted 10 June 2019 - 12:20 PM

you would think they would want to get it over with... seal the deal, so to speak...

Edited by tommy, 10 June 2019 - 12:20 PM.

#1620 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,344 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 10 June 2019 - 12:26 PM

You're all a bunch of blowhards who have to point out your own puns.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Facebook (1)