#1 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 26 August 2008 - 04:43 PM

Radio host to run for Victoria council
Carolyn Heiman, Times Colonist
Published: Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Susan Woods, a radio show host, is the latest person to announce she'll seek a seat on Victoria city council.

Woods, a professional writer and host of the Saturday morning local history show on CFAX called Remember When, said the top issue facing the city is the decay of the downtown.

"I'd like the future of the city to have a good economy and safe streets. I want the character and pride in the city to come back."

There are 380,000 people participating in activities in the city but when they leave 60,000 taxpayers are left with the bil.

"It is time for all municipalities to come to the table," Woods said, stopping shy of calling for amalgamation. "We've been talking about that for ages...We need to reframe it has municipal integration."

Woods classifies herself as a centrist. "I see the good in both sides and I like to say what is right, is not who is right.

Woods was born in Halifax and raised in a military family. She moved to Victoria in 1989 and raised two children, now adults, here. "I would love them to be able to raise their own family here."

The homelessness issues is a tragedy with poverty, mental illness and drug addiction at its roots, said Woods. "But each is a different issue and you have to deal with them differently."

Woods is editor and creator of the Mss Rock Review, a magazine focused on issues in the Fairfield community. She is married to Greg Evans, executive director of the Maritime Museum of BC and lives in the Oaklands neighborhood.

Woods covered Vancouver city hall in the 1970s and 1980s when she worked as a television and radio reporter. The experience helps her understand the issues, she said.

Three members of Victoria city council have said they won't run in the November election, leaving a wide open race for new faces. Already Pieta Van Dyke, Lynn Hunter, and Michael Sharpe have expressed interest in filling those seats.

Incumbents whose names will be back on the ballot are Pam Madoff, Chris Coleman, Charlayne Thornton-Joe, Sonya Chandler and Geoff Young.

Coun. Dean Fortin is running for mayor along with Stan Sipos, Simon Nattrass, Georgia-Anne Jones and John Turner.

#2 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 26 August 2008 - 04:43 PM

Crap, I mis-ordered the title.

#3 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 26 August 2008 - 05:00 PM

opps I posted the same thing in another thread - can someone erase the one I started?

#4 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 26 August 2008 - 05:32 PM

Sure! Good to know you guys are on top of these things!

#5 Ginger Snap

Ginger Snap
  • 177 posts

Posted 27 August 2008 - 01:34 PM

Hmmm... I had heard that she was thinking of running, but somehow I thought one of her big issues was getting float planes banned (or seriously reduced) from the Inner Harbour, as an IH condo resident... but this article says she lives in Oaklands, so I must be mistaken on this one...?

#6 Barra

Barra
  • 592 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 11:29 AM

The Susan Woods who is running for Victoria Council is not the Susan Woods who lives on Songhees Pt. and has raised concerns about float planes.

#7 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 12 September 2008 - 12:47 PM

I am meeting her for coffee on Tuesday, sounds like she lives on the east side of the city, Oaklands area.

I will ask her if this is her or not.

#8 Ginger Snap

Ginger Snap
  • 177 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 04:58 PM

The Susan Woods who is running for Victoria Council is not the Susan Woods who lives on Songhees Pt. and has raised concerns about float planes.

Ah, OK. I suppose it is not a terrifically uncommon name.

#9 nwoods

nwoods
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 02:54 PM

I am happy to have stumbled upon this site and forum while googling some election information for a friend of mine!

My mother is the Susan Woods who is running for City Council.

To answer Gingersnap's inquiry, she is not the Susan Woods who is trying to ban the float planes. There are two Susan Woods' in Victoria. I'm hoping that people do not assume they are the same people!

If anyone is interested in taking a look, I am currently working on her website which can be found at http://www.susanwoodsforvictoria.com. It is not completely finished, but it does have her issues, bio, endorsements, editorials, and contact information up.

:)

#10 Sue Woods

Sue Woods
  • 621 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 12:14 AM

I am running for a seat on Victoria City Council as an independent candidate and welcome your questions/comments. My web site is under construction but should be up and running by next week.

I do wish to clarify a few details: I am not the same Susan Woods who lives in the Songhees and is trying to ban float planes from the Inner Harbour. I live in the Oaklands neighbourhood, and am, ironically, the proud mother of a young commercial pilot. As a capital port city, I fully support a vibrant working harbour.

Also someone has referred to me on this site as a "heritage advocate" which is not exactly how I would present myself. While I have a strong interest and appreciation for our local/prov/and national heritage, and host a weekly radio show on CFAX Radio called Remember When, I am progressive in my thinking and do not abscribe to the belief that preserving the old at all costs is the best way to proceed. My interest lies more in social history - the stories about those who have gone before - the legacies they have left behind - and the way they dealt with the challenges of their times with courage, conviction and innovation. Qualites I believe Council needs more of today. Basically, I believe the decisons we make for Victoria must be with an eye to the future.

I think this is an excellent website. Cheers for now, Susan Woods

#11 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 07:01 AM

sounds good to me

#12 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,521 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 07:28 AM

Welcome, Susan.

I am progressive in my thinking and do not abscribe to the belief that preserving the old at all costs is the best way to proceed. My interest lies more in social history - the stories about those who have gone before - the legacies they have left behind - and the way they dealt with the challenges of their times with courage, conviction and innovation. Qualites I believe Council needs more of today. Basically, I believe the decisons we make for Victoria must be with an eye to the future.

Agreed.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#13 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 09:50 AM

Welcome Susan! Thank you for posting!
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.
Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900), The Picture of Dorian Gray, 1891

#14 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 18 September 2008 - 10:27 AM

Welcome Susan! I have heard your radio show in the past, it's very good.

Well, you're saying all the right things so far, and I'm looking forward to hearing more details and checking out your website. This year I plan to vote for independent candidates who have a passion for the city and it's future, are not career politicians and not tied to a political party or representing a single interest or segment of society.

#15 Sue Woods

Sue Woods
  • 621 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 03:31 PM

My website is now on-line (You may need to hit refresh if you have previously viewed it). I will be adding my "specific initiatives" page shortly - but till then the site will let interested parties know more about me professionally and personally, along with some endorsements.

Thanks!
Susan Woods

#16 Sue Woods

Sue Woods
  • 621 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 03:33 PM

www.susanwoodsforvictoria.com

#17 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 03:34 PM

Thanks Susan!
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.
Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900), The Picture of Dorian Gray, 1891

#18 Sue Woods

Sue Woods
  • 621 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 05:48 PM

I have now added a 'specific initiatives' page to my web site.
Thx Sue
www.susanwoodsforvictoria.com

#19 Sue Woods

Sue Woods
  • 621 posts

Posted 25 September 2008 - 09:53 AM

I am available for living room coffee meetings if you would like to organize one with friends/neighbours. If you put on the coffee -I'll bring the muffins/cookies and an open ear to hearing about your neighbourhood concerns.
Thx Sue
Please see the contact link on my web site: www.susanwoodsforvictoria.com

#20 Sue Woods

Sue Woods
  • 621 posts

Posted 04 October 2008 - 03:03 PM

Before I joined VV I had never participated in an on-line forum before. Its been such a valuable experience to get to know the issues of importance to people - and getting familiar with the views of my candidate counterparts. But it has also taken up a good deal of my time so I need sign off to get to the laundry, shopping, and familiarizing myself with my other obligations.

Before I do tho, I just want to say that I've enjoyed the back and forthness with you, Rob R and Joseph B, and look forward to seeing you both at all-candidate meetings and hopefuly beyond. All the best with your campaigns!

I invite anyone who is interested in keeping in touch (or would like to volunteer a few hours) to join my facebook group - or email me.

Cheers for now, and thanks in advance for participating in the democratic process on Nov 15th. Sue

susanwoodsforvictoria.com
suewoods@shaw.ca
facebook: Susan Woods, Vancouver network.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users