Signage, advertising and video billboards in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
328 replies to this topic

#81 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 09:13 PM

I like the arena sign. It brightens that corner. in fact it is the only life in that whole intersection.

#82 manuel

manuel
  • 595 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 09:49 PM

um, G-Man, are you saying that the arena doesn't have life, or is it the beautiful pit on the other corner that doiesn't have life - at least as we know it?
"I know nothing"

#83 aastra

aastra
  • 20,753 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 10:53 AM

You're saying the alligators in the Radius pit are not alive?

Did VHF forget to feed them or something?

#84 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 11:03 AM

I wonder if any land that still has native land claims disputes, can post third party billboard advertising, such as those seen along a stretch of the Pat Bay highway.

#85 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 11:19 AM

Telus billboard turning heads at City Hall
By Mike Kozakowski, VibrantVictoria.ca
http://vibrantvictoria.ca/?p=2734

A billboard erected by Telus on the southern facade of the BC Telephone Company building at 826 Yates has been ordered by City Hall to come down unless the company can successfully apply for and receive a necessary permit.

In a story first reported by VibrantVictoria.ca on May 24th, Telus installed the billboard featuring a familiar hippopotamus and rabit motif as part of the firms mobile network marketing campaign. [...]

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#86 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 06 June 2010 - 10:42 AM

Of all the ugly things in this city, I'd hardly call Telus' advertising offensive.

I've always wondered what the bylaw and approval process was for signage at Times Square.

Hello? Bylaw office? Yeh, I'd like to put up a sign above my business in Times Square.

OK, is the sign big, bright and animated? Go ahead! Just as long as there are no hippos on it.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#87 aastra

aastra
  • 20,753 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 12:29 PM

The depiction of hippos is always going to be a controversial issue re: signage and advertising. What will they show us next? A hippo in a business suit? A hippo driving a car? Where do we draw the line?

#88 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 06 June 2010 - 12:45 PM

The depiction of hippos is always going to be a controversial issue re: signage and advertising. What will they show us next? A hippo in a business suit? A hippo driving a car? Where do we draw the line?

Hippo on hippo?

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#89 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 02:17 PM

I think that a strongly worded letter from Telus' lawyers regarding the City's arbitrary enforcement of sign bylaws will have them back down.

#90 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 09:41 PM

Really I think that the sign bylaw needs an overhaul the sign isn't hurting anyone.

#91 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 06:50 AM

^ ?? It covers up 1/4 of your heritage building.... I thought you'd be offended.

#92 aastra

aastra
  • 20,753 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 07:55 AM

Me no like. Ads on blank side or rear walls are one thing, but ads that cover up windows on the front of the building are something else.

So what would y'all think if the city were to allow ads on blank walls (on existing buildings -- we don't want people building brand new blank walls just to put ads on them) under the proviso that the ads had to be painted on and done in a retro sort of style? You know, make it look like a Telus ad or Apple ad from 1905?

#93 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 08:03 AM

Great, next thing you know Monty's has a 40 foot billboard advertising Thong Thursdays.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#94 aastra

aastra
  • 20,753 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 08:11 AM

But they would have to make it look like a Thong Thursdays ad from 1905.

#95 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 08:27 AM

Or simply have the Thong company put up posters inside the building as well and then it isn't advertising any more.

#96 victorian fan

victorian fan
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 03:18 PM

If the woman had a baby hippo beside her..............perfect.

#97 aastra

aastra
  • 20,753 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 03:39 PM

Were hippos as common in the workplace back then as they are today?

#98 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 05:17 PM

Why not build a small stage and have performers in thongs with hippos painted on their bare chests. I don't think the bylaw ruling folks will object to that.

#99 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 08 June 2010 - 05:20 PM

Why not build a small stage and have performers in thongs with hippos painted on their bare chests. I don't think the bylaw ruling folks will object to that.

Why is the hippo getting all the attention? Wouldn't the bunnies hitching a ride on his back be more appropriate?

#100 victorian fan

victorian fan
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 05:53 PM

My grandparents phone. I stood on a stool to use it. 4 digit phone number.

That would make a cute picture were it not for the fact it wasn't a Telus phone.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users