Photo

Recreational Facilities, Velodromes, etc.

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 06 September 2006 - 06:01 PM

Velodrome options going round

By Edward Hill
Goldstream News Gazette
Sep 06 2006

As the sun sets over the Juan de Fuca velodrome on a warm Thursday evening, cyclists hit speeds that would bring grief from highway police.

The 333-metre oval track banks as high as 28 degrees, and draws at least 40 recreational riders three days a week for sprints and high-speed pursuits.

It's also the centerpiece for Canada's national cycling team training centre, but now riders and West Shore Parks and Recreation officials are mulling if the sun is permanently setting on the track, built for the 1994 Commonwealth Games.

The track's infield turf is at the end of its usable life, and the West Shore Parks and Recreation Society has it slated to be replaced with an all-weather field.

Langford Coun. Denise Blackwell, chair of the society, has suggested removing the ends of the velodrome to allow for regulation-sized soccer and rugby pitches.

Blackwell noted that regulation velodromes are now covered 250 metre tracks, making the JDF velodrome out of date.

"It is no longer the size recognized for their events," she said. "It may be OK for practice, but it won't ever be used again for events."

Matt Barlee, president of the Greater Victoria Velodrome Association, argues that is simply not the case. He said it can be used for national championships, as it was last year, local events, the Pan Am Games or even another Commonwealth Games.

"To say the velodrome can't host events is an overstatement," Barlee said. "The only thing we can't host is world cup circuit events."

The velodrome, one of seven in Canada, is used to train both track and road cycling athletes, Barlee said. He suspects if the velodrome shuts down, the national cycling training would move to Quebec.

"It's not just for a few elite track riders," he added. "If fact, you see a lot more use from recreational cyclers."

David Richardson, a Metchosin rider with the GVVA, says Victoria has become the No. 1 place in Canada for cycling in terms of competition riders and commuters.

"We feel as users, cycling should be part of the mix to develop Canada as a bike nation," Richardson said in between laps in the velodrome. "We have a good blend of sport at JDF. We should build on that."

Mark Johnson, the parks and recreation centre administrator, said getting rid of the velodrome is an option, but cautioned that discussion about the site is very preliminary.

"We are right at the beginning of looking at the potential of the site," he said.

The only plan on the books is replacing the infield turf for about $700,000.

However, Johnson said options for uses of the site will be presented to the parks and recreation board Sept. 14, which include a concept for a 10,000 seat stadium and a covered 250 metre velodrome.

Johnson stressed a variety of options will be offered, but declined to elaborate.

The parks and recreation society is in no position to finance a stadium and a covered velodrome, Blackwell noted.

"If someone comes at us with money to enhance the use of the site, we will definitely look at it."

mailto:reporter@goldstreamgazette.com

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2 Scaper

Scaper
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 06 September 2006 - 06:26 PM

I talked to a Langford councilor this summer. He told me of this. The Western Community municipalities are all working together on this. The goal is to build a 12,000 plus outdoor stadium there eventually. The are also working with Soccer Canada on this.

I was told by Langford Council that they plan to rebuild a new and improved /valadrome in Langford after they destroy the current one. They also have plans to build in langford a National Basketball academy, through money given by Steve Nash.

#3 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 06 September 2006 - 06:32 PM

Saanich is out to lunch. They should join forces with UVic and rebuild a proper outdoor stadium facility there. Those blue Commonwealth Games era seats on the far side of UVic's track have been bleached almost white by a decade of exposure to the elements.

A comfortable 10,000 seat facility would be a great thing for Victoria and for UVic.

#4 Scaper

Scaper
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 06 September 2006 - 06:43 PM

That is so true....Too bad too because Saanich could have left a legacy of the games by building an outdoor stadium there for the Capitol.

The unfortunate part is now there is no fedral grants to help us build one, where as back in the early 90's the Fed's and the provincial gov't were willing to help foot the bill for these things.

Saanich is still pondering a stadium at the Comuson College campus on Interurban. Numbers between 5,000 and 15,000 have been discussed. But we are talking about Saanich so nothing will happen.

The stadium will surely get built in the West Shores along with the bigger Arena as well.

#5 renthefinn

renthefinn
  • 571 posts

Posted 06 September 2006 - 07:11 PM

I wouldn't say nothing will happen, cause something is underway on that site already, it's more like whatever is built there will turn out underwhelming, so that it'll fit in with the rest of the municipality.

#6 Scaper

Scaper
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 06 September 2006 - 09:10 PM

^hahahahaha

#7 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 04:13 PM

If you want to find out what Len Barrie has up his sleeve, go down to the velodrome tomorrow at 1 PM where he will announce plans for a new stadium.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#8 Scaper

Scaper
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 04:55 PM

Where did you here this?

#9 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 05:03 PM

I know the Rebels have dreams of a new stadium.

Also, when we held the Mavericks awards banquet at Soprano's last month, they showed plans they have had for 8 years for a $3 baseball field and complex to replace the old Red Barn at Lambrick Park (shown below).

It's formally called the Bert Richman Buiding.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#10 Scaper

Scaper
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 05:24 PM

They'll be playing in Colwood soon enough.

#11 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 05:25 PM

Where did you here this?

A Channel is saying 10,000 seats.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#12 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,806 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 05:26 PM

What? That could screw RAP out of a lot of events! Oh well there will always be beer fest.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#13 Scaper

Scaper
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 05:30 PM

that's down from the number the langford councilor told me. Though still a good seat number. I was told 12,500 same for the arena.

But I think 10,000 seats is perfect. Too bad Victoria and Saanich didn't get their asses in gear for this. Also if they would have built one for the common wealth games the Federal and Provincial governments would have footed some of the bill. But we are talking Victoria and Saanich so no wonder it didn't get done.

#14 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 20 September 2006 - 04:47 PM

Here's some more info. $12,000,000 to create a new allweather field and fund 2,000 permanent seats with 8,000 removable seats (which will be leased across the island and used at the stadium when required).

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#15 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 20 September 2006 - 04:55 PM

$12M? Scaper, what can you make that field for?

EDIT: oh, all-weather, they are pretty cool. Grass blades of plastic filled with rubber pellets.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#16 Scaper

Scaper
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 20 September 2006 - 05:05 PM

Well that's dissapointing...its no better than Uvics stadium. Infact it's smaller. Temperary seats at Uvic can hold over 15,000. Huh...another joke! I wonder if this new arena will also have temperary seats too. Man I am so proud to be a Victorian!!!

#17 DelsterX

DelsterX
  • 80 posts

Posted 21 September 2006 - 07:20 AM

West Shore wonder: State-of-the-art sports facility expected to house stadium and velodrome

September 21, 2006
Represented as a bargain-priced facility that would be the envy of North America, plans for a new stadium and field house at Juan de Fuca Recreation Centre look good on paper. Now the real work starts.

Politicians, special interest groups, and media packed the Juan de Fuca field house on Wednesday for a press

conference held by the West Shore Parks and Recreation Society, made up of representatives from Colwood, Langford, Metchosin, and Highlands, and the West Shore Economic Development Association. With detailed illustrations, the groups presented their ambitious plan to replace the current velodrome cycling track with the West Shore Stadium and Multi Sport Field House.

The 10,000-seat stadium would be suitable for Canadian football, rugby, soccer, and field lacrosse, while plans for the attached field house include an indoor wooden velodrome, plus an multi-sport infield, the size of four basketball courts. In addition, architect Vic Davies, who designed popular Bear Mountain Arena, has the field house roof cantilevered over the stadium bleachers, providing a covered area for 3,500 spectators. The two facilities would share change rooms, offices, and washrooms.

The estimated cost is $3 million for the stadium, and another $9 million for the field house, with a completion date of 2009 or 2010.

"I'm urging you people -- when we need money, when we go out for help, support us," said Colwood businessman Bob Saunders, who was described by WEDA CEO Peter Fibiger as the wings beneath the project. "We need to recognize kids that are involved in sport."

Saunders and the WEDA have spent about two years working on the stadium concept, and now they are going after the funding to make it a reality. So far, besides the public land for the buildings, the only local taxpayer money involved is $700,000 already earmarked for replacement of the worn turf in the infield of the velodrome, which was constructed for the Commonwealth Games in 1994. If plans for the stadium proceed, that money would likely be transferred to the new facility.

Otherwise the group, which has set spring as a deadline for the dollars-to-doughnuts study, expects to apply for funds from government Olympic programs such as LiveSites and 2010 Olympic Opportunities Now, and develop regional, provincial, and national business partnerships. Fibiger said the $12-million price tag is an "extreme

bargain," thanks to having the stadium lighting and most of the drainage already in place, and using an economical-style exterior for the field house, similar to the tin-sided Bear Mountain Arena. As far as more parking, talks are ongoing with the DND next door.

"The intent from the beginning is to make this happen without further burdening the taxpayers of this community. Our goal is to make this happen," Fibiger said.

It all sounds great in theory, but bike racer and trainer Jason Anson voiced the worry of the cycling community that the velodrome would be razed for the stadium, and the money would run out before the field house was built. He said the prevailing opinion that the current track is outdated for international events is misguided, as only World Cup races need a smaller-sized oval.

"We are the cycling capital of Canada," Anson said. "It's incredibly important for us to take a lead role."

A potential West Shore home for Canadian cycling program is just one of the national links being explored for the new facility. Internationally, most events require a minimum of 10,000 seats, and the stadium would be a given to play host to prestigious competitions. Locally, the Victoria Rebels football club is expected to be a tenant, and gridiron exploits might include a B.C. Lions training camp or CFL exhibition game. If the dollars match the vision, the possibilities are boundless.

"We're going to be the envy of North America," Saunders said. "Let's move forward."

#18 DelsterX

DelsterX
  • 80 posts

Posted 21 September 2006 - 07:24 AM

I would be really surprsed if this did not get built. Things happen in the Westhore. Things are not analyzed to death then finally come up with something that does not meet the needs of original intent and are left with something mediocre that you are not proud of. Sound familiar???

#19 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 21 September 2006 - 11:22 AM

Ya, this'll get done.

Bob Saunders is a good guy (even if he does sell Subarus).

There is no mention of the 2000/10,000 seat convertability.

#20 HOMBRE

HOMBRE
  • 58 posts

Posted 21 September 2006 - 01:33 PM

yeah it is a little disappointing but whatever, hopefully it spur the city to do something with RAP.

lets face the facts and figures RAP is CRAP

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users