Photo

[Bicycles] Issues with bicycles and cyclists in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
2240 replies to this topic

#1941 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 12 January 2021 - 01:46 PM

I received that training and it was decades ago.

The reason Motorcyclists receive training is because people drive into them or cut them off because they don't see them.  It isn't because they go fast and in a lot of ways they are better protected than cyclists.  

Licensing and exams to ride a bicycle is one thing, but there should at least be an effort to educate cyclists (and pedestrians) to be risk adverse.  Look at this thread from these past few pages as an example of why this is needed.  Expecting others will yield the right of way is dangerous.  You should expect others to make mistakes so you can protect yourself.  

• Nparker likes this

#1942 North Shore

North Shore
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 12 January 2021 - 02:20 PM

there should at least be an effort to educate cyclists (and pedestrians) to be risk adverse.  Look at this thread from these past few pages as an example of why this is needed.  Expecting others will yield the right of way is dangerous.  You should expect others to make mistakes so you can protect yourself.  

Isn't that obvious, though?  I'm trying to hammer it into my kids that just because you have the right-of-way, are in a crosswalk, or have a green light in your favour doesn't mean that you'll be cloaked in a magical shield of defence as a ped or bike.  Look both ways twice, and keep your eyes on a swivel...

• Nparker likes this
Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?

#1943 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 12 January 2021 - 03:12 PM

I drive on Richardson almost every day. I've never had a problem with a cyclist. Ninety-nine percent of cars give them a wide berth. Have never seen an incident. I don't think bikes need to be banned but I don't think Richardson should be blocked in three spots so we have to drive up and down sidestreets to get to our destination. 

#1944 marks_28

marks_28
  • 480 posts

Posted 12 January 2021 - 03:17 PM

I drive on Richardson almost every day. I've never had a problem with a cyclist. Ninety-nine percent of cars give them a wide berth. Have never seen an incident. I don't think bikes need to be banned but I don't think Richardson should be blocked in three spots so we have to drive up and down sidestreets to get to our destination. 

I think the point is that more people are likely to bike along there, if there were fewer cars. Sure, some people probably feel fine biking along there as is, but it's also just as likely that there are others who don't because they don't feel comfortable doing so.

• Brayvehart and Rex Waverly like this

#1945 Rex Waverly

Rex Waverly
  • 265 posts

Posted 12 January 2021 - 06:00 PM

Licensing and exams to ride a bicycle is one thing, but there should at least be an effort to educate cyclists (and pedestrians) to be risk adverse.  Look at this thread from these past few pages as an example of why this is needed.  Expecting others will yield the right of way is dangerous.  You should expect others to make mistakes so you can protect yourself.  

I guess that's the issue, if you want to ride your bike but it's not safe, the only way to protect yourself is by not riding..... if there's no safe route, you can't go where you need to go.  That's why there are potentially a lot of would-be cyclists that simply won't use Richardson St, because they don't feel safe using it.  

100% agree with you on increased education and self preservation. That doesn't mean that safe designs aren't important. People will make mistakes, and accidents will happen.  So we build sidewalks and crosswalks and protected bike lanes, and install traffic lights and roundabouts, and put up warning signs and flashing lights.

• On the Level and Brayvehart like this

#1946 LJ

LJ
  • 12,702 posts

Posted 12 January 2021 - 08:43 PM

The reason Motorcyclists receive training is because people drive into them or cut them off because they don't see them.  It isn't because they go fast and in a lot of ways they are better protected than cyclists.  

We insisted our kids got their motorcycle license before their regular license to make them better and more aware drivers.

Caused fun when getting their regular license because they didn't need an N placard because you don't need one with a motorcycle license.

• GaryRanson and On the Level like this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#1947 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 12 January 2021 - 10:01 PM

I guess that's the issue, if you want to ride your bike but it's not safe, the only way to protect yourself is by not riding..... if there's no safe route, you can't go where you need to go.  That's why there are potentially a lot of would-be cyclists that simply won't use Richardson St, because they don't feel safe using it.  

100% agree with you on increased education and self preservation. That doesn't mean that safe designs aren't important. People will make mistakes, and accidents will happen.  So we build sidewalks and crosswalks and protected bike lanes, and install traffic lights and roundabouts, and put up warning signs and flashing lights.

It will never be completely safe.  Walking will never be completely safe.  Driving cars is not safe......having your kids get their drivers license is a huge worry!  They could do something inexperienced or stupid.....or someone else could.

Elephant's feet promotes an efficient mode to get across a road but could increase risk to cyclists that are not risk adverse.  Protected bike lanes have other unintended consequences for those that are not risk adverse as well.   You don't want to create a situation where someone "feels safe" without being realistic about their own abilities and those around them.  

#1948 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 12 January 2021 - 10:06 PM

We insisted our kids got their motorcycle license before their regular license to make them better and more aware drivers.

Caused fun when getting their regular license because they didn't need an N placard because you don't need one with a motorcycle license.

I think it might have changed now as one of my kids hinted at wanting to get a motorcycle license but then balked at the graduated licensing.   He then found out that a full class 5 bypasses the graduated part of it. 

I would prefer he didn't ride but can't be a hypocrite....

#1949 Rex Waverly

Rex Waverly
  • 265 posts

Posted 12 January 2021 - 11:58 PM

Elephant's feet promotes an efficient mode to get across a road but could increase risk to cyclists that are not risk adverse.  

Elephant's feet on a protected bike lane have bike signals, so that cyclists cross only when cars have the red light on the cross road (think Pandora). So it's only unsafe if the cyclist ignores the signal (which is stupid) or a car either blows the red light or turns right on the red (which is why they're banned).  Admittedly the last one is an issue, with vehicles not being used to the no-right-on-red condition, but with the signage and red light, it's much less likely they will be turning right than at an intersection with just painted bike lanes, and if they do turn right, it's usually slow after stopping. 

Elephant's feet on unprotected bike lanes simply guide cyclists through the intersection. It's not encouraging them to go, since they already are going alongside traffic in the painted bike lanes and have a green light at the intersection. They do provide a bit of extra emphasis for drivers that there is a bike lane there, which can reduce the risk of a right hook.  But the cyclist behaviour isn't changed in this case by the elephant's feet markings.

Elephant's feet at a trail crossing (i.e. Galloping Goose) will usually have a stop or yield control on the trail, so the onus is on the cyclist there. Sometimes the stop control is on the road, but this should only be on low volume roads.   

I'm sorry, i just can't think of any way in which the elephant's feet, when designed and installed properly, would increase risk to a cyclist.  Unless you're talking about that they encourage cycling at all, in which case i guess yeah, it's safer to sit at home then use an elepant's feet crosswalk.   

• Brayvehart likes this

#1950 Rex Waverly

Rex Waverly
  • 265 posts

Posted 13 January 2021 - 12:04 AM

Protected bike lanes have other unintended consequences for those that are not risk adverse as well.   You don't want to create a situation where someone "feels safe" without being realistic about their own abilities and those around them.  

Protected bike lanes (and other AAA infrastructure) aren't designed to make people 'feel safe'.  They are designed to actually BE safe.  

That's one of the issues with standard painted bike lanes and other designs like sharrows, is that they make cyclists feel safe but don't really provide much actual safety. Protected bike lanes / AAA infrastructure physically separates users or keeps the traffic volumes low enough that you don't have to separate users.  

• Danma and Brayvehart like this

#1951 Danma

Danma
  • 888 posts

Posted 13 January 2021 - 02:14 PM

As an aside: went for a ride at lunch today. After all this endless rain, it's a brilliant day to get out there and enjoy the sunshine and fresh air! Winter gets depressing with all the grey so some blue sky and sun sure makes a difference.

Lots of other people were out and about – the gorge trestle was absolutely packed with pedestrians, cyclists and boarders.

• Brantastic and Rex Waverly like this

#1952 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 13 January 2021 - 02:52 PM

Lots of other people were out and about – the gorge trestle was absolutely packed with pedestrians, cyclists and boarders.

All "working from home" :D

• Danma likes this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#1953 LJ

LJ
  • 12,702 posts

Posted 13 January 2021 - 09:06 PM

I think it might have changed now as one of my kids hinted at wanting to get a motorcycle license but then balked at the graduated licensing.   He then found out that a full class 5 bypasses the graduated part of it. 

I would prefer he didn't ride but can't be a hypocrite....

And you will have someone to ride with, we often went on all day rides.

• On the Level likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#1954 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 21 January 2021 - 10:41 PM

Well this was timely given recent posts as it was just released Jan 17th.  Do people see a difference between pedal powered bicycles and e-Bikes?  How about e-Bikes and Motorcycles? 

It's worth listening through in it's entirety given the releases from the Journal of Emergency Medicine, and agency studies from Britain and Israel. 

Why Electric Bikes are More Dangerous than Motorcycles

https://www.youtube....h?v=wM8Xli2KTzI

#1955 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,347 posts

Posted 28 February 2021 - 09:11 AM

https://project529.com/garage

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 28 February 2021 - 09:14 AM.

#1956 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,347 posts

Posted 22 April 2021 - 04:35 AM

The Greater Victoria Cycling Coalition and the Greater Victoria Bike to Work Society have merged to become a new society called Capital Bike.

The coalition was formed in 1991 as a bicycle advocacy group, followed by the society in 1997 focusing on bike-skills education and the promotion of its annual flagship event.

https://www.timescol...bike-1.24310318

#1957 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,347 posts

Posted 28 May 2021 - 11:50 AM

Apple now offers AirTags.

would this be something that people could put on their bikes?

https://www.apple.co...y-airtag/airtag

it still surprises me a bit that so many bikes are stolen.  not victim blaming but most go missing when they are taken from areas where they are not well-secured.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 28 May 2021 - 11:50 AM.

#1958 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,241 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 30 May 2021 - 02:21 PM

Their documentation has a bike as an example, so yeah. At least until the thieves get wise and start looking for them.

#1959 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 01 December 2021 - 10:26 AM

Nobody seems to be social distancing bicycles people seem to treat bicycles as if they are encapsulated. it’s the responsibility of both the cyclist and the pedestrian to social distance?

The bike lanes are so narrow you pass huffing and puffing almost literally face to face, mouth to mouth, nose to nose.

#1960 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,410 posts

Posted 01 December 2021 - 10:28 AM

Unless one is riding their bicycle down the centre aisle at Hillside mall, I am not sure how much social distancing is necessary. 

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users