#1 martini

martini
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 25 August 2008 - 06:57 AM

Salon for sale -- and price is falling fast

Richard Watts
Times Colonist

Monday, August 25, 2008

Anton Kashari is selling his hair salon at a price that will continue to drop until it reaches nothing and he will give it away.

For sale: One downtown Victoria hair salon. Asking price: $5,000.

But if you wait a little while longer, you might be able to get it for even less, because the owner is determined to keep dropping the price until it's gone.

"It will go down and down until the end and I put up 'Free business,' " said Anton Kashari, owner of the Monaco Hair Salon at 1672 Douglas St.

Earlier this week, Kashari posted a sign offering "Salon for $5,000." Alongside, another sign asks, "Does anyone have money in the city?"

Kashari said he started the business three years ago. Once a flower shop, the store needed some drastic cleaning and painting. Kashari also says he put in about $30,000 in improvements to the plumbing, electrical work, signs and fixtures such as sinks and chairs.

He said he built up an economic client base, offering haircuts for $12 and a discount for frequent customers. But he now wants out. Kashari, who also works in construction, said problems with various hairstylist employees have become too big a headache.

He offered his salon for sale about one year ago, using the Internet to advertise across Canada and asking for $30,000. That attracted a few calls but nothing else.

He started bringing the price down. At about $10,000, a few stylists came in expressing interest, but none of them seemed to be able to come up with the cash.

"They come and most of them have no money. They say, 'I'll give you a motorcycle.' And I say, 'I don't want a motorcycle,' " Kashari said.

He still can't understand why it hasn't sold. For that price, a couple of hairstylist students could ask their parents for the money and get a good start in the business, he said.

Kashari agreed the location, right next to Centennial Square, has a few past problems with drug dealers. But he said those issues seem to be slacking off in recent months, and new construction nearby promises a better future.

"It's a good location," said Kashari. "I can't believe there are no buyers. We are in Canada with 30 million people and we are supposed to be rich."

He says too many people just don't want to work hard or take a little risk. "They just want to be paid for doing nothing."

rwatts@tc.canwest.com
© Times Colonist (Victoria) 2008

http://www.canada.co...eb-19cc4d63bca9

#2 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 25 August 2008 - 07:12 AM

I've been watching that sign for a while. He started out at $15 G, I think and has been dropping it weekly. Kudos to him for upgrading the infrastructure but the interior decorating leaves something to be desired. I've had my hair cut there before and the guy is quirky but funny but the design looks like Value Village barfed in it. It's a two-chair shop in a massive restaurant-sized space. The little barber shop in Fan Tan Alley is the right cozy size for a little salon.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#3 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,971 posts

Posted 25 August 2008 - 07:30 AM

They guy obviously slept through Marketing 101.

If you want to sell something you don't tell your potential buyers to wait because the price is coming down!

#4 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 25 August 2008 - 07:31 AM

When he is willing to offer me $5000 to take it off his hands we can start talking.;)

#5 jaylow

jaylow
  • 188 posts

Posted 25 August 2008 - 02:31 PM

i walk by this place everyday and was thinking to myself, he's clearly desperate to sell, why would anyone buy instead of waiting for him to go out of business

#6 victorian fan

victorian fan
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 25 August 2008 - 02:39 PM

Downtown Hair Salon...Asking $5000

I thought you meant pre haircut. :eek:

#7 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 25 August 2008 - 02:41 PM

What's the rent, I wonder?
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#8 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 25 August 2008 - 08:00 PM

What's the rent, I wonder?

He does my hair. Nice guy.

#9 Zimquats

Zimquats
  • 299 posts

Posted 25 August 2008 - 08:06 PM

VHF, if that barber can cut your hair to make you the spitting image of James Garner, I'm gonna buy the place and make him the CEO!!

#10 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 25 August 2008 - 08:18 PM

Haha, what a thought: a service that makes you look like your avatar! (I'd have a really long nose ...and such floppy big ears, too!)
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#11 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 25 August 2008 - 08:20 PM

VHF, if that barber can cut your hair to make you the spitting image of James Garner, I'm gonna buy the place and make him the CEO!!

James Garner is in his 70's and still has more hair than me.

EDIT: He turned 80 earlier this year.

#12 martini

martini
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 25 August 2008 - 11:39 PM

^
And I can still remember the theme song.

#13 Newlywednotnearlydead

Newlywednotnearlydead
  • 187 posts

Posted 26 August 2008 - 02:23 PM

This guy admits that he's having problems with employees and admits the fact that Centennial Square is perennially full of bums and crackheads, and then is shocked that nobody wants to buy his business. And then has the gall to blame it on people being lazy...

Articles like this steaming pile of dung are why I laugh in the face of the telemarketers who call asking if I want to subscribe to the TC.

#14 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 26 August 2008 - 04:22 PM

It's at $4000 today.

#15 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 26 August 2008 - 08:36 PM

This is probably a publicity stunt.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#16 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 26 August 2008 - 08:41 PM

This is probably a publicity stunt.

No, he has been talking about selling it now for over a year now. Yes, he has got some publicity now, but it really is for sale.

#17 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 27 August 2008 - 07:54 AM

It's at $4000 today.

So by Labour Day it should be free. That's when I will make my offer.

#18 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 27 August 2008 - 09:30 AM

The sign is down today. Maybe it's sold.

#19 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 08:08 PM

Double-post

#20 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 08:22 PM

A note in the window says $4000 is the final offer and the rent is $2200. The owner is moving to Australia.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users