Photo

[Bicycles] Issues with bicycles and cyclists in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
2302 replies to this topic

#1701 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 04 November 2019 - 11:10 AM

Of course the most popular program here remains StealBike®.

• Nparker, Love the rock, Mattjvd and 4 others like this

#1702 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,538 posts

Posted 04 November 2019 - 06:01 PM

Lol!

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1703 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,997 posts

Posted 04 November 2019 - 06:09 PM

Of course the most popular program here remains StealBike®.

i truly think bike lock/security companies are lagging behind the theft epidemic.  but maybe that's just because people (bike owners) don't think paying for an expensive lock or tracking / remote tamper warning device is worthwhile.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 04 November 2019 - 06:10 PM.

#1704 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 04 November 2019 - 09:53 PM

i truly think bike lock/security companies are lagging behind the theft epidemic.  but maybe that's just because people (bike owners) don't think paying for an expensive lock or tracking / remote tamper warning device is worthwhile.

Peruse YouTube for a few moments and you'll find the most expensive locks are compromised typically within 30 seconds or so.  It's not a problem you can throw money at yet - that is no one has produced an undefeatable system yet.

As for live tracking systems - you'll be able to trace the component of the bike the tracker is installed in.  The rest of the parts are scattered to the four winds.

The solution to bike theft lies not in the cleverness of security, but it in applying consequences to the the activity.  Good luck.

• Daveyboy, A Girl is No one and FogPub like this

#1705 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,146 posts

Posted 04 November 2019 - 10:25 PM

Sadly there are hundreds of bikes that can be picked up between $25-45 at asset disposal. I assume that the police come across them in their travels.

I think an exploding smart seat would do the trick. If it detected an unfamiliar pair of cojones or lack thereof......boom. It wouldn't take long for the word to get out...and possibly an octave higher.

#1706 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,997 posts

Posted 05 November 2019 - 04:15 AM

blowing up balls is never the answer.

apart from some sophisticated rings that operate in some cities i’m not convinced the average thief has the 30-second tool set.

i just know that if car or pet or child theft was as rampant we’d have solutions.

and it’s indeed odd so many bikes go unclaimed then to the police auction.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 05 November 2019 - 04:17 AM.

• Sparky likes this

#1707 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,538 posts

Posted 05 November 2019 - 07:21 AM

Isn't it interesting that stealing a $1,000 motorcycle is considered grand theft auto, but stealing a $5,000 bike seems like an acceptable practice in our society?

• http and sebberry like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1708 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,997 posts

Posted 05 November 2019 - 07:40 AM

this is certainly how many feel:

https://twitter.com/TristinHopper

• rjag likes this

#1709 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,997 posts

Posted 14 November 2019 - 06:38 AM

Saanich man discovers hidden corners of city while cycling every street in Victoria

https://www.vicnews....et-in-victoria/

#1710 Brantastic

Brantastic
  • 924 posts

Posted 14 November 2019 - 01:33 PM

Pretty cool. I have to say that's one of my favourite things about cycling - getting to know the city on a micro-level, finding new things you wouldn't have otherwise discovered in a car.

• Matt R., A Girl is No one and Victoria Watcher like this

#1711 aastra

aastra
  • 20,749 posts

Posted 14 November 2019 - 04:25 PM

"There’s no big hidden things, but there’s lots of little hidden things,"

The "hidden gems" list might suggest otherwise (a big chunk of the city has been added over the years, including things like Fisherman's Wharf, the Selkirk waterfront, Government House, Gonzales Hill, etc.).

I applaud him for doing this. I've mused about it before, but he actually went and did it. Maybe for an encore he could try parking a car in every parking space at Uptown. That would make for some solid YouTube content.

#1712 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,997 posts

Posted 14 November 2019 - 04:29 PM

tristin hopper had mused the other day about finding the shortest path (car or bike) required to touch all 13 municipalities in one trip.

that sounds like a job for aastra.

i think it would look a bit like a backwards "L" with the top end touching north saanich and the left leg end touching sooke.  the 90-degree angle corner would touch oak bay.  the horizontal would need a bit of a blip up into highlands.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 14 November 2019 - 04:34 PM.

#1713 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,538 posts

Posted 14 November 2019 - 08:00 PM

If you think cycling is good, try walking. You’ll see the city in an extraordinarily different lense
  • rjag, jasmineshinga and rmpeers like this

Know it all.

#1714 Brantastic

Brantastic
  • 924 posts

Posted 15 November 2019 - 10:06 AM

If you think cycling is good, try walking. You’ll see the city in an extraordinarily different lense

I've never walked before but will keep that in mind. Thanks for the pro tip!

• weirdie, Greg, RFS and 3 others like this

#1715 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 15 November 2019 - 12:08 PM

Found the guy posting from the Axiom.

#1716 aastra

aastra
  • 20,749 posts

Posted 15 November 2019 - 12:21 PM

I'm still waiting for somebody to walk a bike on every street.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#1717 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 15 November 2019 - 03:38 PM

I'm still waiting for somebody to walk a bike on every street.

I don't think you can do that... walk a bike on every sidewalk maybe.  It would be surreal to see pelotons of Spandex Warriors just walking their bikes around town.  Not single file of course.  Never single file.*

* To be fair there probably isn't any law against walking two or more abreast like there is riding.

#1718 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,538 posts

Posted 15 November 2019 - 09:41 PM

Walk the neighbourhoods you’ve never walked, is what I’m saying.

I spent a lot of few time over the years walking Victoria, Esquimalt, Saanich and Oak Bay, hours on end, by night. It eventually became a thing among my friends and we’d set off for the night exploring the city.
  • rjag likes this

Know it all.

#1719 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 16 November 2019 - 08:11 AM

Walk the neighbourhoods you’ve never walked, is what I’m saying.

I spent a lot of few time over the years walking Victoria, Esquimalt, Saanich and Oak Bay, hours on end, by night. It eventually became a thing among my friends and we’d set off for the night exploring the city.

Thats why I have a dog, I see so much more from just walking and mixing my routes up

• Mike K. likes this

#1720 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 16 November 2019 - 09:12 AM

It's amazing how many unexplored pockets there are in Victoria that you never see because there's no arterial streets and no commercial. You can live here your whole life and know your way around every municipality but you turn off a feeder street and suddenly you're in this unfamiliar territory. A bike is the perfect way to find them. Garage sales are a practical way to explore. 

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users