[Bicycles] Issues with bicycles and cyclists in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
2235 replies to this topic

#1681 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,174 posts

Posted 24 July 2019 - 08:45 AM

The bigger question is, did jonny pick-up Fido's deuce?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1682 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 24 July 2019 - 09:19 AM

When somebody goes on and on for literally years about incredibly minor laws that cyclists break (like riding on the sidewalk...lol) they better have an absolutely squeaky clean record. I don’t even want to hear about a single parking ticket or an instance where their car tire went over a solid white line.

Then look away - that's gatekeeping.

If only he who is without sin may speak, then it's going to be dead silent.

#1683 Love the rock

Love the rock
  • 941 posts

Posted 24 July 2019 - 11:59 AM

Cyclists in Montreal is suing the city after hitting pothole ,breaking her noise and three teeth .cbc news

Edited by Love the rock, 24 July 2019 - 12:00 PM.

• A Girl is No one likes this

#1684 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 24 July 2019 - 01:48 PM

Cyclists in Montreal is suing the city after hitting pothole ,breaking her noise and three teeth .cbc news

Since Quebec has a law exempting tires and suspension from damages citizens may claim for after hitting a pothole I guess the personal injury angle is the next step.

#1685 Love the rock

Love the rock
  • 941 posts

Posted 24 July 2019 - 02:00 PM

Since Quebec has a law exempting tires and suspension from damages citizens may claim for after hitting a pothole I guess the personal injury angle is the next step.

They posted a photo she looks pretty beat up

#1686 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 24 July 2019 - 04:15 PM

The bigger question is, did jonny pick-up Fido's deuce?

Always.

#1687 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,404 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 08:34 AM

I am not sure advertising that you willfully choose to break the law is the best way to make your argument.

...Motorists complaining about no helmets and riding on the sidewalk need to get their baby blankets and have a nap. Bicycling responsibly is an exercise in risk mitigation. I do not wear a helmet and I have no intention of ever doing so; this is because my riding style is slow and measured. My personal risk analysis tells me that a helmet would be superfluous for me...

https://www.timescol...rake-1.23943278

I have never been in an auto accident. My personal risk analysis tells me that a seatbelt is superfluous for me.  :whyme:

#1688 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,174 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 08:49 AM

Meh, whatever. Go ahead and don't wear the helmet. You don't need to convince society of anything.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1689 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 09:24 AM

I am not sure advertising that you willfully choose to break the law is the best way to make your argument.
I have never been in an auto accident. My personal risk analysis tells me that a seatbelt is superfluous for me. :whyme:

A serious contender to become Victoria's next Bicycle Mayor.
  • Nparker and pennymurphy2000 like this

#1690 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,404 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 09:59 AM

A serious contender to become Victoria's next Bicycle Mayor.

Or at the very least a member of the Bicycle Council or Bicycle Family.

• A Girl is No one and rmpeers like this

#1691 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,328 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 10:20 AM

some type of bike park has opened in view royal.

#1692 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 12 September 2019 - 10:30 AM

some type of bike park has opened in view royal.

Probably better in the infrastructure thread rather than the Idiots On Bikes thread, but yeah they built a "pump track".  I think it's been done for a little while but the Grand Opening is this Saturday.

https://www.viewroya...royal-park.html

You are invited to the Bike Track Grand Opening at View Royal Park on Sept 14, 1pm-3pm featuring: ribbon cutting, cake, and bike skills training provided by The Cycling Co.!

Oh, maybe this is the right thread. :)

#1693 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,328 posts

Posted 19 September 2019 - 03:24 AM

A college student in Victoria is frustrated after purchasing an electric bike this summer and receiving two tickets resulting in about $600 in towing fees and fines, including one for not having insurance that doesn’t exist in B.C.

Jason McCracken, a student at Camosun, said he was ticketed for riding his e-bike without insurance, even though ICBC does not offer insurance for his “motor-assisted cycle.”

https://www.vicnews....onfusing-rules/

#1694 Mattjvd

Mattjvd
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 19 September 2019 - 12:12 PM

I have never been in an auto accident. My personal risk analysis tells me that a seatbelt is superfluous for me. :whyme:

Wow, his 'risk assesment' is something else. It doesn't matter what speed you started at. Heck if you're standing still and fall and hit your head on concrete, you'll likely suffer a TBI.
  • Nparker and sebberry like this

#1695 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,328 posts

Posted 19 September 2019 - 02:19 PM

When police stopped Evan Laine while he was riding his electric scooter on Finlayson Street to hand him a $600 ticket, the officer was unmoved by pleas to let it go with a warning.

Laine had only just bought the machine and hadn’t installed the pedals. As far as the officer was concerned, the absence of pedals meant the machine was a motor scooter and required a licence plate and insurance.

https://www.timescol...licy-1.23950695

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 19 September 2019 - 02:20 PM.

• Nparker likes this

#1696 Danma

Danma
  • 888 posts

Posted 19 September 2019 - 04:42 PM

Yep yep yep. Whoever sold it to him, shouldn't have let him leave without pedals. The rules are super clear on this.

#1697 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,174 posts

Posted 19 September 2019 - 05:22 PM

They absolutely are. Some bike dealers do highlight the option of removing the pedals, though. I think this will be a very rude awakening.

Know it all.

#1698 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 28 September 2019 - 09:54 AM

They should simply allow them to be licensed.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#1699 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,328 posts

Posted 04 November 2019 - 10:38 AM

something called TapBike seems to be operating from some greater victoria hotels.

https://tapbike.com/...hare-locations/

#1700 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 04 November 2019 - 10:55 AM

something called TapBike seems to be operating from some greater victoria hotels.

https://tapbike.com/...hare-locations/

Let's hope it will be a huge success like the ubike program the mayor found in China.
  • Nparker, http and Love the rock like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users