Photo

Susan Woods | Victoria | Council - VV Endorsed

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#21 Joseph

Joseph
  • 80 posts

Posted 04 October 2008 - 03:55 PM

So, you've discovered the whirpool-of-time that hovers so close to internet forums :eek:

Indeed, it can be extremely time consuming and when there are so many other discussions happening in the community, online and off, it can be easy to forget that there are so many new places and people to work with and gain from. I almost feel bad not responding to all the issues posted here, but it's tricky to balance time on the net.

Hope you still make it back to VV every now and then and I look forward to working with you at City Hall ;)

#22 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 29 October 2008 - 02:26 PM

Here is her facebook group

#23 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 07:03 PM

That's the Downtown 2020 questionnaire, right? Good questions there, and good answers from you, Sue. (So far it looks like you're the first and only one to answer -- hope to see more on that site soon.)
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#24 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 08:58 PM

Good on you, Susan. I'm still plowing through my surveys. I'm working on Quadra-Hillside's right now.

#25 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 01:23 PM

Good responses, Sue. As per my question to Rob Randall, are you cross-posting these surveys to your website? All candidates should make sure that their websites are go-to sources for all these surveys, so that interested voters don't have to hunt and peck through the web to find your responses.
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#26 Sue Woods

Sue Woods
  • 621 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 01:26 PM

Good responses, Sue. As per my question to Rob Randall, are you cross-posting these surveys to your website? All candidates should make sure that their websites are go-to sources for all these surveys, so that interested voters don't have to hunt and peck through the web to find your responses.

Yes, thanks for the idea. Done now.

I need a vacation!! :).

#27 ted - 3 - dots

ted - 3 - dots

Banned

• Banned
  • 187 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 03:53 PM

[quote name='Susan Woods, Candidate']Survey From Lawyer Stewart Johnston about downtown issues.

What do you think are the reasons Victoria has such visible problems around homelessness and street issues? Societal changes. Closing of provincial mental health facilities. Inadequate welfare support. General disinterest on the part of senior levels of government.

How do you think those problems should be handled?
The City of Victoria needs to be unrelenting in applying pressure on senior governments to make substantive progress towards solving the problems of homelessness. Tent city is not a solution and the City needs to stand firm in adhering to new policy guidelines that prevent tent cities from taking over parks and public spaces. I believe in the “housing first” model to help the homeless to get back on their feet.

( snip - snip ) by ted...

----- It really too bad that you miss a chance to actually talk to the
two lawyers involved in the case ...! ( at last Thursday's all candidates forum)

You'd found out that the city's best move right-now,
is to establish a tent city ...! ( instead of wasting even more money by appealing the court decision )

Further , it too bad that we DON'T HAVE ENOUGH SHELTER BEDS in this city
( part & parcel of the court decision )

You , can support the "housing-first" model until your blue in the face
because until the HOUSING IS BUILT , people have to sleep some-where...!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And I know down-town business's are tried of homeless people on their door steps....

------- Bottom line -------

If you truly believe in "housing-first" ,,, you be housing people in tent's
until a house is actually built , for them to move into ....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

grrrrr ( "housing-first" , is a fantasy until the houses are available... )
and they AREN'T being built over night ......!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The homeless-people are homeless RIGHT-NOW .!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(how many more Day's , Week's , Mouth's , Year's , before we can ACTUALLY house them ? )

ted... ( please , please , please , think about it ) people are homeless tonight ,
how much longer are they going to have to wait ....???????????

Why can't they live in a tent , until the housing units are actually built ...?

;{-

(can we some-day ,,,
learn not to CRINMALIZE the homeless-people,
for being homeless...? )

#28 Joseph

Joseph
  • 80 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 11:41 AM

Include cycling in official road rules/and driver’s tests. [/FONT][/SIZE]

Hi Susan,

Cyclists already have to follow official road rules. If cyclists were to require driver's tests, would that mean you would have to be 16 or older to ride a bike?

#29 Sue Woods

Sue Woods
  • 621 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 11:50 AM

Hi Susan, Cyclists already have to follow official road rules. If cyclists were to require driver's tests, would that mean you would have to be 16 or older to ride a bike?

Hi Joseph, I was unclear - what I meant was incorporating a more comprehensive section into driver's tests regarding cars sharing the road with cyclists. To my knowledge, but correct me if i am wrong, it is not a big part of written/road tests. Did not mean that cyclists should have to take roads tests.

This was the 24th candidate survey. Oi vey. Think I'm going to stop responding now and declare my campaign a "survey free zone".

#30 Joseph

Joseph
  • 80 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 07:44 PM

Hi Joseph, I was unclear - what I meant was incorporating a more comprehensive section into driver's tests regarding cars sharing the road with cyclists. To my knowledge, but correct me if i am wrong, it is not a big part of written/road tests. Did not mean that cyclists should have to take roads tests.

This was the 24th candidate survey. Oi vey. Think I'm going to stop responding now and declare my campaign a "survey free zone".

Ah, thanks for the clarification. In this case, I very much agree with you.

#31 Ginger Snap

Ginger Snap
  • 177 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 08:06 PM

Wow, thanks for sharing a sample of those surveys! Do I understand correctly that not only are organizations asking candidates to fill in the surveys, but also individuals now too? That is an insane amount of questions to answer... and I like filling in surveys!

Thanks for posting all your answers... I like what I am reading so far!

#32 Sue Woods

Sue Woods
  • 621 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 09:58 PM

Do I understand correctly that not only are organizations asking candidates to fill in the surveys, but also individuals now too? That is an insane amount of questions to answer....

Yes, organizations, individuals, and I even got a few from outer space. :)

Its flattering that so many want to know the internal workings of our minds - but since mine is now clearcut I think I need to enter into a period of sequestration and silent meditation. Maybe someone can wake me up next Saturday after the polls close.

#33 Sue Woods

Sue Woods
  • 621 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 07:30 PM

This is a letter sent out today by Victoria lawyer's Stewart Johnston and Danielle Topliss regarding street issues and the civic election. Printed with permission. . .

Dear Friends and Neighbours
We are writing to you either because you are a member of the Cormorant Street Neighbourhood or you have expressed an interest in the street issues of our City and Greater Victoria Region, the VIHA/AVI Needle Exchange and intravenous drug use; you have an interest in the impact that those issues have upon our neighbourhoods and our City. We have been asked by our neighbours within the Cormorant Street Neighbourhood and beyond to pass on relevant information that we receive.

I recently wrote to you recommending Rob Reid for mayor and enclosing Rob’s responses to those questions, another copy of that email and Rob’s responses are attached. In between writing that message and its getting to you, we received Dean Fortin’s responses to the questions and now we have received those of Steve Filipovik as well and we share those with you as attachments to this email. The answers received from the various candidates for mayor and for council make it clear that street issues are front and centre in the minds of Victorians. The approaches are diverse, but concern is there.

I agree with much of what Dean Fortin says in his answers. His approach differs philosophically from mine and I find my thinking remains more aligned with that of Rob Reid. In particular, radical intervention in the real estate market is of concern to me. It could easily have the opposite result to that which Mr. Fortin seeks to bring about. I urge you to read and consider the comments of Rob Reid which we sent to you before together with those of Dean Fortin and Steve Filopovik and then make your choice. Whether you agree with me or not, it is essential that you get out and vote. We want to let those who are elected know that this issue is of prime importance and that they have the support of the voters.

I will also be attaching to a further email today the replies received from Father Allan Jones, Geoff Young, Pieta VanDyke, John Farquharson, John Luton, John Turner, Joseph Boutilier, Lynn Hunter, Robert Randall, Simon Nattrass, Susan Woods, Tavis Dodds, and Timothy VanAlstine. I wish to personally thank these people for taking the time to answer these questions. I know that they were bombarded with emails, phone calls, and other questionnaires, competing for their time. I also want to thank these people as well as the other candidates for offering their time and commitment to all Victorians to help make ours a better city in which to live.

I have considered these replies carefully. These are good people who are working hard at putting forth good ideas. I wish to endorse and lend my support to the following candidates for council:

Susan Woods has received an education from the school of hard knocks. She is thoughtful, articulate and unafraid to try new approaches, but also to let them go if they aren’t the right solution. It is her sort of fresh thinking and creativity that we need on council.

Robert Randall is a very thoughtful and involved man whom I have met on a number of committees. I have had the pleasure of discussing the problems of the street and possible solutions with Robert and I am impressed with his level of knowledge and commitment.

Tim VanAlstine has worked as an activist for many years in Victoria and is best known for his work in the James Bay community, but also for his work in bringing about the Greater Victoria Harbour Authority. I first met Tim on the Transportation Advisory Committee and again the day the Harbour Steering Committee (later the Victoria/Esquimalt Harbour Society) was formed. We worked together on bringing about the Greater Victoria Harbour Authority over the years and he proved to be a great ally.

Lynn Hunter is an articulate and strong advocate for resolving the problems we encounter on our downtown streets. She has written the various cabinet ministers and other senior politicians regarding the needed response to the recent Supreme Court camping decision. She has the experience as a former Member of Parliament to help in the process of understanding the workings of the federal government. She believes in building coalition and that will be necessary to cut across party lines. The deinstitutionalization and ultimate marginalization of the mentally ill has been carried out by all the federal and provincial political parties, when in power.

John Farquharson is an individual whom I have not had the pleasure of meeting. However, I am impressed with his answers and ideas which ring true to me.

Last on the alphabet and the ballot, but not least in my support, is Geoff Young. Yes, he is an incumbent, but during his term in office he gave voice to some real questions that needed to be asked. For example, he openly questioned the wisdom of situating all the social services in the downtown. I have encountered Geoff many times over his years on council and on the Greater Victoria Harbour Authority board. While we have not seen eye to eye at all times, I always knew that his decisions would be reasoned and that my arguments would be given intelligent consideration.

Finally, I believe Barry Hobbis is worthy of your consideration. While, unfortunately he did not complete our questionnaire, he has completed the one on the Chamber of Commerce website. You can check him out there. I have had many opportunities to discuss with Barry his concern and approach to Victoria’s street issues. He is involved and is stepping forward for more involvement.

Whether or not you agree with my assessments, please consider the candidates and get out on election day to support the ones you choose. Thank you for taking the time to consider this message and the attached answers. Together, we can restore our city to the beautiful place it was.

Yours truly
Stewart Johnston

Danielle Topliss
SJ Law
1521 Amelia Street
Victoria BC Canada
V8W 2K1

#34 ted - 3 - dots

ted - 3 - dots

Banned

• Banned
  • 187 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 08:43 PM

( snip snip by ted... )

openly questioned the wisdom of situating all the social services in the downtown. I have encountered Geoff many times over his years on council and on the Greater Victoria Harbour Authority board. While we have not seen eye to eye at all times, I always knew that his decisions would be reasoned and that my arguments would be given intelligent consideration

( snip snip )

Together, we can restore our city to the beautiful place it was.

Yours truly
Stewart Johnston

Danielle Topliss
SJ Law
1521 Amelia Street
Victoria BC Canada
V8W 2K1

-------- I've been watching Jeff-Young over most of his PATHETIC career --------

he should have been gone LONG AGO ....!!!!!!!! ( in "MY" oppion that is ...! )

Check his record ...

ted... ( never , was I ever happy , about Jeff ) why ...?

---- you would have had to have been @ city council to see his reaction,
to the things I feel near & dear to my hart ...!

Some of the reason's you quote above for voting for Jeff-Young ,
can be taught to any smart monkey ware-ing a business suit.
(ok , maybe not...! ) but, I'd expect the same type of responce from any city-council person...!

I've watched Jeff Young as he worked on council ...!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously and Personally in my oppion ,
I suggest you re-think-ing of your Jeff-Young endorse-ment...

( if you don't want to check his record, then take my word for it )

--------- I offer a ----- anti-endorsement...? ---- type thinking -----

again I've watched Jeff @ City-Hall ,
during the "development permit process" and other council business as well...!

and I'm saying he's slipped under your radar...!!!!!!!!!

---------- No , I am NOT slagging Jeff Young ----------

I am saying , as a person who has been to city-council meetings since 1996,
I think I know what I saw ( Vs , somebody who has never been there )

I'm talking about what I saw , IN CITY-COUNCIL ,,, and
I'm NOT talking about Jeff-Young as a Non-Council Person...!

ted... ( I'm sorry to be so wrong , on so many issue's ) , but these are my opinion's .

;{-

take them for what YOU feel they are worth
the same as you , should with any endorsement ,,,
from any website YOU found on the Internet ...!

#35 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 16 November 2008 - 10:55 AM

Thank you for running, Sue -- it's a huge undertaking and I appreciate that you put yourself out there (and out here, on VV) to do it!

#36 Sue Woods

Sue Woods
  • 621 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 01:40 AM

Thank you for running, Sue -- it's a huge undertaking and I appreciate that you put yourself out there (and out here, on VV) to do it!

Thanks Ms. B. - It was an interesting journey - a road I'm glad I took despite the daunting math, party machinery, and not having a guidebook. My only regret is filling out all the surveys like a good schoolgirl. I spent approx 57 hours when I could have been out meeting people. It felt like a brain drain, in hindsight, since only a small handful made it to the various organization's web sites. My advice to anyone thinking of running next time is to question the benefit and distination of their ideas/ hard work.

Anyway, great to meet you along the way! Your smile picked up my spirits many times. So thank YOU. :)

Ms. Sue

#37 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 10:33 AM

Victoria would have benefited greatly from having someone as responsive and open-minded as you on council Sue. Thank you so much for all the time you put in. I'm looking forward to continuing our discussions here on VV.

By the way, if you want your username changed, just send a private message to Mike or Dylan. You can get rid of the "candidate" part, or choose a pseudonym if you would prefer.
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.
Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900), The Picture of Dorian Gray, 1891

#38 arfenarf

arfenarf
  • 322 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 11:15 AM

Susan, I was mightily impressed by your presence here and thank you for participating in what must have been a tremendously stressful exercise.

Your quality of discourse, open mind, and interesting perspective put you on my pick list - and I confess that I would never have heard of you if it weren't for your participation here.

Thanks again, and better luck next time.

#39 mat

mat
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 01:41 PM

Susan, I echo the praise from Caramia, Ms B Havin, arfenarf and others who have posted here regarding your campaign. You ran a very positive and open discourse here on VV, and greatly helped highlight issues and possible solutions to city and regional problems. You kept the conversation going and often put yourself on the line. Well done - I think all of us would like to see you run again.

Q? - are you going back to your radio show on CFAX?

#40 Sue Woods

Sue Woods
  • 621 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 05:12 PM

Thank you Mat. Yes I am back on the air this Saturday (1-2pm).

And while yesterday I swore I would never journey that way again - today I am of a different mind and think I will. So here's to 2011. Next time a little wiser about the politics of politics.

Cheers for now, Sue

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users