Photo

[Bicycles] Issues with bicycles and cyclists in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
2302 replies to this topic

#1641 Brantastic

Brantastic
  • 924 posts

Posted 27 June 2019 - 09:26 PM

I live on McKenzie near Saanich Rd and cycle through that intersection about 4-5 times a week. I have to admit, I practically never press the button for the flashing lights, but it's mainly due to the awkward placement of the button as a bollard is placed such that you can't bike up to the button. I'd need to do an awkward lateral scoot with my bike to reach it. Perhaps an extension for the button similar to what they have at the corner of Haultain and Cook would partially solve the problem. I always at least check for cars before I go, and never blast right through.

#1642 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 27 June 2019 - 09:59 PM

I live on McKenzie near Saanich Rd and cycle through that intersection about 4-5 times a week. I have to admit, I practically never press the button for the flashing lights, but it's mainly due to the awkward placement of the button as a bollard is placed such that you can't bike up to the button. I'd need to do an awkward lateral scoot with my bike to reach it. Perhaps an extension for the button similar to what they have at the corner of Haultain and Cook would partially solve the problem. I always at least check for cars before I go, and never blast right through.

What would you think of an approach sensor that automatically triggers the amber flashing lights as trail users near the crossing?

• rjag likes this

#1643 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 28 June 2019 - 05:55 AM

Don't you have to walk your bike across anyway? I thought it was only crosswalks with those elephant feet or whatever you could ride through although I guess that's normally for sidewalk intersections and no idea if the same applys for paths

#1644 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 28 June 2019 - 06:06 AM

Streets and Traffic bylaw allows cycling across crosswalks that connect major trails. Doesn’t matter if there are elephants feet.
  • Danma, Cats4Hire and DustMagnet like this

#1645 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 28 June 2019 - 07:01 AM

Streets and Traffic bylaw allows cycling across crosswalks that connect major trails. Doesn’t matter if there are elephants feet.

To further clarify - elephant's feet (or crossbikes) have no legal basis anywhere outside of Vancouver, whose bylaw explicitly mentions it. What allows people to ride across the crosswalks is a bylaw. Victoria, Saanich, Esquimalt, Colwood and Langford have such a bylaw. View Royal, Central Saanich, North Saanich and Sidney (that I know of) do not.

#1646 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 28 June 2019 - 09:03 AM

To further clarify - elephant's feet (or crossbikes) have no legal basis anywhere outside of Vancouver, whose bylaw explicitly mentions it. What allows people to ride across the crosswalks is a bylaw. Victoria, Saanich, Esquimalt, Colwood and Langford have such a bylaw. View Royal, Central Saanich, North Saanich and Sidney (that I know of) do not.

I wonder why they painted elephant's feet on the crosswalk where the Goose crosses Burnside Rd at Watkiss Way?  That's firmly in View Royal, but you say there's no legal basis except for a bylaw which View Royal does not have.  Was it for future consideration?

EDIT: Oh yeah, they also put in bicycle-specific lights, and bike sensors under the asphalt.

Edited by DustMagnet, 28 June 2019 - 09:04 AM.

#1647 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 28 June 2019 - 09:34 AM

I wonder why they painted elephant's feet on the crosswalk where the Goose crosses Burnside Rd at Watkiss Way?  That's firmly in View Royal, but you say there's no legal basis except for a bylaw which View Royal does not have.  Was it for future consideration?

EDIT: Oh yeah, they also put in bicycle-specific lights, and bike sensors under the asphalt.

View Royal is working on a bylaw to remove the dismount requirement, but it has been very slow going

#1648 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 21 July 2019 - 11:46 AM

Island Voices: Pedestrian asks: How do I stay safe from cyclists?

https://www.timescol...ists-1.23891520

Please tell me what I can do to stop this abuse of pedestrians by a few cyclists who do not seem to understand that cycle lanes and roads are for them and sidewalks are for pedestrians.

"Speak softly and jam a big stick in their spokes." - Theodore Roosevelt, probably.

I am encouraged at least by the recognition that cyclists aren't a singular hive-mind entity.  It's gracious of the writer to suggest it's a lack of understanding, and not just People Being Arseholes but...

As for the JSB, maybe the south side needs some "kissing gates" to impede non-pedestrians.

#1649 Brantastic

Brantastic
  • 924 posts

Posted 21 July 2019 - 05:21 PM

That article is a bit hyperbolic. Cyclists on the sidewalk are affecting the writer's mental health and is afraid of walking on sidewalks? I also have a hard time believing they have been "verbally abused at least a dozen times by cyclists" within a two month period. I walk, bike, and drive, and rarely have I experienced verbal abuse from cyclists.

I would agree that cyclists on the sidewalk can be irritating, especially in dense pedestrian-heavy areas, or where protected bike lanes are right next to them. I especially dislike it as these small few contribute to the perception that most people have of "the arrogant cyclist". People post that one photo of that one cyclist on the sidewalk on Facebook and use it as evidence that the construction of cycling infrastructure is a waste.

However, I find most of the time, cyclists on the sidewalk are an indication that cycling infrastructure in the area is inadequate. I live on McKenzie (Royal Woods, between Quadra and Saanich), and have a clear view of the street from my bedroom window. I'd say about 60-70% of the cyclists going by are on the sidewalk, and I don't blame them one bit (especially as it is a pedestrian dead-zone). As long as pedestrian traffic is minimal, and cyclists are respectful of what few pedestrians there are (by either slowing down considerably or getting off to walk it as they go by), I take no issue as they are on the sidewalk for their own safety.

On the topic of pedestrian/cyclist collisions, it would be really nice if pedestrians would look both ways before crossing the Pandora and Fort bike lanes, rather than walking out directly in front of me with little time for me to stop!

#1650 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 21 July 2019 - 06:27 PM

...t would be really nice if pedestrians would look both ways before crossing the Pandora and Fort bike lanes, rather than walking out directly in front of me with little time for me to stop!

So you're the cyclist who stops for pedestrians. I knew there had to be one.

• rjag and pennymurphy2000 like this

#1651 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 21 July 2019 - 07:20 PM

I have to report that a lady riding her bike on Henderson stopped for me and my dog at a marked crosswalk! I was shocked! I thanked her and waved her on as the road was clear after her. 

we both smiled at each other and got on with our day...

• Nparker and A Girl is No one like this

#1652 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 21 July 2019 - 09:22 PM

Blaming cyclists for most of the people I see riding bikes on sidewalks downtown is like blaming grocery shoppers for the people pushing shopping carts on sidewalks downtown. The root cause is not cycling or shopping at Thrifty's. 

• A Girl is No one likes this

#1653 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 22 July 2019 - 05:41 AM

I take no issue as they are on the sidewalk for their own safety.

Whether you take issue with it or not, it remains against the law in B.C. as specified in the Motor Vehicle Act.

Selective "obedience" of assorted B.C. laws really isn't a very powerful strategy to build up support for cycling (or cyclists) ... and the fact that many cyclists have a very selective, and sometimes very obvious take on which laws they feel they're required to obey, and which laws they don't bother to obey is pretty transparent in/on/around the CRD, easily seen by anybody who bothers to look ... and indeed quite solidly confirmed in your post.

Edited by Cassidy, 22 July 2019 - 05:42 AM.

• Nparker and tedward like this

#1654 laconic

laconic
  • 741 posts

Posted 22 July 2019 - 08:32 AM

".. and the fact that many vehicle drivers have a very selective, and sometimes very obvious take on which laws they feel they're required to obey, and which laws they don't bother to obey is pretty transparent in/on/around the CRD, easily seen by anybody who bothers to look"

Every morning and afternoon I spend a few minutes watching the traffic at Esquimalt/Tyee. Since the Bay street bridge closure, at every light cycle there are one to three cars blocking the intersection, crosswalk and bike lanes. So far no enforcement. 

It is very difficult to find any reports of cyclists injuring pedestrians on city sidewalks, yet we turn a blind eye to injuries caused by vehicles. Having just returned from Berlin, it is the norm for cyclists to ride on the sidewalks, and through the middle of busy "pedestrian malls". The law in this province is a legacy of the car-centric mentality that turn bicycles into vehicles. There are many instances where it is safer for bicycles to go on the sidewalk rather than mixing with distracted drivers who "don't see you"

• Brantastic likes this

#1655 Brantastic

Brantastic
  • 924 posts

Posted 22 July 2019 - 10:29 AM

Whether you take issue with it or not, it remains against the law in B.C. as specified in the Motor Vehicle Act.

Selective "obedience" of assorted B.C. laws really isn't a very powerful strategy to build up support for cycling (or cyclists) ... and the fact that many cyclists have a very selective, and sometimes very obvious take on which laws they feel they're required to obey, and which laws they don't bother to obey is pretty transparent in/on/around the CRD, easily seen by anybody who bothers to look ... and indeed quite solidly confirmed in your post.

To me, it comes down to safety first. I really couldn't care less what the law says if following the law puts me in a very dangerous situation.

#1656 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 22 July 2019 - 11:02 AM

To me, it comes down to safety first. I really couldn't care less what the law says if following the law puts me in a very dangerous situation.

Thanks for demonstrating my point perfectly in terms of cyclists and their opinion of the laws that apply to them.

• Nparker likes this

#1657 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 22 July 2019 - 11:04 AM

".. and the fact that many vehicle drivers have a very selective, and sometimes very obvious take on which laws they feel they're required to obey, and which laws they don't bother to obey is pretty transparent in/on/around the CRD, easily seen by anybody who bothers to look"

Every morning and afternoon I spend a few minutes watching the traffic at Esquimalt/Tyee. Since the Bay street bridge closure, at every light cycle there are one to three cars blocking the intersection, crosswalk and bike lanes. So far no enforcement. 

It is very difficult to find any reports of cyclists injuring pedestrians on city sidewalks, yet we turn a blind eye to injuries caused by vehicles. Having just returned from Berlin, it is the norm for cyclists to ride on the sidewalks, and through the middle of busy "pedestrian malls". The law in this province is a legacy of the car-centric mentality that turn bicycles into vehicles. There are many instances where it is safer for bicycles to go on the sidewalk rather than mixing with distracted drivers who "don't see you"

Dude, you really have to "up" your straw-man game.

My post was about a cyclist stating quite succinctly that the laws of the Province of British Columbia as proscribed to cyclists simply didn't apply to him.

#1658 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 22 July 2019 - 11:41 AM

Dude, you really have to "up" your straw-man game.

My post was about a cyclist stating quite succinctly that the laws of the Province of British Columbia as proscribed to cyclists simply didn't apply to him.

Not all all.  He said he would not follow them, not that they didn't apply.

#1659 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 22 July 2019 - 11:42 AM

Thanks for demonstrating my point perfectly in terms of cyclists and their opinion of the laws that apply to them.

#notallcyclists

#1660 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 22 July 2019 - 11:51 AM

Not all all.  He said he would not follow them, not that they didn't apply.

I'm not a pedant though, so rather than try to demonstrate my cleverness and parse out every last possible meaning of any given word or phrase ... I simply said what I meant (and you very clearly understood me).

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users