Photo

Plastic bag bans/regulation/charges

• Please log in to reply
2049 replies to this topic

#521 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 19 January 2018 - 03:28 PM

Don't forget, the customer pays for everything - bags, chill charges, etc. ..

True, but other business expenses are built into the "sticker price" and not added on top -  nor forced on the business by the whims of one municipality.

• Midnightly and Star Dust like this

#522 Star Dust

Star Dust
  • 274 posts

Posted 19 January 2018 - 05:26 PM

True, but other business expenses are built into the "sticker price" and not added on top -  nor forced on the business by the whims of one municipality.

Exactly........The business expense should ALWAYS be built into the sticker price. Never added on at the till as an additional charge. It's simply BAD BUSINESS to do it that way.

• Nparker likes this

#523 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 19 January 2018 - 05:41 PM

I just made an impromptu shopping trip to London Drugs. For an additional 5 cents I was able to carry home my purchases in the rain in a "single use" plastic bag. In a few months time, under the same circumstances LD will lose out on a $46 sale. 

• mbjj likes this

#524 Star Dust

Star Dust
  • 274 posts

Posted 19 January 2018 - 06:11 PM

I just made an impromptu shopping trip to London Drugs. For an additional 5 cents I was able to carry home my purchases in the rain in a "single use" plastic bag. In a few months time, under the same circumstances LD will lose out on a $46 sale. 

I sense sarcasm when you say "Single Use Plastic Bag?"

• Nparker and todd like this

#525 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 20 January 2018 - 09:13 AM

As I think I mentioned, I bought a robe there last week that was not a planned purchase. And it was raining.

• Nparker likes this

#526 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 20 January 2018 - 09:39 AM

As I think I mentioned, I bought a robe there last week that was not a planned purchase. And it was raining.

If you bought a shower curtain with the robe, you wouldn't have to worry about the rain.

• rjag likes this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#527 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 20 January 2018 - 11:09 AM

If you bought a shower curtain with the robe, you wouldn't have to worry about the rain.

Better yet, each business will create a co-op where every regular customer buys in to share a batch of bags and therefore when you go shopping you are being provided with something that you own.....therefore no transaction at the till. The store charges an annual storage fee of approx $0.02 per bag. So every year you go in and 'renew' your membership for $20 and you are entitled to 100 bags.

• Nparker and Love the rock like this

#528 Love the rock

Love the rock
  • 945 posts

Posted 20 January 2018 - 02:15 PM

I think we should get a batch of single use bags with such sayings.

It’s from under my sink I’ll use it again .

I knew I saved it for a reason.

I recycle all used plastic bags .

Hands of my bag Lisa .

Keep your bicycle away from my bag ,you bag .

Cody for Mayor
  • VicHockeyFan, Nparker, rjag and 2 others like this

#529 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 20 January 2018 - 02:49 PM

Presumably, London Drugs will still supply their "wet umbrella bags" at the entrance to the store.

Large_Wet_Umbrella_Bags.jpg

If they are there after July 1st, you know where I'll be getting my "single use bags" when shopping. Sure they're an awkward size, but if you use enough of them you could carry quite a bit.

• JanionGuy, Love the rock and mbjj like this

#530 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 20 January 2018 - 04:12 PM

Our shower is glassed in so we don't need a plastic curtain, lol.

I think I took one of those umbrella bags once to use for my umbrella when I take it to work.

#531 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 20 January 2018 - 04:31 PM

...I think I took one of those umbrella bags once to use for my umbrella when I take it to work.

Not that I want them on Lisa & Co.'s hit list but the umbrella bags are the very definition of "single use", but by all means, ban grocery bags, 'cuz you know, "the environment".

#532 JanionGuy

JanionGuy
  • 772 posts

Posted 20 January 2018 - 05:35 PM

Presumably, London Drugs will still supply their "wet umbrella bags" at the entrance to the store.

If they are there after July 1st, you know where I'll be getting my "single use bags" when shopping. Sure they're an awkward size, but if you use enough of them you could carry quite a bit.

those umbrella bags are also great for fishing.  Perfect size to put your killed salmon into.  Again, single use for sure!

Edited by JanionGuy, 20 January 2018 - 05:36 PM.

• VicHockeyFan and Nparker like this

#533 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 20 January 2018 - 06:45 PM

Perhaps here at VV we need to start making a list of all the ways in which "single use" plastic bags have second, third and more lives then deliver this list to the CoV council - on recycled paper of course.

#534 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 20 January 2018 - 06:52 PM

Perhaps here at VV we need to start making a list of all the ways in which "single use" plastic bags have second, third and more lives then deliver this list to the CoV council - on recycled paper of course.

I thought about putting the CoV logo on some plastic bags and releasing them in the wind. 

• Nparker, Love the rock, mbjj and 1 other like this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#535 exc911ence

exc911ence
  • 757 posts

Posted 20 January 2018 - 07:06 PM

Exactly........The business expense should ALWAYS be built into the sticker price. Never added on at the till as an additional charge. It's simply BAD BUSINESS to do it that way.

Insert "gasoline surcharge" here....

I agree 100% with your cost of doing business stance, and I'm lumping the gasoline surcharge in with it. If a company is in the business of transporting people, products or packages then fuelling their delivery vehicles is up to them regardless of what the price at the pumps is.

#536 Star Dust

Star Dust
  • 274 posts

Posted 20 January 2018 - 07:23 PM

Insert "gasoline surcharge" here....

I agree 100% with your cost of doing business stance, and I'm lumping the gasoline surcharge in with it. If a company is in the business of transporting people, products or packages then fuelling their delivery vehicles is up to them regardless of what the price at the pumps is.

The problem however, is that most companies already put all of their business expenses into the price tag. But they rely on customers not knowing this, or even thinking about it. By achieving that one very simple allusion, they can then add surcharges on at the till and just tell the customer "Well their is fuel, staffing, electricity, rent, bank fees, computer fees etc." even though they have already calculated that into the price tag.  Basically it's a SHAM that's been going on for decades.

#537 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 20 January 2018 - 07:28 PM

But here is a strange thing.  Almost no company/retailer puts all the taxes, eco fees, bottle deposits on the store shelf price.  You get stuck with that at the till.

But almost every gas retailer puts the all-in price on their exterior signage.

• Matt R. likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#538 Star Dust

Star Dust
  • 274 posts

Posted 20 January 2018 - 07:31 PM

But here is a strange thing.  Almost no company/retailer puts all the taxes, eco fees, bottle deposits on the store shelf price.  You get stuck with that at the till.

But almost every gas retailer puts the all-in price on their exterior signage.

Ah........But they do. They just depend on your not knowing it.

#539 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 21 January 2018 - 12:31 AM

They do what?
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#540 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 21 January 2018 - 07:27 AM

I thought about putting the CoV logo on some plastic bags and releasing them in the wind. 

This morning the neighbours leaves have all arrived in this sou'easter, so a good time to return the favour with your excess plastic bags.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users