Photo

[Bicycles] Issues with bicycles and cyclists in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
1730 replies to this topic

#1721 tommy

tommy
  • 586 posts

Posted 16 November 2019 - 11:14 AM

It's amazing how many unexplored pockets there are in Victoria that you never see because there's no arterial streets and no commercial. You can live here your whole life and know your way around every municipality but you turn off a feeder street and suddenly you're in this unfamiliar territory. A bike is the perfect way to find them. Garage sales are a practical way to explore. 

also...Secret Beaches of Greater Victoria .... https://www.thriftbo...30&b.oos&b.list

#1722 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher
  • 15,333 posts

Posted 04 August 2020 - 06:43 AM

On a Saturday night in July, Aidan O’Connell, 21, locked his Norco CCX to a Herald Street bike rack and proceeded to meet friends for dinner. When he returned three hours later to collect it, the bike—and the pole—were gone.

“I’ve had every single bike that I’ve ever owned stolen,” O’Connell told The Capital.  “It was pretty crazy. They actually pulled the bike poll out of the ground—I’ve never seen that before.” 

The bike had belonged to O’Connell’s father. “He’s been gone for six years and I’d been riding it ever since,” he said. Little did O’Connell know, by the time he filed a police report, his bike might not even have been on the Island anymore.

https://www.capnews....-capital-region

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 04 August 2020 - 06:54 AM.

#1723 Nparker

Nparker
  • 26,768 posts

Posted 04 August 2020 - 06:53 AM

The bike may still be on Vancouver Island, but likely as parts spread far and wide (or just somewhere in a CoV park).

#1724 mbjj

mbjj
  • 1,701 posts

Posted 04 August 2020 - 06:57 AM

I still don't understand what happens with all these parts. Do people actually buy them?

#1725 Rob Randall

Rob Randall

C'mon man, cut out the malarkey

• 13,272 posts

Posted 04 August 2020 - 09:17 AM

A lot are sold but a lot of parts are simply swapped out in order to make the bike unrecognizable. When my stolen bike was recovered 20 years ago I remember some parts being arbitrarily replaced, like the seat post.

"[Randall's] aesthetic poll was more accurate than his political acumen"

-Tom Hawthorne, Toronto Globe and Mail

#1726 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 57,784 posts

Posted 04 August 2020 - 04:45 PM

That’s what the chop shops are for.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1727 On the Level

On the Level
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 04 August 2020 - 06:44 PM

I am sure some blame market supplied bicycles that prevent the marginalized from owning a $5,000 rig......that and John A MacDonald.  

#1728 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,108 posts

Posted 04 August 2020 - 09:08 PM

On a Saturday night in July, Aidan O’Connell, 21, locked his Norco CCX to a Herald Street bike rack and proceeded to meet friends for dinner. When he returned three hours later to collect it, the bike—and the pole—were gone.

“I’ve had every single bike that I’ve ever owned stolen,” O’Connell told The Capital. “It was pretty crazy. They actually pulled the bike poll out of the ground—I’ve never seen that before.”

The bike had belonged to O’Connell’s father. “He’s been gone for six years and I’d been riding it ever since,” he said. Little did O’Connell know, by the time he filed a police report, his bike might not even have been on the Island anymore.

https://www.capnews....-capital-region

This is the cornerstone of the mayor and council's economic recovery plan, I assume.
  • Mike K. likes this

#1729 E2V

E2V
  • 55 posts

Posted 05 August 2020 - 05:26 AM

tristin hopper had mused the other day about finding the shortest path (car or bike) required to touch all 13 municipalities in one trip.

that sounds like a job for aastra.

i think it would look a bit like a backwards "L" with the top end touching north saanich and the left leg end touching sooke.  the 90-degree angle corner would touch oak bay.  the horizontal would need a bit of a blip up into highlands.

attachicon.gifscreenshot-www.google.com-2019.11.14-19_31_45.png

The line seems to pass north of the Gorge which means it doesn’t include Esquimalt.

#1730 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher
  • 15,333 posts

Posted 05 August 2020 - 05:33 AM

did it take you nearly a year to come to your conclusion?

#1731 kxl

kxl
  • 183 posts

Posted 05 August 2020 - 08:57 PM

The line seems to pass north of the Gorge which means it doesn’t include Esquimalt.

If we’re going to take this map at face value (which is more of a rough line drawing than an actual path one can travel by road) it doesn’t touch Oak Bay or Colwood, either.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users